New any suggestions?????

:) Hi everyone my name is jeff, I have resently baught a male jackson chameleon.All of my setup is in my signature and I would be very greatfull of anyone who can provide any helpful info.I have recently lost my last lizard,(bearded dragon) and i am really determined to have this one live a long happy life and I hope i can contribute to help the forum.

see if u can get a full screen cage . he needs the fresh air and it also keeps bacteria down

actualy the cage isnt all glass,they just came out with this new top...it ads like a ft and a half in hight and it is all screen..i will try to get pics when i can, i guess you could say its half glass and half screenpet store

the lettuce was recomended by the pet store owner , she said some eat it some will not...the pet store is also only aquatics and reptiles

Last edited:
yeh 100 watt may be high but my room is in the basement, so i thought the 100wat would be good, i will check tommorow to be sure basking area should be 85-90?

just check the temp where he would bask...sometimes you can just clamp the fixture a little higher off the cage to fix it...but you need to get a gauge to check humidity...it's usually low in basements. Should be around 60-65%

100W is way too strong for a jacksonii - 60-75 Watts is what I'd use for an adult - maybe even a 40W. Jacksonii like it cool, mid 70's to low 80's. The basking spot should be around 85, but the rest should be cool.

do not use a night light. The cooler it gets at night, the better. Down to the 50's is best - seriously. They are mountain chameleons, and will live much longer if given cold night temps.

Jacksonii will not eat lettuce - and iceberg lettuce is not good for any reptile, if they eat it or not!

Tanks themselves are not good, and have many problems. This setup, with the top foot or so being screen, should be fine. Just make sure you don't let moisture buld up on the bottom.

Return the waterfall - it's not good for chameleons. They look nice, and the chameleons willd rink from them, but they get dirty so fast, and are hard to clean. Besides, they need to be sprayed heavily daily - several times a day is preferable. This cleans out their eyes - a waterfall would not be enough by itself, and it wil become a problem in no time - I've been there, doen that - I've used waterfalles before you could buy them. I've taken a lot of time and money to make them, only to find out they were less than useless.

Pick up some minerall wiht D3 or Rep-cal with D3. NOT a similar sounding brand - either minerall or Rep-cal. Others are named similarly, but do not work.

Eric Adrignola said:
100W is way too strong for a jacksonii - 60-75 Watts is what I'd use for an adult - maybe even a 40W. Jacksonii like it cool, mid 70's to low 80's. The basking spot should be around 85, but the rest should be cool.

do not use a night light. The cooler it gets at night, the better. Down to the 50's is best - seriously. They are mountain chameleons, and will live much longer if given cold night temps.

Jacksonii will not eat lettuce - and iceberg lettuce is not good for any reptile, if they eat it or not!

Tanks themselves are not good, and have many problems. This setup, with the top foot or so being screen, should be fine. Just make sure you don't let moisture buld up on the bottom.

Return the waterfall - it's not good for chameleons. They look nice, and the chameleons willd rink from them, but they get dirty so fast, and are hard to clean. Besides, they need to be sprayed heavily daily - several times a day is preferable. This cleans out their eyes - a waterfall would not be enough by itself, and it wil become a problem in no time - I've been there, doen that - I've used waterfalles before you could buy them. I've taken a lot of time and money to make them, only to find out they were less than useless.

Pick up some minerall wiht D3 or Rep-cal with D3. NOT a similar sounding brand - either minerall or Rep-cal. Others are named similarly, but do not work.

wow no light at night realy?.....i have a sixty watt basking light so i can chg it out no prob.....lettuce well i went on what i was told...and the waterfall well ill get rid of that when i get a drip system next weekend i think itl stay clean until then...right?

OH AND I MEANT ROMAINE...oops

Last edited:
you can nuse a large deli cup...but i have a 1/4 inch tubing set up to a hose. Fiskars sells the hose a drippers like this...so search for fiskars hose system online

ok now im learning....... so if i poke a little whole in a tubaware container and place another container on the bottom were the water falls to catch it..will that be sufficiant?

Realize that you've purchased a montane chameleon. They require low temperatures and high humidity. Remember that as it's the most important aspect of keeping montane species. You basking spot should never reach higher than 85 and your ambient should never be higher than 75. Jacksons prefer a considerable temperature drop at night, 60 degrees or lower would ideal... but a 10 degree difference would be the bare minimum. An ultrasonic humidifier would help keep the humidity up. These guys also have very high water requirements. 30 to 45 minutes of misting a day. Not dripping, but actual misting. That gets old real quick if your using a hand mister, so you may want to start looking at automated systems.

Like the other's said, ditch the waterfall and nightbulb. Get yourself some good supplements and get an all screen enclosure. The screen attachment will not work. Glass presents serious heat problems and chameleons stress easily if they can see their own reflection. It will also present drainage problems from all the misting.

Back
Top Bottom