New Gutload

drcrossfire

Avid Member
I have been using this as a "gutload blend"

Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Butternut Squash, Papaya, Apples, Carrots, Kale, Collards, Bee Pollen, Calcium, Kelp powder

It is in order of most to least-- what do you guys think?

Nice gutload except I don't think you need the calcium. You are dusting your feeders I assume and kale is high in vitamin A which is good. I said calcium before but I had to edit that.!!! It does contain calcium also along with some of the other greens you are feeding.

Last edited:
I have been using this as a "gutload blend"
Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Butternut Squash, Papaya, Apples, Carrots, Kale, Collards, Bee Pollen, Calcium, Kelp powder
It is in order of most to least-- what do you guys think?

Excellent choices.

Ditto to carol5208 about not necessarily adding calcium supplement to the gutload, as too much can actually kill off crickets (roaches are hardier).

damn awsome gutload, :cool:

i think yours is the simpliest list yet very affective most new owners should look at for a healthy and kickass gutload, and then add another a veggie/fuit to mix up a bit, but overall nice

and i might use your list now as a cool bloend of my own, thx:cool:;):p

I have no idea where to get some of those ingredients, but I was wondering if there were any pre-made gutloads that would work (such as repashy gutload or repashy super pig) by themselves, or with a few additional supplements.

If this is very looked down on, please keep in mind I am a total newb, and not yet a cham parent.

How are you preparing the blend? :)

Cheers?

Luis

I wonder if you dehydrate some of the more "wet" items, can you blend them together and store them with less worry over spoiling?

I'm constantly trying to remove spoiled uneaten fruits and veggies while my dry gutload gets forgotten. Maybe I can dehydrate, blend, and store the gutload and add water to them upon feeding...:rolleyes::confused:

Last edited:
I have no idea where to get some of those ingredients, but I was wondering if there were any pre-made gutloads that would work (such as repashy gutload or repashy super pig) by themselves, or with a few additional supplements.

If this is very looked down on, please keep in mind I am a total newb, and not yet a cham parent.

It's kind of a labor intensive mix, so I actually make it in big batches for me and a few of my friends and freeze it. We call it "bug booster"-- lol.

If you need some help I can spare a pack or two to get you started (it lasts a while). Send me a PM if you're interested

It's kind of a labor intensive mix, so I actually make it in big batches for me and a few of my friends and freeze it. We call it "bug booster"-- lol.

If you need some help I can spare a pack or two to get you started (it lasts a while). Send me a PM if you're interested

Freezing it will take away a lot of nutrition.

I've done a lot of research and have seen no evidence to support this- has anyone found any good sources that supports this?

I do know it can leech b vitamins out of greens, but that is why I added bee pollen.

My belief is that making your own is better, in that you can thereby control what nutrients you are offering. Most premade gutloads arent very good, or include preformed vitamin A and D which you may like to have finer control over. Fresh fruit and veg provide hydration, in addition to nutrition, and the nutrients in fresh foods tend to be somewhat more bioavailable that those from supplements.

more info on gutloading:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/425-may-2011-gutload.html

Last edited:

Thanks! I will send you a PM!

I wonder if you dehydrate some of the more "wet" items, can you blend them together and store them with less worry over spoiling?

I'm constantly trying to remove spoiled uneaten fruits and veggies while my dry gutload gets forgotten. Maybe I can dehydrate, blend, and store the gutload and add water to them upon feeding...:rolleyes::confused:

i actually started a thread about that lol i may be trying it in the coming weeks

So I got a few people interested in some of my special recipe :D

I think Im going to make some more this weekend, so if anyone else is interested send me a PM and I'll just make some extra!

A kitchen can only get so messy :cool:

Can you describe what you do a little more? Do you grind it all up? How? What is the consistency when it defrosts?

Can you describe what you do a little more? Do you grind it all up? How? What is the consistency when it defrosts?

I wash it all, run it through a blender, then freeze flat in bags. There is enough liquid that all I do is break off pieces and put it in the corners of my gutload container. When it defrosts it looks like a pile of mush, but doesnt get very runny:
PICT0005.jpg

It was a lot easier than chopping up new vegetables every day, and it has the variety I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom