New here and to owning a chameleon. Any suggestions?

xxaprilrose

Established Member
Alright hi everyone! So I am planning on buying a panther chameleon sometime soon but right now im only in the process of buying/setting up the enclosure. The enclosure I purchased was the reptibreeze 2x2x4. I bought a 3d background for the back panel only that I plan on putting in. I also plan on using real sticks since we have had a ton of storms this past month I have way too many to count anyways. But I do want to add in some cool green mossy branches I saw at a reptile store near by. It said it was for chameleons... but my question is would it be safe? I love the mossy/green look and that's kind of what I want to go for. I unfortunately do not know the brand or get a picture of them. Also, the t5 light fixture, do I buy 24in to go horizontally accross the enclosure or do I do 30in and do it diagonally? Ive seen both setups but I am unsure what is more recommend. And the last question I have for the enclosure... I want to add plants. Is lowes or home depot safe to buy them at for the chameleon? Or do they use chemicals in their soil? Thanks so much in advance!

Alright hi everyone! So I am planning on buying a panther chameleon sometime soon but right now im only in the process of buying/setting up the enclosure. The enclosure I purchased was the reptibreeze 2x2x4. I bought a 3d background for the back panel only that I plan on putting in. I also plan on using real sticks since we have had a ton of storms this past month I have way too many to count anyways. But I do want to add in some cool green mossy branches I saw at a reptile store near by. It said it was for chameleons... but my question is would it be safe? I love the mossy/green look and that's kind of what I want to go for. I unfortunately do not know the brand or get a picture of them. Also, the t5 light fixture, do I buy 24in to go horizontally accross the enclosure or do I do 30in and do it diagonally? Ive seen both setups but I am unsure what is more recommend. And the last question I have for the enclosure... I want to add plants. Is lowes or home depot safe to buy them at for the chameleon? Or do they use chemicals in their soil? Thanks so much in advance!
No mossy anything. Panthers will bite their branches and moss is an impaction risk. Also it does not dry out. You want 24 inch horizontally. They do not actually make a 30 inch fixture. Those that you see are 30 inches for the fixture itself but the bulb you use is the 22 inch bulb for the 24 inch fixture. They center the bulb in the larger fixture. Lowes and homedepot are fine. Re pot your plants with organic soil.

This is a great site to learn accurate husbandry https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Hi and welcome! :)
While the mossy sticks do look nice, it’s best not to use them. Even though panthers don’t eat their plants, they do lick their branches and if it shoots at a feeder on the moss, there’s impaction risk. All natural branches will look great and you won’t even miss the moss. Lots of live plants will further add a beautiful aesthetic. I get many plants from Lowe’s and Home Depot. Just make sure to wash the leaves of any residue and repot them in an organic soil. Cover the soil with river rocks at least 1-2” in size to prevent any accidental soil ingestion. You will want to get a good plant light to keep everything alive and thriving. Adding a couple of safe plant graphics. A 24” T5 with either a 5.0 or 6% uvb is perfect and can be put diagonally just fine.
0C382828-9B0A-49C9-9CBB-F8CC4AAE9B45.jpeg 1D495B1B-7B57-4844-9564-C0FC30817A21.jpeg

Welcome to the forums! This is a great step-by-step video that walks you through how to set up a chameleon enclosure and answers most of your questions:

Thanks everyone! And yes, I will be getting a male. As for that video, I will watch it when I get home. Ironically I have seen all your videos except this one I think? Cant wait to watch it. :) BUt will def stay away from any fake moss. I had a feeling that was going to be the answer so I figured I would ask to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom