New cage, what do you reckon ? with pics !

mightymart

Yodanewcagesetup4web.jpg

He is moving in tomorrow ! So what do you reckon ? good or bad comments.
The extention lead/plugs is only there for testing I am going to move all the electrics underneath so no chance of getting wet.

person my thoughts, more vines or dowels.. he needs access to most of the cage, more room he has the better.. personally thats my thoughts.. the higher the better too.. just enough so he cant rub his head on the mesh.. other than that looks great

The large verticals (bamboo?) with vine wrapped around them seem a bit big? I might remove or reduce those and add some vines/branches, various widths and heights, horizontal, vertical, & diagonal throughout. otherwise looks good to me.

It's looking good! I would put in some vines, etc to give more horizontal walkways at varying heights. Maybe another plant or two to give him plenty of hiding places. Do you have drainage in the bottom? The cage looks great - where did you get it? Not seen any like that over here! I love those chunky bamboo sticks too!

I have got more vines from my old cage, so I will add them too, I was going to also add another vine over the top of the top bamboo to make a better perch but I dont want to go any higher to the top mesh as the temp is staying at 83 & I dont really want him doing the roof walk if I can help it !!! plus the very top bamboo is 8 inches from the top so with him sitting on it make him 5 inchs away from the mesh .
As for the drainage , I have made a platform so the cage is raised with holes drilled in the bottom with a water tray underneath.
Tiff: the cage is a xl zoomed reptibreeze , I must say I was a little disappointed with the quality of it but it would have cost me even more to make one, but it will do the job.
drainage.jpg

I agree with Sandra. It is a good start, but I would add branches/vines that are smaller in diameter so it will be easier for your new cham to grab onto.

yes I will, thanks. Thats why I wrapped the vines around the bamboo to help him get up & down.
The bamboo was more as a stand alone struture to add bits on if nessary & aid a easier to clean cage. The mesh doesnt seem to be the strongest mesh in the world so I was a little worried about adding things suspended from it.

Is the basking light sitting ontop the mesh? looks very close. This might not be so safe despite the distance to the thermometer/bask spot, since your lizard may decide to climb the screen anyway.
Perhaps raise/suspend the basking light and add a dowl or vine a little closer to maintain your temp.
solid climbing structures can be tricky with fine screen, but some folk have come up with very clever ideas for securing them safely, perhaps some will post ideas.

I too began with something like your bamboo with vine twisted around for grip, but found it was still difficult for him to navigate. In the end I went with a tree (literally) as a climbing structure with plants suspended from that, then added 'vine' highways.

Looks good! :)

Back
Top Bottom