New chameleon!!

Established Member
Just got a new chameleon yesterday🙂 I haven’t had one since my old boy passed last year. I got her off Craigslist yesterday and she looks super healthy! Here she is with her cage
7C9C92E4-0BF6-471A-98BA-FA0265E656EC.jpeg
9EB311A8-5E70-4E5C-8BC5-D2DD764634BD.jpeg

I’m using a linear t5ho 5.0 bulb, 50 watt heat bulb, and a sansi led light for the plants 🙂 most of the stuff I had left over from my last Cham, just replaced the bulbs.
So with your T5HO and the 5.0 bulb you will want a distance of 8-9 inches to the highest branches below it. Since your basking level is so full and high you will want to lift the fixtures up off the cage to be the correct distance. Otherwise the cham will be in extreme over exposure levels. I would consider trimming some of the plants down as well. You do not want her to rub her casque on the screen top because it will damage it.

Lifting the basking fixture up off the cage would be a good idea as well to prevent thermal burns to the casque and spine.

I am pretty sure you have a female and I can confirm if you take a pic of the back of her back feet.

So with your T5HO and the 5.0 bulb you will want a distance of 8-9 inches to the highest branches below it. Since your basking level is so full and high you will want to lift the fixtures up off the cage to be the correct distance. Otherwise the cham will be in extreme over exposure levels. I would consider trimming some of the plants down as well. You do not want her to rub her casque on the screen top because it will damage it.

Lifting the basking fixture up off the cage would be a good idea as well to prevent thermal burns to the casque and spine.

I am pretty sure you have a female and I can confirm if you take a pic of the back of her back feet.
Yeah she is a female, I checked. How would I lift the lights off the screen? That’s the only reason why I haven’t done it is because I’m not totally sure what to use to prop them up.

Yeah she is a female, I checked. How would I lift the lights off the screen? That’s the only reason why I haven’t done it is because I’m not totally sure what to use to prop them up.
I have seen people use the wall anchors for things like plants and shelves. Measure from the branch up and install two on the wall. Make sure they have the longer arms to them and then set the fixture on those.

Depending on the length this may work for hanging or clamping the heat fixture to as well. Keep her basking temp 78-80 max.

You just have to be creative. But then they are at least sitting on metal. Your distance will depend on the fixture type and the bulb strength.

But you will want to clear out some of the growth on top. Is it a 2x2x4 foot cage? Looks like the smaller one. So you could go ahead and increase the cage size then the plants would have much more room and so would she. You will need room to accommodate a lay bin as well.

I have seen people use the wall anchors for things like plants and shelves. Measure from the branch up and install two on the wall. Make sure they have the longer arms to them and then set the fixture on those.

Depending on the length this may work for hanging or clamping the heat fixture to as well. Keep her basking temp 78-80 max.

You just have to be creative. But then they are at least sitting on metal. Your distance will depend on the fixture type and the bulb strength.

But you will want to clear out some of the growth on top. Is it a 2x2x4 foot cage? Looks like the smaller one. So you could go ahead and increase the cage size then the plants would have much more room and so would she. You will need room to accommodate a lay bin as well.
Yeah I plan on getting her a bigger cage, I just have to wait until I get paid to actually do it. I’ll try and figure something out for the lights.

View attachment 327900
This is what it looks like in the moment but I’ll probably have to get more plants
I do not think you need more plants. but I would add branches or fluckers vines so that the cham can get up and bask at the correct distance unobstructed by plants. And with you having a female you have to have room for a lay bin in the bottom as a permanent fixture in the cage as well as a way for her to easily navigate down to it.

I do not think you need more plants. but I would add branches or fluckers vines so that the cham can get up and bask at the correct distance unobstructed by plants. And with you having a female you have to have room for a lay bin in the bottom as a permanent fixture in the cage as well as a way for her to easily navigate down to it.
What would I need to fill the lay bin with? I have a container I can use and some play sand lying around if that would work

What would I need to fill the lay bin with? I have a container I can use and some play sand lying around if that would work
So you can used washed playsand. It should be moist enough to hold a tunnel but not wet. I would drill some tiny holes in the bottom of the bin so that it can drain off excess water if you have a misting system. What is the size of the container?

Attachments

• laybin graphic.jpg
    laybin graphic.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top Bottom