New Bioactive Enclosure Project

FrankAbell5281

Hello person reading this, this is my new Blog. For a school project Iv’e decided to document my hardships and care with maintaining a bioactive chameleon enclosure and a veiled chameleon. My chameleons name is Mr. Burns, due to his generally angry behavior and constantly secretly plotting my demise. He is just round a year old and a very handsome veiled chameleon. He enjoys bananas and staring me down while hissing and then immediately after crawling onto my arm to grab a cricket I’m holding. He also enjoys getting right below my mister’s nozzle and then being angry and confused when it goes off. Keep up with these posts if your interested in more.

Sorry about the huge photos.
0E0F45F0-3522-45F7-BEDE-48C40499737D.jpeg
4F99BFE3-69F1-48B3-8267-A3A19D15C5E1.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!

Go easy on the bananas ...they are not a good option to feed a chameleon IMHO. Much better to feed the greens, veggies and a very very small amount of fruit to the insects instead.

I would make sure to have no fake plants in the cage and make sure the real ones are nontoxic and well washed, both sides of the leaves....so he can munch on them.

Beautiful chameleon, BTW!

Welcome to the forum.
Hello person reading this, this is my new Blog.
Just FYI, we DO have blogs here.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/

For a school project Iv’e decided to document my hardships and care with maintaining a bioactive chameleon enclosure and a veiled chameleon. My chameleons name is Mr. Burns, due to his generally angry behavior and constantly secretly plotting my demise.
He must know my panther—Ol' Mr. GrumpyPants.

He is just round a year old and a very handsome veiled chameleon. He enjoys bananas and staring me down while hissing and then immediately after crawling onto my arm to grab a cricket I’m holding. He also enjoys getting right below my mister’s nozzle and then being angry and confused when it goes off. Keep up with these posts if your interested in more.

Sorry about the huge photos.
Sounds familiar.

You shouldn't really feed him bananas. Veiled/Yemen chameleons are technically insectivores; they may sample plants in their enclosures, but that's not the same thing. My dog likes chocolate, but it's poisonous to dogs.
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
Plants. Veiled Chameleons are one of the few chameleon species that are known to graze on their cage plants. In the wild, their food, as babies, is reported to consist of caterpillars and soft food items. The plant matter is used as roughage to help the mass move through the digestive system. One common hypothesis is that Veiled Chameleons get moisture from the leaves. This does not make logical sense as Veiled Chameleons are alive only during the wet season. There is no reason to need to eat plants for moisture. As far as getting nutrients from the plant matter, insects are plentiful so there is no nutrition that we know of that they need from these plants. So the roughage explanation is the most likely of our proposed reasons for Veiled Chameleons to eat plant matter. In your cage you may find your pothos or umbrella plant having a triangle bite taken out of it. This is normal and not dangerous. Though do not offer fruits. Even though Veiled Chameleons will eat greens and fruits they are not necessary to feed. Especially avoid feeding fruit which is filled with sugars.

Do not take the measure of what a Veiled Chameleon will eat to equal what is good for them. They will eat just about anything – even things that are not food. They are an eat first, ask questions later type animal.

ICBW, but this should be a good project, because you'll learn how much bad information is floating around out there.

Please read the Veiled Chameleon Care Sheet I linked above, and go through/peruse the Chameleon Husbandry Program on Chameleon Academy.

You can adjust photo size. After copy/pasting a pic, click on it. Some picture editing tools will appear, including one to change size.

Hmmm. I know a lot of you say that fruits are bad for chameleons. Which I agree with that on a lot of cases. But what I'm getting to is my veiled who past a few months ago was 8 yes old and he ate bananas about once so I'm a little skeptical on feeding bananas. But a lot of fruit is bad. Some fruit is even toxic. But I'm not so sure about bananas. It didn't hurt my veiled. I believe it prolonged his life. 8 is a pretty good number for a veiled. But he also ate lots of bees.

Back
Top Bottom