Never really thought about the ventral spine ridge before...

Redman

Avid Member
So, I was watching some of my 2 month old clutch hang upside down from the screen lid, as they like to do and which drives me crazy of course. While doing so, I noticed that the ventral ridge was a lot more pronounced than I usually see it. In fact I almost never take any notice of it at all on my panthers, to be honest with all the other great features to be observing like color, pattern, behavior displays, etc.

And seeing this ridge thrust out while upside down made me wonder: Is the function of this ventral ridge to increase grip while climbing? Or is it in case they fall, is it something to catch on a branch and keep them from tumbling all the way down?

I am sure someone has read an article or some research on the matter, but just thought I would see if anyone has any thoughts on the subject...

I'm not sure what a "ventral ridge" is (and google isn't being helpful ATM); is it the breast bone? If so, I'm not sure it's being thrust out; is it perhaps just more pronounced with gravity pulling everything else down?

A pic might help (I think it'd help me) understanding.

I don't have current pics of these babies, but I will get some later. For now, here are pics of what I mean: The ridge of spines on the ventral surface.

two.jpg

one.jpg

Thanks—that does help. Offhand I'd say it serves the same purpose as the dorsal ridge—primarily protection.

Funny... chams have them along their tops & bottoms, while beardies & others have them along their sides. Nature. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom