New chameleon?

Jruel714

Hello everyone!
This is my first ever post and possible first ever chameleon? I’ve never had a reptile before, but I do know Chameleons have very specific needs and I want to do it right or not at all. I keep getting this feeling of unsureness even though I’ve been reading up for a about a year/year and a half. Any and all first timers advice is welcome, or warnings. Is the unsureness normal for your first one or am I not ready? Here is a picture of one I am interested in right now, I’m in contact with the owner rehoming him and he’s about a year old. I’ve asked the basic questions, but does anyone have any recommendations I should ask. I also want to make sure I have the right lifestyle for it, which I believe I do. At this point in my research I believe I need to talk with actual owners, thank you all so much!

Attachments

• 1E586609-097E-41DE-9DEB-2D6D3B14FB75.jpeg
    1E586609-097E-41DE-9DEB-2D6D3B14FB75.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 95
Hello everyone!
This is my first ever post and possible first ever chameleon? I’ve never had a reptile before, but I do know Chameleons have very specific needs and I want to do it right or not at all. I keep getting this feeling of unsureness even though I’ve been reading up for a about a year/year and a half. Any and all first timers advice is welcome, or warnings. Is the unsureness normal for your first one or am I not ready? Here is a picture of one I am interested in right now, I’m in contact with the owner rehoming him and he’s about a year old. I’ve asked the basic questions, but does anyone have any recommendations I should ask. I also want to make sure I have the right lifestyle for it, which I believe I do. At this point in my research I believe I need to talk with actual owners, thank you all so much!
Hi there welcome to the forum.

he looks very healthy... You want to ask what type of UVB Lighting they are using and what supplements with the schedule for them. Why they are rehoming...

For accurate info to help you learn more I would read through this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Hi there welcome to the forum.

he looks very healthy... You want to ask what type of UVB Lighting they are using and what supplements with the schedule for them. Why they are rehoming...

For accurate info to help you learn more I would read through this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Thank you for your reply! I’ve listened to some of the chameleon academy podcast too, but it’s so long I have yet to finish! She uses Zoomed lights, one T5. And for supplements/feeding this is what she said “I feed him a mix of dubia roaches, horn worms, wax worms, and meal worms. All dusted with calcium powder without D3. I feed him every other day, about 5 food items for each meal and I dust his food with multivitamin and calcium with D3.” From your knowledge, how do you know you’re ready for your first chameleon, or do you never know? I just don’t want to screw it up, or do something wrong. Thanks again!

Thank you for your reply! I’ve listened to some of the chameleon academy podcast too, but it’s so long I have yet to finish! She uses Zoomed lights, one T5. And for supplements/feeding this is what she said “I feed him a mix of dubia roaches, horn worms, wax worms, and meal worms. All dusted with calcium powder without D3. I feed him every other day, about 5 food items for each meal and I dust his food with multivitamin and calcium with D3.” From your knowledge, how do you know you’re ready for your first chameleon, or do you never know? I just don’t want to screw it up, or do something wrong. Thanks again!
Sounds like she has a basic understanding of care... For his age it should be 3 food items every other day. Calcium without D3 at all feedings except two times a month you would do a multivitamin with D3 and vitamin A like Reptivite with D3. Meal worms should not be fed and I would not feed an adult wax worms.
Per the UVB find out what bulb strength she is using for the T5 and when she last replaced the bulb.

While he looks visually very healthy this does not mean there are not underlying issues such as parasites. But this is never a guarantee from a breeder either.

He looks strong and eyes look great. He also does not seem bothered by her holding him.

So how do you know if your ready lol. I don't think anyone really is ready... Your first cham is a roller coaster. You have to learn so much about their behavior to understand what everything means. But it seems as though you have done the proper husbandry research in the right places which gives you a lead on others. But this community is great about supporting new cham owners with their questions.

Back
Top Bottom