New and Introduction

clarkrw3

Hello
First I want to thank you all for such a great Forum and excellent resource!! I have been reading a ton and soaking up everything I can about keeping a healthy and happy chameleon.

A little about me. I live in Tempe, AZ and am married with two kids and two great Labradors. Growing up I always had reptiles which was what started my love of animals in general and progressed in getting a degree from University of Colorado in Biology focusing on animal behavior. Then spent a number of years doing medical research at the med school. Now I am a Dentist and enjoy practicing and family life.
You can blame my new found obsession on CNorton and I am sure my wife will :D We were in a wedding together recently and the topic of chameleons came up. I have ALWAYS loved chameleons and wanted one but have always been afraid of the difficulties of caring for one. Well after talking with CNorton and reading up on what was needed and what was involved I decided a chameleon would be a great hobby for my kids and I to get into. Now that I have a Hobby room it will make the perfect place for our new family member. The Hobby room is where all the things my wife doesn't want to see end up:D Namely RC cars, model trains, and mountain bikes as well as all the camping/backpacking/climbing gear. Luckily it is a pretty big room.
First up was deciding on which type of chameleon to start with or to get first ;) After talking with CNorton and looking around a Panther was decided on. I decided early on with my schedule and living in AZ with no humidity to have a health happy chameleon I was going to NEED a mister system so first order of business would be to order a mist king (should be here next week) Then I am going to get a smaller cage to start with to get the little one to hunt and after much searching decided to go with a LLLreptile cage 16x15x20 and will get a adult cage later. Then to plants. Armed with the "safe plant list" I went to Lowe's and picked a a few plants which I will wash and replant before my newborn arrives. I went with chameleonsonly.com for my baby cham which should be ready to come home in a month or so, this will give me the time to get a colony of feeders going get the cage set up and going so I am all ready for his arrival.

So once again thanks for all you knowledge and I am sure I am going to have a bunch of questions in the near future:cool:

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Just curious...how did you move from biology and animal behavior to dentistry??

Thanks guys!! Well I was always pre-med and after working in med research and clinical studies I decided that the three things that interested me most were relationships with people, working with my hands and science/problem solving...and dentistry fit! Doesn't hurt that my father and wife are also dentists :D

Hello new chameleon nut. Glad you could join us. I know Chad told you that you will never want over 1 cham correct??? (no chad would never lie)
Well it will be fun and a excellent experience to share with your kids. I will chose to like you in spite of you being a dentist, so when you have any questions we are all here for you.

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Just curious...how did you move from biology and animal behavior to dentistry??

I love it, Lynda you read my mind.

Hello new chameleon nut. Glad you could join us. I know Chad told you that you will never want over 1 cham correct??? (no chad would never lie)

Yes I know...I don't even have my first and am resisting the temptation to order one of the beautiful veileds over at flchams :eek:MUUUSSSTTT RESIST

Yes I know...I don't even have my first and am resisting the temptation to order one of the beautiful veileds over at flchams :eek:MUUUSSSTTT RESIST

You won't be able to resist! And FLChams does have beautiful Veileds-that is exactly what got me hooked! Welcome to the forums!

Back
Top Bottom