New Ambilobe purchase

javsto

I just bought a new Panther Ambilobe this past weekend. He is about 6 weeks old and about 3-4 inches in length (nose to tip). At around what age should he or will he start to show his true coloration??? Right now he is a dark brown with white piping along his body to all dark when awake and a very light brown when sleeping. I found him on Craigslist and got him in trade for $50 and a couple of PS3 games (Killzone and Resistance multipacks). I currently have him in an 18x18x36 cage until I buy a smaller cage on Tuesday. Its cool that he tends to sleep in the same position everynight so far, hanging off a leaf on the lower portion of the umbrella plant with his tail tightly caught on the branch. Im trying to upload a pic with my ipod touch via wifi but am having some trouble atm.

Congrats on your new baby. Each Cham grows and colors up at his/her own pace. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

I currently have him in an 18x18x36 cage until I buy a smaller cage on Tuesday. .

Did you mean to say larger cage on Tuesday? 18x18x36 should be fine for the time being. Eventually you would want to go bigger to at least a 24x24x48. Some folks like to raise the bottom up w/ a custom divider while they're that young. I'd say if you want to go smaller, stay with what you have, and figure out a way to raise the bottom. Save you money for now.

Wow! you have a little baby one then :)

Be extra careful with the basking temp.
Little ones can burn easy.
Something like 80F would be fine for now.
And he will do best if you have lots of vines, branches and leaves in his
cage to move around and feel secure.

Babies get stressed real easy!!
I had one who was scared to death of the dripper, which was a plastic
pipett tip sticking through the top of the screen.
I had to take it out before he would calm down.

Babies are also notorius for doing the "suicide drop" when they feel a threat.
They will just fall from where ever they are!! :eek:
They can also jump out of your hand!!

They get over this after a few months.

Back
Top Bottom