New Furcifer campani borns!!!

happy14

Hello,

from the 16th to the 18.12.2010th three Furcifer campani female have slipped!!!
They are big approx. 2-2,5cm. They sit everything in her terraria, individually. From when they eat?
Is it normal that they sometimes hold one or both eyes short-circuited and then again without I them touches open?

Photos enclosed.

Attachments

• DSC00270.JPG
    DSC00270.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC00271.jpg
    DSC00271.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 289
I have had a veiled clutch hatch with a very similar eye problem. I think it was caused by me incubating them at to low of a temp. I hope yours do well. Hopefully someone can give you good advise. Goodluck!

Congratulations, I would love to even see a live campani, to own one would be fantastic. Hope all works out well. Please keep posting pictures.

I make pics in the next days;)

They sit sometimes under the light an their eyes are sometimes are closed.
But not long!
I hope, they eat soon... .

Cute little cham! i like the white stripe on the side! :) Hope they doin well, and gonna eat soon! :) Good luck!

Awww! Congratulations, they are gorgeous! They look like little watermelons with legs, lol! If they are closing their eyes under the light then maybe it is too bright for them. Maybe you could use a lower wattage bulb for them until they grow a bit bigger?

Hello,

I have an UV-lamp with 13Watt.
I hope they eat today.
They close somtimes their eyes and then open their eyes again.

Best Regards
happy14

what lamps are you using on them? what type of uv are you using, and whats the strength of the uv? also what are you feeding them?

rob

I'm just looking at your couple of pictures- not sure when the larger closeup picture was taken (in incubation box or in rearing container), but one thing that will cause baby chams eyes to close too much is constant moisture in the environment. Make sure things dry completely between mistings. My best success with baby chameleons (including many years ago campani) mist gently all surfaces so you have a very light covering of water droplets that will evaporate within 2 or 3 hours. Wait until all water has evaporated completely from the corners of the rearing container and within an hour or so of all water droplets dissappearing, repeat the cycle and mist again the same as before- try for total evaporation within a 2 or 3 hours. Longer than 3 hours is too long.

If eyes are shut prior to misting, I have found it helpful to actually spray the baby gently with the water to alert it to begin drinking and get its eyes open. Allow a few minutes to drink and then feed immediately with supplement dusted insects before eyes close once again.

Often adequate nutrition and water and adequate heat will get eyes open again. Usually the cause is too much moisture, too low temperature (most especially combined with too much moisture) or inadequate supplementation (especially indoors and especially if too much is fed at one time and insects quickly loose the supplement powder).

If eyes are shut in incubation container- maybe stuff in eyes from vermiculite. Looking at the vermiculite size compared to babies in your pictures, I don't think this likely. All the same, you can try fixing by making sure to spritz the baby gently directly for a couple of seconds to help it clean it's eyes.

More likely- if this happens when emerging from egg, the cause is inadequate supplementation of the mother or diet of mother, and not a lot can be done in that case, except try to prevent it in the future by correcting her conditions.

These babies are tiny- will need drosophila melanagastor, springtails and the like. Tiny food can also be found if you go to the forest and collect dead leaves and compost from the ground. Indoors warm the leaves up for a day or two and keep them slightly moist- lots of tiny insects will hatch out of eggs in the leaves.

Congratulations on your success thus far- campani are really beautiful little chameleons.

Last edited:
Hello,

to thanks.

So I hold campani during the day with 22°C and an air humidity of 80%. In the night with 16°C and an air humidity of 85-90%.
Is too much air humidity???
So I should always spray something and give a lot of fog???

Thank you.

I think temperature is OK. Are you keeping singly in very small containers or together in large container? In large container, give gentle heat- maybe a flourescent tube is enough. For cooler species I like the CFL bulbs now available - not the uvb but natural spectrum without the UVB. These give off a very mild and gentle heat. If you are keeping in small containers or mild heat without too much in a larger container is a problem- I think 22 is OK.

I didn't (and still do not) measure humidity accurately, so not sure. I only know you want a cycle of wet/dry every few hours during the day for best results, followed by a final wet a short while before lights out for night instead of constant moisture. If you have that high humidity from constant moisture- can cause eyes to close. I am speaking in terms of baby chameleons in general- didn't have that problem with my campani and my experience with those was many years ago and limited to a couple of clutches (sold all campani and some globifer in mid 1990s for money to buy panthers when I knew madagascar was closing and did not know panthers would still be available in the future. I felt panthers were my best chance of multigenerational breeding. Wish I still had the campani and globifer instead now because I never saw either species again here, but panthers all the time- :()- but I did see it in others over the years exposed to constant moisture. If you do not have continual water droplets present that do not evaporate or fog on glass and terrarium is still humid without these between sprayings, I then think that your humidity levels are fine. If your high humidity is because sides of container and leaves and branches never dry off and always have water on them- then I think that is not good.

Key IMO is a wet/dry cycle several times throughout the day. Too long dry- babies dry up, too long wet, eyes can close and invites bacteria problems too.

So with 80% of air humidity everything always dries (branches et cetera). Now I wear the nebulous machine. Time look like they morning be.

Hi,

a little update... .

Attachments

• DSC00439.JPG
    DSC00439.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC00446.JPG
    DSC00446.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC00433.JPG
    DSC00433.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC00442.JPG
    DSC00442.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 144

The one F. campani still has the problem with the eyes.
But he drink and eat;)

I hope the best for my little ones.... .

it is wonderful that they are doing so well. The pictures are great, thanks so much for sharing. I do love campani, I would love to every get to see one live.

Hi,

the babys are so little;)
I hope, they fast grow up and live long... .

*laurie*

Come to me at Berlin, then you can see campani:D

Back
Top Bottom