New Cham

Lennoncham

Chameleon Enthusiast
My new female panther chameleon Cynthia. Just picked her up today.

D5846595-8743-452A-AF9D-0A0B0ED4B01D.jpeg
3D92B563-9CE8-46AA-B4DE-3046BF2E797A.jpeg
D2285698-1287-4842-AD37-3370AF07D6F3.jpeg

She looks very healthy!!! Where did you get her? I like how you set up your cage, mine is very similar. It maximizes the chams movement space

She looks very healthy!!! Where did you get her? I like how you set up your cage, mine is very similar. It maximizes the chams movement space

I got her from a reptile store near me called all reptiles. Thanks ya this is just a temporary setup until I can upgrade her in a couple months.

Update on Cynthia:

Well I have been having some problems with Cynthia’s left eye. She was fine the first couple days then she started closing it and trying to clean it.

Inset how to ask for help form here.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female panther chameleon 6-8 months not totally sure. Got her on December 28 2018.
  • Handling - Only once to put her in her cage. And 2 more times to flush her eye with saline solution.
  • Feeding - So far I have given her crickets , superworms, silkworms, and BSFL. About 8-10 crickets or equivalent in worms. Every other day. Gutloading crickets with Repashy superload and homemade dry gutloading.
  • Supplements - repticalcium without d3 every feeding. Reptile calcium with d3 twice a month and her private twice a month. Have given her vitamin a from a gel cap twice to try and help with her eye. Just got Repashy vitamin a but haven’t used it yet.
  • Watering - mistking misting system. Mist 4 times a day twice for 8 mins and twice for 3 mins. Have been giving her longer misting sessions to help clean her eyes 15 mins - half hour. Yes I have seen her drink.
  • Fecal Description - Looks normal. Brown with white urates.
  • History - Got her from pet store in December 28 2019. Has not been tested for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 16x16x30 reptibreeze.
  • Lighting - basking: 40 watt white household bulb. Uvb : 24” reptisun t5 5.0 uvb. On at 7 am off at 7 pm.
  • Temperature - Basking : 85 ambient : 72 - 75. overnight temp : about 65. Measured with a thermal heat gun and a probe thermometer.
  • Humidity - humidity levels : 45 - 75 maintained buy : misting system, cool mist humidifier that runs for 3-4 hours in the middle of the night. Have 3 sides of cage covered with plastic to keep water and humidity in. Have 2 live Pothos plants and her laying bin to all maintain humidity. Measured with a digital humidistat.
  • Plants - 2 live Pothos plants.
  • Placement - in my bedroom. Not near any vents or fans. Very low traffic just me. Top of cage is about 5 feet from floor.
  • Location - Ontario, Canada.

Current Problem - She was five the first few days I had her then she started closing her left eye. She still opens it and tries to clean it out but when it’s open it’s visibly misshaped. I’m not sure if she got something in her eye that bugging it or maybe scratched it. Or maybe she scratched it on something else. Or it could be something else completely.

What I have done : I have been giving her extra long mistings to help her flush it out.
I have tried to flush it out with a sterile saline solution twice. I have given her vitamin a twice on a worm. I have been running the cool mist humidifier at night.

She is not dehydrated. She is still very active. She’s eating and drinking.

One day her eye will look fine then a few hours later it will be closed again. She will try to open it but it looks off. She keeps moving it around like she’s trying to clean it and re center it.

I have a vet appointment scheduled for tomorrow afternoon but in the mean time if anyone can think of anything I haven’t or has any suggestions i would appreciate it.

First day I got her. Both eyes open and fine.
BE8128DA-CEC4-4EA3-B282-6DDC8991FCD5.jpeg

Now.
C2835981-C7ED-4E0D-9C86-14547E29D8DB.jpeg

329E7AEA-F235-49FF-87E8-D74308C80B06.jpeg
DC33B25F-CF6E-443D-9ECC-1AB5FEEFB412.jpeg
9CE6B445-84A4-4F55-A01B-2141EBC2C04B.jpeg
FB42D0F1-0AF9-4E29-9069-C942B58E946C.jpeg

the good thing is that she can still open and close her eye, closed eyes can often be a vit a deficiency, if you start to notice swelling too I would go to the vet again, vit a deficiencies are very common in panthers and can be really irritating to the eye

the good thing is that she can still open and close her eye, closed eyes can often be a vit a deficiency, if you start to notice swelling too I would go to the vet again, vit a deficiencies are very common in panthers and can be really irritating to the eye

Thanks. As stated above I have given her vitamin A twice on a worm. I don’t want to over do it tho as that would be equally bad or worse.

if she is trying hard to clean and flush out her eyes you should put her in the shower

Ya I don’t really have a good shower to use so I have been running her mister for longer periods of time. I have been giving her up to half hour misting sessions. Every few hours. Running a dehumidifier to ensure the cage dries out between mistings. I don’t want it completely saturated and cause a respiratory infection.

I have had the very same issue , I used bottle to flush her eye out and used zoo med reptile fogger . After a few days it fix the eye problem.

Thanks. As stated above I have given her vitamin A twice on a worm. I don’t want to over do it tho as that would be equally bad or worse.

Ya I don’t really have a good shower to use so I have been running her mister for longer periods of time. I have been giving her up to half hour misting sessions. Every few hours. Running a dehumidifier to ensure the cage dries out between mistings. I don’t want it completely saturated and cause a respiratory infection.
good, let her thoroughly clean her eye and keep a good eye out for irritations or stuff in her eye that may be bothering her

Back
Top Bottom