New chameleon owner questions + enclosure review

ok I know that one can be used for it as well. Did they tell you what her parasite load was?

I will give you the link to my thread. I dealt with it. Not all situations turn out like mine though so keep that in mind when you read through it. But there is a ton of info there that was given to me on how to clean and deal with it. It is a lot of work. Your stripping the cage down of basically everything. flukers vines are a good temporary replacement as they are easily wiped clean. The oocysts can live for years without being ingested. It is good that you cup feed. You will want to pull the cup every day and clean it. Don't let her eat off any branches and spot clean every day taking out the fecal. The fecal matter is how they recontaminate themselves. So licking a branch where the fecal was or a feeder running across a branch and her eating it.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/coccidia-help-and-cleaning-advice-please.170202/
Alright! I’m glad I caught it early then, since she’s only pooped once. I have dowels in addition to the fillers vines - are those pretty easy to clean?

Alright! I’m glad I caught it early then, since she’s only pooped once. I have dowels in addition to the fillers vines - are those pretty easy to clean?
no nothing porous. All wood would need to be tossed. Plants too. Fake plants you can clean and attach to the side to try to give her cover but not where she can poop on them. Read through my thread. It will help you. It really is a lot to try to explain and it is honestly one of the worst parasites to have to deal with. :( If you have other reptiles make sure you do not cross contaminate to them.

no nothing porous. All wood would need to be tossed. Plants too. Fake plants you can clean and attach to the side to try to give her cover but not where she can poop on them. Read through my thread. It will help you. It really is a lot to try to explain and it is honestly one of the worst parasites to have to deal with. :( If you have other reptiles make sure you do not cross contaminate to them.
Ah, ok. I’ll take out the dowels when I can visit the pet store to pick up more vines tomorrow.

I am so very glad that you took your sweet girl to the vet and we’re able to get a fecal and start treatment for the coccidia. Beman’s post on it is perhaps the best guide of treating it. It’s long and unfortunately has a sad ending, but has been a help to many others.
You’ll be needing to do a lot of cleaning and disinfecting, so this is one of the few times that plastic decor is ok. IMO, all of her current things…vines, plants, feeder station, enclosure, everything should be tossed out once she’s cleared of coccidia. She’ll be needing that larger enclosure anyhow, and what better way to celebrate successful course of treatment than with a big new beautiful mansion for her. :)

ok I know that one can be used for it as well. Did they tell you what her parasite load was?

I will give you the link to my thread. I dealt with it. Not all situations turn out like mine though so keep that in mind when you read through it. But there is a ton of info there that was given to me on how to clean and deal with it. It is a lot of work. Your stripping the cage down of basically everything. flukers vines are a good temporary replacement as they are easily wiped clean. The oocysts can live for years without being ingested. It is good that you cup feed. You will want to pull the cup every day and clean it. Don't let her eat off any branches and spot clean every day taking out the fecal. The fecal matter is how they recontaminate themselves. So licking a branch where the fecal was or a feeder running across a branch and her eating it.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/coccidia-help-and-cleaning-advice-please.170202/
I just finished reading through your thread. I’m so sorry that happened to Bahari and you had to deal with all that. Thank you for sharing your experience!

I just finished reading through your thread. I’m so sorry that happened to Bahari and you had to deal with all that. Thank you for sharing your experience!
Thank you hun. I try not to think about it anymore. It pretty well crushed me. But I know many others that did not go through what I did as far as losing their chameleon. So don’t let my situation freak you out. And listen to everything @MissSkittles is telling you to do for your husbandry. She knows her stuff.

Back
Top Bottom