NEW C. gracilis x calyptratus hybrid

Now that I see them altogether- that is stress causing the patterns. Don't know why, but look for ways to reduce stress it if you see these patterns a lot. First idea would be to keep them in smaller groups or individually and see if the pattern goes away. It's the same with veileds if you see this pattern, and dilepis and others...

They look like veileds now- will be interesting to see how they grow.

Very cute and healthy looking, but they look just like veileds to me. Do any have spurs on the back of the feet?

The bars like a little "split" at the top like I see on the gracefuls. They also appear kinda thin. I don't raise baby veileds, so I don't know if that is the same with them? I have always seen the baby veileds with thicker bars? Or at least I only remember seeing them with thicker bars.

I don't know how babies are suppose to look this is my first time ever hatching any kind of animal I'm just happy they hatched and they are all still alive and doing great :)

Hello, How are your babies doing? Could you post some new photos when you get a chance. Close ups of heads and feet please. I am very interested in the progression of your little ones. Thanks! Happy Hoildays!

Last edited:
Hi every one sorry I havent posted anything new been super busy. Good news is I had another baby today =) super excited about that. That makes it 8 little ones. They are all alive still growing great. I will post pictures tonight.

I have 10 babies now =) 2 hatched yesterday and one this morning. Here are some pictures

Attachments

• IMG-20111218-00180.jpg
    IMG-20111218-00180.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG-20111218-00193.jpg
    IMG-20111218-00193.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG-20111218-00190.jpg
    IMG-20111218-00190.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG-20111218-00192.jpg
    IMG-20111218-00192.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 331
So do I get to name these species?

These animals are a hybrid between two species, they are not their own species. The only naming system that is regulated is that of scientific names (governed by the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature). Since this is a hybrid produced in captivity between two species that would never encounter each other in the wild, you would not be able to describe these animals as their own species under ICZN rules.

Technically common names are not official in any way. If I wanted to call Chamaeleo calyptratus something like the "Purple-assed Camel Lizard", I'd be no more wrong then anyone calling them Veiled or Yemen Chameleons (I'd just confuse a lot of people). So basically, you can create whatever name you want for these animals but no one is under any obligation to accept it, use it, pay any attention to it, or recognize it, nor are they under any obligation not to come up with their own name for them which may or may not be used instead of your own.

In my opinion, its better to refer to them as exactly what they are: Chamaeleo gracilis x calyptratus hybrids.

Chris

Chris,
If they prove fertile and after a few years(or much more) of workin with them and they breed true.....would they then be considered a new species?
Just thinking on how dog and cat breeds(and others) are created......even though same species....but if this cross eventually breeds true......just wondering...

Chris,
If they prove fertile and after a few years(or much more) of workin with them and they breed true.....would they then be considered a new species?
Just thinking on how dog and cat breeds(and others) are created......even though same species....but if this cross eventually breeds true......just wondering...

All domesticated dog breeds are a single subspecies (Canis lupus familiaris) and all domesticated cat breeds are a single species (Felis catus). You can't just create a new species in captivity by breeding two different species together that would never encounter each other in the wild. If two species naturally hybridized in the wild and those hybrid offspring somehow then became reproductively isolated from either parental species, over evolutionary time, they might evolve into what some might consider their own species, but faking such a scenario in captivity over one or two generations does not qualify in any way.

Chris

These animals are a hybrid between two species, they are not their own species. The only naming system that is regulated is that of scientific names (governed by the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature). Since this is a hybrid produced in captivity between two species that would never encounter each other in the wild, you would not be able to describe these animals as their own species under ICZN rules.

Technically common names are not official in any way. If I wanted to call Chamaeleo calyptratus something like the "Purple-assed Camel Lizard", I'd be no more wrong then anyone calling them Veiled or Yemen Chameleons (I'd just confuse a lot of people). So basically, you can create whatever name you want for these animals but no one is under any obligation to accept it, use it, pay any attention to it, or recognize it, nor are they under any obligation not to come up with their own name for them which may or may not be used instead of your own.

In my opinion, its better to refer to them as exactly what they are: Chamaeleo gracilis x calyptratus hybrids.

Chris

Please let me know when you have a purple assed camel lizard. i'd love to purchase one lol

All domesticated dog breeds are a single subspecies (Canis lupus familiaris) and all domesticated cat breeds are a single species (Felis catus). You can't just create a new species in captivity by breeding two different species together that would never encounter each other in the wild. If two species naturally hybridized in the wild and those hybrid offspring somehow then became reproductively isolated from either parental species, over evolutionary time, they might evolve into what some might consider their own species, but faking such a scenario in captivity over one or two generations does not qualify in any way.

Chris

Duh brye:rolleyes:
i tried telling u the same thing

Back
Top Bottom