New Cham from Paradise Chameleons

Here is a recent (today) picture of Tabasco. He is doing well and has a big appetite. He is still living in the large Dragonstrand enclosure, which he appears to have claimed as his territory. I have bumped him up to large crickets, which he has no problem devouring.

I am up to 7 live plants in his enclosure, which is filling out nicely.

Mark
Very nice! The red around his eyes is awesome. Looks plump!! Yoshi is getting big.

Here is a recent (today) picture of Tabasco. He is doing well and has a big appetite. He is still living in the large Dragonstrand enclosure, which he appears to have claimed as his territory. I have bumped him up to large crickets, which he has no problem devouring.

Mark
Look in good and plump his turrets are getting red!! Yoshi is getting big big.

Tabasco is living in a Dragon Strand 48" (I know, above the recommended size for his age) with Dragon ledges. He has the following plants:

3 Pothos
1 Ficus (seems to like sleeping in)
1 Croton

I am running two double t5 fixtures, one 6% Acadia uvb, a 60w basking bulb. I have a mistking connected to a DIY (sample-like) rain dome. Schedule, 2 minutes per cycle:

7:30 (30 minutes after lights on)
10:30
1:30pm
5:30pm

So far, Tabasco seems content and appear larger and redder over his first week with us. Given the size and jungle-like nature on the enclosure, I add crickets twice a day. He goes after them. It is fun watch him snap the easy ones, and then figure out how to get the rest. He travels the entire top 2/3 of the cage.

Bruce sold me a smaller cage which I am setting up in the same manner. I'll keep it for an outdoor sunning enclosure, and on hand if we need to downsize for any reason. As of now, he is happy in the large Dragon Strand.

Mark

Mark -

With your misting schedule, are you ending up with lots of water in the plant containers? I had to remove one plant because it got water logged with a shorter but more frequent misting schedule.

Mark

Tabasco looks great. What are you feeding him? Still crickets?

I went to feed Iggy and he is shedding again.

I think it's been 3-4 weeks since his last shed. Does this seem about right?

He seems to complete his shed pretty quickly. He's usually done in 1-2 hours.

I went to feed Iggy and he is shedding again.

I think it's been 3-4 weeks since his last shed. Does this seem about right?

He seems to complete his shed pretty quickly. He's usually done in 1-2 hours.
Don't know on how consistent they should be but I'm definitely jealous, I think Yoshima is getting there though. He is a piggy. Does Iggy like silkworms much?

Don't know on how consistent they should be but I'm definitely jealous, I think Yoshima is getting there though. He is a piggy. Does Iggy like silkworms much?

I love Yoshi's name. Yes, Iggy loves the silkworms. I ordered 50 medium silkworms so I could get them to moth stage and save off some eggs. I have been feeding Iggy 10-15 gut loaded crickets a day plus 2 silkworms in the am. Once I have more silks, I plan to up this as he loves them. I wish I had ordered more....

He doesn't like super worms very much and I haven't tried Dubias yet but I will in a week or so.

With this latest shed, he is starting to show some red flecks on his upper body that I haven't seen before.

I love Yoshi's name. Yes, Iggy loves the silkworms. I ordered 50 medium silkworms so I could get them to moth stage and save off some eggs. I have been feeding Iggy 10-15 gut loaded crickets a day plus 2 silkworms in the am. Once I have more silks, I plan to up this as he loves them. I wish I had ordered more....

He doesn't like super worms very much and I haven't tried Dubias yet but I will in a week or so.

With this latest shed, he is starting to show some red flecks on his upper body that I haven't seen before.
When I got home from work tonight I went to mist and feed him and I could definitely see his skin getting ashy. Have you brought him outside yet?

When I got home from work tonight I went to mist and feed him and I could definitely see his skin getting ashy. Have you brought him outside yet?

No I haven't had him outside. It's been too cold and rainy here. It won't be long though until it gets warmer. I can't wait to see his color then...

No I haven't had him outside. It's been too cold and rainy here. It won't be long though until it gets warmer. I can't wait to see his color then...
Excited for the reds!!!! When I took him outside he was more blue and green then I've ever seen. A squirrel jumped on branch by us. he puffed up huge. The squirrel sat and looked at till I tsssd at it to go away he remained pretty calm and close to me. He got up on two legs though in the sun light. He was living it.But definitely watch out for critters!

Mark -

With your misting schedule, are you ending up with lots of water in the plant containers? I had to remove one plant because it got water logged with a shorter but more frequent misting schedule.

Hey Bonginator -

Yes, with my misting schedule some of the plants get more than their share of water. I found that the key is drainage. I have 2 Pothos that are growing like crazy, and one that completely rotted and is pretty much dead. I re-pot everything that goes into the habitat and my assumption is that the Pothos that died wasn't draining. Also, Croton and Hibiscus tolerate water as long as the soil has a chance to drain. I replaced the limp Pothos with a Schefflera that is doing well is the same position.

Tabasco is eating large crickets, but I just ordered a 100 silkworms so everyone will be happy tomorrow when they arrive.

Mark

Hey Bonginator -

Yes, with my misting schedule some of the plants get more than their share of water. I found that the key is drainage. I have 2 Pothos that are growing like crazy, and one that completely rotted and is pretty much dead. I re-pot everything that goes into the habitat and my assumption is that the Pothos that died wasn't draining. Also, Croton and Hibiscus tolerate water as long as the soil has a chance to drain. I replaced the limp Pothos with a Schefflera that is doing well is the same position.

Tabasco is eating large crickets, but I just ordered a 100 silkworms so everyone will be happy tomorrow when they arrive.

Mark

One of my schefflera's started smelling so I removed it, cute it back, put new soil in, and moved it aside from the mister. All good so far. I then had to augment with a fake vine to hold water droplets for my Cham. Good for,you on the silkworms. They seem to love those guys! I am going to order some silkworm eggs shortly and grow them out.

Today was a fun day with Iggy. He started crawling out of his cage and onto my hand. I held hi briefly and put him back as I want him to trust me.

His color after the second she'd has changed. When resting, he is showing more green and red and when agitated, he is showing turquoise, white, and red which is very pretty.

Here is a recent photo of Tabasco eating a silkworm.

He seems to like the worms, but I think he prefers snapping crickets. Perhaps he likes the challenge of hunting jumping bugs.

On the other hand, our dragon devours silkworms.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 138
Here is a recent photo of Tabasco eating a silkworm.

He seems to like the worms, but I think he prefers snapping crickets. Perhaps he likes the challenge of hunting jumping bugs.

On the other hand, our dragon devours silkworms.

Nice shot. Iggy is showing the same colors when he is agitated. Iggy is also showing red around the eye sockets. Are those Tabasco's resting colors? Beautiful.

That is one big silkworm... I still love the name Tabasco. Great pick.

Not resting, but not fully fired up. He is much darker at rest, but colors up when food is added. He isn't hand friendly, and is pretty quick to fire up. So we get a good show of colors through out the day.

Not sure if some of it is dominance. Today he climbed out on a recently added branch that places him smack center in the cage, near the top, which is about 6 and a half feet off the floor. He did a huge yawn and popped out all his colors - looked absolutely amazing - then went into rest mode and fired down. Perhaps he thinks he is a lion.

Not resting, but not fully fired up. He is much darker at rest, but colors up when food is added. He isn't hand friendly, and is pretty quick to fire up. So we get a good show of colors through out the day.

Not sure if some of it is dominance. Today he climbed out on a recently added branch that places him smack center in the cage, near the top, which is about 6 and a half feet off the floor. He did a huge yawn and popped out all his colors - looked absolutely amazing - then went into rest mode and fired down. Perhaps he thinks he is a lion.

Interesting. Iggy also fires up with turquoise, green, white, and red when eating and is darker when at rest. I'll try to post some pics later. They sure are brothers.

Congrats to you, he is gorgeous! His dad and grandpa are absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing the pics. I look forward to seeing how his full coloration develops.

Back
Top Bottom