My Adult Chameleon all of the sudden hides/hates me

Leothecham0926

Thursday at 2:51 PM
I got my Cham Leo about 6 months ago. He was already practically adult, only slightly smaller than he is currently. He was very sweet when I got him and caused me no issues (besides the fact he wanted to be on my head 24/7 lol). When I brought him home I had him placed in a screen enclosure in front of my window, that I would open for him every day. He seemed completely fine and normal, besides the occasional veild “leave me the F alone” attitude. Normally, anytime I went to the enclosure and opened it, he happily climbed out onto my arm. I got him a new 24x24x48 mesh enclosure with dragon strand ledges so I could add more plants. He also has a backdrop on 3 sides of enclosure so he can only see out the door. I had placed him NEXT to my window, so he couldn’t see out the window due to the backdrops, for a week or so and he seemed to be liking his new home. Eventually, I realized I should turn his enclosure so the sunlight from the window can be let into his enclosure for him and his plants. He enjoyed looking out the window. Ever since I turned his enclosure which was about 12 days ago, anytime I open then enclosure he runs to hide. He never did that before? He doesn’t normally hiss or get black spots, just hides. Today is the first he hissed when I was misting, and placed my hand inside the enclosure to try and let him know it’s okay.. he did not like it. I tried to leave him be and let him get use to the new surroundings, but he’s been like this for 12 days now? I tried to think maybe something in my room is frightening him, but he just stares at me and hides. He use to LOVE being misted and loved when I came to say hi. Should I give him more time? Maybe turn his enclosure back the other way? I haven’t done that because it takes a little time I have to lift the enclosure off of the shelf. Is this just normal behavior? Help please!?

May I also add, when his enclosure is closed he happily walks around, drinks his water, and still comes to the door like he wants to be let out. Even when I stand right in front of the enclosure he doesn’t seem scared and even walks towards me sometimes, but as soon as I open it he starts backing up and goes to hide.

Hi and welcome. :) You posted this in an area not likely to be seen easily by many.
You are experiencing the behavior that our beloved veileds are notorious for. Usually it’s when they are friendly and coming out to be held that they are unhappy with their enclosure or something in it. When they are hissy and defensive, they are happy in their home. While there are always exceptions to the rule and some do have sweet natured veileds, those are few and far between and usually there are certain factors playing into that. You will want to work on building trust with your guy and here’s a great blog on doing that. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/
One thing I do need to clarify - sunlight coming thru a window will provide light and heat, but uvb does not pass thru glass or most solid objects. So, you still need a linear T5HO fixture (with either 6% or 5.0 bulb) for uvb. Also, do be careful that the sun doesn’t overheat your guy. If you post pics of your chameleon and enclosure, including lights, that may be of benefit for you both. :)

Hi and welcome. :) You posted this in an area not likely to be seen easily by many.
You are experiencing the behavior that our beloved veileds are notorious for. Usually it’s when they are friendly and coming out to be held that they are unhappy with their enclosure or something in it. When they are hissy and defensive, they are happy in their home. While there are always exceptions to the rule and some do have sweet natured veileds, those are few and far between and usually there are certain factors playing into that. You will want to work on building trust with your guy and here’s a great blog on doing that. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/
One thing I do need to clarify - sunlight coming thru a window will provide light and heat, but uvb does not pass thru glass or most solid objects. So, you still need a linear T5HO fixture (with either 6% or 5.0 bulb) for uvb. Also, do be careful that the sun doesn’t overheat your guy. If you post pics of your chameleon and enclosure, including lights, that may be of benefit for you both. :)
Thank you so much for your response. I do have a T5HO fixture with the correct uvb. It’s not very hot where I am so not much heat comes through the window. Also he is about 3-5 feet from the window so not too close. I will post some pics. Thank you!

The pics of him are from about a month ago when he wouldn’t go run and hide lol. The pics of the enclosure are currently where he is placed now, and as you can see he’s hiding lol

Attachments

• FD829DB6-A026-4538-8044-57F46F277308.jpeg
    FD829DB6-A026-4538-8044-57F46F277308.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 85
  • C300084C-5720-44EF-AD5D-1C18C7CAB32D.jpeg
    C300084C-5720-44EF-AD5D-1C18C7CAB32D.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 15D91492-8E34-484C-94D1-15E52F2624EF.jpeg
    15D91492-8E34-484C-94D1-15E52F2624EF.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 475B7BC7-C702-43BD-B519-C0EC5480F98F.jpeg
    475B7BC7-C702-43BD-B519-C0EC5480F98F.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 6A474A11-128C-42F0-8618-76C14927E0CA.jpeg
    6A474A11-128C-42F0-8618-76C14927E0CA.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 82B15B4D-0898-4E5F-97D5-C8B122B66D02.jpeg
    82B15B4D-0898-4E5F-97D5-C8B122B66D02.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 15CDB717-AD55-4A78-A215-082D01C2CCE6.jpeg
    15CDB717-AD55-4A78-A215-082D01C2CCE6.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 82
A chameleon who wants to stay in their enclosure is a happy chameleon. I couldn't agree with this more. :)

Thursday at 2:51 PM
I got my Cham Leo about 6 months ago. He was already practically adult, only slightly smaller than he is currently. He was very sweet when I got him and caused me no issues (besides the fact he wanted to be on my head 24/7 lol). When I brought him home I had him placed in a screen enclosure in front of my window, that I would open for him every day. He seemed completely fine and normal, besides the occasional veild “leave me the F alone” attitude. Normally, anytime I went to the enclosure and opened it, he happily climbed out onto my arm. I got him a new 24x24x48 mesh enclosure with dragon strand ledges so I could add more plants. He also has a backdrop on 3 sides of enclosure so he can only see out the door. I had placed him NEXT to my window, so he couldn’t see out the window due to the backdrops, for a week or so and he seemed to be liking his new home. Eventually, I realized I should turn his enclosure so the sunlight from the window can be let into his enclosure for him and his plants. He enjoyed looking out the window. Ever since I turned his enclosure which was about 12 days ago, anytime I open then enclosure he runs to hide. He never did that before? He doesn’t normally hiss or get black spots, just hides. Today is the first he hissed when I was misting, and placed my hand inside the enclosure to try and let him know it’s okay.. he did not like it. I tried to leave him be and let him get use to the new surroundings, but he’s been like this for 12 days now? I tried to think maybe something in my room is frightening him, but he just stares at me and hides. He use to LOVE being misted and loved when I came to say hi. Should I give him more time? Maybe turn his enclosure back the other way? I haven’t done that because it takes a little time I have to lift the enclosure off of the shelf. Is this just normal behavior? Help please!?
Very pretty Veiled and enclosure! What kinds of bugs do you feed him? One time I was feeding one of my past Veilds superworms, and one bit him. Then, he got all mad at me and wouldn't let me hold him for about a week lol. MissSkittles has given the best advice, as far as what you should do next and the husbandry. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom