New Cham and plant question.

lybeck

I haven't been on here in a week or two as Bella my Jackson's Chameleon passed. I have no idea how or why she passed and it was completely unexpected. I know Jackson's are by no means a beginners Cham but I guess I thought I could handle it.Today I get a call from my work saying I need to come in and pick something up I had no idea what but when I got there one of my co-workers explained my parents had special ordered me a baby veiled Chameleon and it had just arrived. I was completely suprised. I needed some new plants for the enclosure so I bought some of the terrarium plants we sell at the store. The only problem is there is no label on them indicating what they are and I don't wan't to take a chance and loose another chameleon I don't think I could bear it.so I thought I would post some pics of the plants just to be on the safe side.

plant # 1
plants001.jpg

Plant # 2
plants003.jpg

Plant # 4
plants005.jpg

And here are some pics of Bentley

Bently007.jpg

Bently023.jpg

Bently025.jpg

Bently027.jpg

any help on the plants would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Jordan

Plant number one is a Heartleaf Philodendron, which are toxic to animals/humans. They do look similar to Pothos plants and can be easily misidentified. But the red sheath on the plant vine is a dead give away that your plant is a Heartleaf Philodendron.
heartleaf_philodendron_philodendron_cordatum_plant.jpg

Plant number two looks like a lucky bamboo plant, which are debatable in terms of toxicity.
LuckyBambooMain2-main_Full.jpg

Plant number four is a syngonium species, and is also highly toxic to animals/humans.
Syngonium%2Bpodophyllum%2BWhite%2BButterfly.jpg

It looks like you managed to pick all toxic plants :rolleyes:. If you found some of these species, you should certainly be able to find a ficus benjimina or pothos. Your new chameleon is very colorful, but her eyes do appear to be sunken, what is the color of her urate?

wow thats just my luck! Thats really weird that PETCO would sell Toxic plants in their reptile section. I will definately tell our customers not to buy them. Guess I'll run to Home Depot later and get a new Umberella tree and maybe a Pothos.Bentley just arrived yesterday and I'm still trying to get him hydrated thats probably why his eyes look sunken in. His eyes look much better today. But I will still moniter him and I will check the color of his urates when he gives me something to work with.

Thanks for all your help!

Jordan

wow thats just my luck! Thats really weird that PETCO would sell Toxic plants in their reptile section. I will definately tell our customers not to buy them. Guess I'll run to Home Depot later and get a new Umberella tree and maybe a Pothos.Bentley just arrived yesterday and I'm still trying to get him hydrated thats probably why his eyes look sunken in. His eyes look much better today. But I will still moniter him and I will check the color of his urates when he gives me something to work with.

Thanks for all your help!

Jordan

first petco charges ridiculous prices on their hoods and bulbs...now they sell the toxic plants for the chams!!

god...i love this forum...such great help :D

Don't be surprised that a big box chain store like Petco knows basically nothing about plant toxicity. They don't specialize in much of anything least of all reptiles. There are other plants better suited for cham cages anyway. None of these will provide much sturdy climbing or perching structures for him as he grows.

LOL!

i was going to resort to stealing...it looks like they dont have cameras...
xD
imagine me walking out with a 18" bulb underneth my shirt

That would be pretty funny! But I made a home depot run today and got a Ficus tree and a Pothos. I also told all of my co-workers the plants are toxic and to let our customers know before they purchase them. I'm glad I decided to check if tehy were ok or not this could have ended very badly!

Thanks for all the help

Jordan

I also told all of my co-workers the plants are toxic and to let our customers know before they purchase them.

You should tell them to just get rid of the plants. For example, the syngonium plant is packed with calcium oxalate crystals which can cause swelling of the lips and tongue. If not treated soon, the symptoms can progressively worsen and lead to a closing of the throat. Theres no reason to be selling potentially lethal plants in a pet store.

Our manager's on Vacation and our team leads won't pull anything off the shelf without his approval. As soon as he gets back I'm going to try and get him to get rid of them.

Aw I bought that first one from Petco thinking it was a pothos! Glad you made this post. Luckily the plant is still sitting on the shelf downstairs. I'm so glad I didn't put it in with my baby veiled.

Aw I bought that first one from Petco thinking it was a pothos! Glad you made this post. Luckily the plant is still sitting on the shelf downstairs. I'm so glad I didn't put it in with my baby veiled.

I thought it was a Pothos also. I stopped a customer from buying one for their box turtle today who would have eaten it for sure.

Back
Top Bottom