New chamelon owner:

sneezyjoy8

Hi there! My name is N. Johnson, and I am going to get my first chameleon very soon, and would like some advice in case I got anything wrong or have missed something. I am getting a baby panther chameleon and I have done substantial research into temperature, lighting, humidity, misting sessions, ect. These questions have more to do with what I couldn't find answers for anywhere else.

First of all, I have attached photos of my enclosure and the plants I will shortly be putting into it. I have 1 pothos plant, 1 spider plant, and 1 fern plant. I am curious as to how long it takes for the plants to grow in, and if there are superior spots to place them in. Also, should I add more branches, or do I have enough?
20210228_120512.jpg
20210228_120546.jpg

What sized bugs do you recommend? I couldn't find the growth rate of the bugs I will be feeding, and I am scared that small bugs may not be nutritious enough, but medium bugs might be a bit too big for a baby. Furthermore, how long in advance should I order the bugs?
Sidenote: If anyone lives in Lazio, Italy, are there any good online shops for bugs? I am considering agripetgarden.it .

Lastly, what age is it appropriate to start handling them and working on bonding?

Thank you so much!

So those plants are good but they will be on the bottom. Chameleons need leaves everywhere. You need to get plants that are high or at least fake leaves ( nit recommended) on branches for gim to hide in high spots. About the bugs.. they should be the size of the space between your chameleon eyes. If he’s a baby he will eat at least 3-4 bugs per day. What lights do you have?

So those plants are good but they will be on the bottom. Chameleons need leaves everywhere. You need to get plants that are high or at least fake leaves ( nit recommended) on branches for gim to hide in high spots. About the bugs.. they should be the size of the space between your chameleon eyes. If he’s a baby he will eat at least 3-4 bugs per day. What lights do you have?
I have the Arcadia ProT5 Linear and have ordered the Mini Halogen spot.

I have the Arcadia ProT5 Linear and have ordered the Mini Halogen spot.
Please do not use spots; they create a sudden change from ambient to instant hot, and can be difficult to regulate. Floods are much better (though standard household incandescents work fine); both will provide temperature gradients.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/lighting/
A basking bulb is any light bulb that generates heat to create a warm spot at the top of the cage. Reptiles are ectotherms (cold-blooded), meaning they need to absorb heat from their environment to regulate their own body heat since they cannot produce it. Therefore a temperature gradient in their cage is essential to good health.

These questions have more to do with what I couldn't find answers for anywhere else.
Nothing wrong with asking here, but you can find answers to most anything by searching the archives. You can do this directly (there's an advanced search to help narrow things down) or by searching google—relevant items from this site will turn up in google searches, generally grouped together.

First of all, I have attached photos of my enclosure and the plants I will shortly be putting into it. I have 1 pothos plant, 1 spider plant, and 1 fern plant. I am curious as to how long it takes for the plants to grow in, and if there are superior spots to place them in. Also, should I add more branches, or do I have enough?
Pothos and Spiders are relatively fast-growing. Either can be placed on the floor or hung. Pothos will grow like a vine so it can hang or climb.

Here is the best link I know for enclosure plant theory, with suggestions for safe plants. Start with a centerpiece, and build out from there.
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

Whether you have enough branches (some will say there are never enough) depends (IMO) on how they blend with the plants. Young chams particularly will spend most of their time in the treetops. Females are more likely than males to explore further down, as they'll eventually need to get to ground (they need a lay bin) to lay their infertile eggs.

What sized bugs do you recommend? I couldn't find the growth rate of the bugs I will be feeding, and I am scared that small bugs may not be nutritious enough, but medium bugs might be a bit too big for a baby. Furthermore, how long in advance should I order the bugs?
Sidenote: If anyone lives in Lazio, Italy, are there any good online shops for bugs? I am considering agripetgarden.it .
Feeder insects should be able to fit between the chameleon's eyes. Growth rate depends on species. You'll want to provide a variety, and gut load them a day or two before feeding.

1614524345645.png

1614524462743.png

1614524493649.png

Lastly, what age is it appropriate to start handling them and working on bonding?
After they've adjusted to their new enclosure, but take it very slowly. Some will take to occasional handling, and some never will.

Regarding the enclosure, I'm concerned that the mesh is so large, most insects will escape right through it.
  • Is this to be an indoor or outdoor enclosure (or both)?
  • What are the dimensions?
Please make use of the information in the Resources section, and on https://chameleonacademy.com/ particularly the husbandry program.

The website caskabove.com is a good resource too. Puts all the information given here into one website. Lots of care guides and information to check out!

Back
Top Bottom