New Clear Side Enclosures from Dragon Strand

DeremensisBlue

Chameleon Enthusiast
Site Sponsor
Dragon Strand introduces the new Clear Side Enclosure line. This is the flagship line of enclosures at Dragon Strand suitable for displays meant to show off your chameleon and interior design.

Large-Film-Cage-450.jpg

The Clear Side Enclosures have clear solid sides on the front, right side and back. The left side and top are screen. This design has the following benefits:
1) You have a clear view inside your enclosure without looking through screen
2) Mist is kept in the enclosure protecting your walls and furniture from mist spray
3) The left screen side provides ventilation and a surface for controlled release of feeders
4) Humidity gradient. You are now able to create humidity gradient. With the mister pointed at the right corner which is filled with plants you can create a humidity pocket which lessens as the chameleon moves to the left screen side.
5) Included Dragon Ledges. The Large Keeper Clear Side (48” tall) and Clear Side Atrium enclosures both come standard with a set of Dragon Ledges so you are set for mounting branches and hanging pots.

Viewing comparison between clear side and screen side
Film-vs-screen-comparison-640.jpg

Photograph taken through clear front
Portrait-through-film-800.jpg

The material being used is a clear, durable PVC. This material is much lighter than glass and is more scratch resistant than acrylic. The light material allows us to create enclosures that have the aesthetically pleasing clear viewing, but in the sizes that are appropriate for chameleons.

The first full display was shown at the Los Angeles Reptile Super Show at the beginning of August. It was a Tiki themed presentation and not only was it a blast to make, but it was a gorgeous presentation fit for the incredible creature that a chameleon is.

The Tiki Enclosure at the Los Angeles Reptile Super Show
Clear-Side-at-Show-640.jpg

All Dragon Strand Enclosure sizes may be created with the clear side technology. Standard inventory items are the Larger Keeper (48") and the Atrium Enclosure. The Medium Wide Breeder and Compact Cage Systems are available with a clear front. For more details and ordering information go to the Clear Side Enclosure page at the Dragon Strand website. Send an email through the Contact Us page of the website if you are interested in any other enclosure sizes with the Clear Side panels.

FAQ:
Will this clear PVC material discolor or get brittle in the elements? To test this we put a clear side enclosure out in a desert-type environment for eight months (at the time of this writing) and counting. This enclosure has been through the near freezing winter nighttime lows and the triple digit summer highs. It is still as clear and flexible as when it started.

Won’t my chameleon see its reflection and stress out? At certain angles you will get reflections and chameleons will see theirs. All logic points to chameleons seeing their reflection and thinking there is another chameleon in their enclosures. But this just does not seem to happen. Many experienced chameleon keepers keep chameleons behind glass without a report of problem and one major breeder uses only glass with no issues (references for these claims available). As logical as this would be, the experiences of many keepers shows that chameleons do not react to reflections in glass/acrylic/clear PVC like they do a mirror.

Don’t chameleons need an ALL screen cage or else they die of respiratory infection?
The material the chameleon enclosure is made of is irrelevant. What causes the lowering of the immunity system (which allows infections to take hold) is stagnant air and trapped heat. The issue is that back when we in the chameleon community were trying to figure out appropriate housing we had few choices. Aquariums were the cage many of us started with and were prone to stagnant air and trapped heat if you did not set them up correctly. We did not have these hybrid terrariums with ventilation back when that sound bite about screen cages was being created and began being passed around as immutable law.
The clear side enclosures have the complete left panel and top panel screen so no part of the enclosure is more than 23 inches from open air. It is far enough that humidity gradients can be created, but air does not get a chance to stagnate.
These clear side enclosures are built specifically for chameleons.

tiki-god-1024.jpg

Last edited:
Bill, your enclosures are awesome! If I used enclosures I'd definitely buy from you but I free range my guys. I do have a question for you though. Would the chameleon receive any ventilation through the PVC material or is it more like glass?

Bill, your enclosures are awesome! If I used enclosures I'd definitely buy from you but I free range my guys. I do have a question for you though. Would the chameleon receive any ventilation through the PVC material or is it more like glass?

Jan,
I would compare the transparent PVC to a thicker version of inflatable beach ball material. So those panels offer no ventilation. If someone wanted to have all four sides clear then I would want to make the service door (the bottom flip door) screen to get airflow from top to bottom.

For high humidity humid areas, such as where you live, the humidity retention isn't as much of a concern. For these areas I am working on putting together an offering of retrofit doors where people can buy the screen cage and then have a clear door for the viewing benefits.

Bill

Thank you for the information Bill. My husband and I had the pleasure of meeting you and your lovely wife at the Super Show last year and got to see some of the cages you make. My husband and I were both impressed. Awesome work!

Thank you for the information Bill. My husband and I had the pleasure of meeting you and your lovely wife at the Super Show last year and got to see some of the cages you make. My husband and I were both impressed. Awesome work!

Thank you, Jan!

I remember you and your husband. It was great putting a face to the online name!
Bill

Cages

I have MANY of bill's cages. The quality and customer service is second to none.
Bill it was a pleasure getting to see you last month in Long Beach.
Talk to you soon,
PS Share some of those Brady pictures with us all :~)

I have MANY of bill's cages. The quality and customer service is second to none.
Bill it was a pleasure getting to see you last month in Long Beach.
Talk to you soon,
PS Share some of those Brady pictures with us all :~)

Thank you, Steve! And at the risk of derailing my flagship enclosure announcement, here are some pictures of the B. thamnobates I was fortunate to get from you!
The Dragon Strand B. Thamnobates Chronicle
(Download Warning: This is gorgeous image intensive!)
Bill

From my understanding the new LG atrium has the clear pvc on all sides except the top and on side which are screen or something of the sort to allow for airflow and clear viewing both. In my area where its very dry much of the year im hoping the new design helps keep humidity up as well. Oh I guess it says left side in description above!

It looks great I cant wait. Will they not ship worldwide?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    702.6 KB · Views: 561
It looks great I cant wait. Will they not ship worldwide?
Yes, we will ship worldwide, but the cost can be prohibitive, unfortunately. These are pretty big boxes and some carriers won't even accept them for international delivery with their standard service.

Hi Bill, what mil thickness is the clear side material? Someone posted a thread about how to clean these and it got me thinking about the durability and best way to clean the clear panels.

Back
Top Bottom