New Baby Veiled

luisramon

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Baby veiled chameleon, about 5 months old been caring for him for 4 days.
Handling - Just once.
Feeding - Every morning i put 8-10 crickets in his feeding bowl, first days, he ate great and drink water, but this 2 days he has not been eating.
Watering - I have seen him drinking from the leafs and from the dripper, i have a little dripper going about 5 hours a day and a repti rain automatic misting system for 15 seconds every 3 hours.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen cage 1.40 mts tall 80cms wide and 60 cmd deep.
Lighting - From 830 amp to 830 pm, during the day i use a reptile 5.0 and a eco-terra daytime heat lamp 100w and during the night an exo terra infrared 75 w bulb. The basking spot is about 29 to 31 degrees celsius.
Humidity -Repti rain and the dripper i occasionally mist him to from 70 top 85%.

Location -Mexico City.

The issue is that i have not seen him eat during this 2 days, yesterday i saw him poop. Also tho morning i saw him shoot his tongue at a plant.

I also see him when he basks with his mouth open.

Please help, is this normal? should i be worried, I'm not a first time chameleon owner, but the other ones I've had were panthers.

HELP!

Welcome to the forums!

At his age, I would lower the basking temp so that it never goes over 29C. Also, there should be no light at night, it should be completely dark. No heating is needed at night unless the temperature goes below 10C. If it does get below that, you should either heat the room or use a ceramic heat emitter since it does not emit light.

Shooting leaves with his tongue is normal if they have water on them, since it is one way they drink. They will open their mouths (gape) when it is too hot, so this should improve with a lower basking temp. It can take them a week or two after being introduced to a new environment before they eat normally. Is his food in a place where he can easily see it?

Also, what are you using for supplements and to feed the feeder insects?

Yes the feeding area is visible to him he has ate from my tongues and from the feeding container, ill lower the basking temperature, thank you
At the moment i am not using supplement but tomorrow i will go and buy some

Not having light at night is probably the most important correction of the things you mentioned. Chameleons can see all light that humans can (including red light), so this can keep them awake and make them tired the next day.

You want to use plain calcium (NO D3) every feeding, calcium with D3 twice a month, and multivitamin twice a month. Below are the ones I personally use:

Rep-Cal plain calcium:
http://www.amazon.com/Rep-Cal-SRP00...id=1412562406&sr=8-2&keywords=rep-cal+calcium

Repashy Calcium Plus (Calcium+D3)
http://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Calci...12562544&sr=8-2&keywords=repashy+calcium+plus

Rep-Cal Herptivite (multivitamin)
http://www.amazon.com/Rep-Cal-Resea...1412562613&sr=8-2&keywords=rep-cal+herptivite

You can usually find these at pet stores as well. There are other options as well, as long as you use the schedule I specified above. You may also find the following care sheet useful if you have not seen it already:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

i can't find the now with out d3, this is the ones y could find can u help choose one without d3 please i was thinking i zoo meds one

thank you so much

Most stores don't sell the calcium without d3, so you have two options.

1- order it online, amazon has it.

2- ive seen petco carry repashy all in one calcium plus, which you can use in place of all three reguired supplements. In the store its a black bottle with a red cap and a picture of a crested gecko on the front.

Of the ones on that list I would get the Exo-Terra plain calcium, Rep-Cal Herptivite, and Repashy Calcium Plus. I don't have experience with the Exo-Terra products though.

Hey, i already got some new supplements i got zoomed calcium with d3 and without d3 and repeal herptivite.

I was having the issue of him not eating, he seems to only like to eat from the crickets in his cage, not from the feeding cup, do any of u have any idea of how to create a cool looking and useful feeding cup?

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom