never had a reptile.. chameleon???

HenryChameleon

Hi! Total newbie and thinking of getting a pet for my son (well, really for me but dont tell the wife!) I keep fish and have a spare tank that I thougt of turning into a Viv (Please read on...) This is how all ideas start in my house resulting in major building work and £££'s being spent :)

Anyway - I think chameleon's are Uber cool, want something fairly easy and have never kept a reptile before.

I do keep a full living coral reef system which takes time, money and some degree of expertise, I have a full computerised setup with a total of 22 plugs connected to all types of implements to keep the whole thing ticking over - So I am not a complete bafoon with pets only having a gerbil when I was 7.

For the chameleon, I am thinking Yemen Chameleon, viv to be 48" long, 20" deep and 36" High. Custom Bulit for the job, Advice posts to follow!

Here are the basics that I am thinking, crickets every other day, some other mix of food and vits, steady temp, good ventilation, UV light and some humidity - Could I have a waterfall feature with maybe a fogger on a timer for a short time 4 times a day?

Keep the hand out of the Viv and watch these fascinating animals

Firstly - Should I stop being so silly, delete my account on here and stick to fish?

Secondly, Are these with a little reading actually quite easy to care for

And Finally - Am I somewhere near on the above? Any gotchas, things I really need to think about?

Well, they require attention daily, and with some reading you can do it. I wouldn't call them easy though... I would suggest making the viv higher, something like 48 inches would do for a male, ifyou want a female, 36 is fine. No waterfall, fogger is fine.

Babies have to eat every day, adults only every other. They need three types of supplements, Calcium with d3, calcium without d3, and a multivitamin with no vit A. Babies and females need a basking temp of 80(26.7 C), adult males need a basking temp of about 90(32.2 C) and the ambient room temp should eb about 70 (21.1 C)

They need to be misted at least 2-5 times a day, with 3 being more average. Yemen chameleons need live non toxic plants as they tend to eat the leaves off plants.

This is just a very, very basic summary. here is a link to a better thing to read: http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

Chameleons are nothing like taking care of a fish they are nothing close to easy lots of care needed has to be a screen cage not a fish tank

Housing:
Chameleons should never be kept in a glass terrarium - they need the ventilation provided by a mesh enclosure (fine metal or fiberglass mesh is not recommended; PVC coated hardware cloth is good). Vertical space is essential and a cage size of 36 inches by 24 inches by 36-48 inches tall is recommended (the bigger and taller the better - chameleons like to climb high up off the ground). An outdoor cage can be used when the weather is warm enough, as long as over heating is prevented.

Substrate :
Cleanliness in the cage is vital, to prevent bacterial or mold grouth. Using paper towels or newspaper to line the cage makes cleaning easiest. Potted plants can be placed on a plain paper substrate for easier cleaning while still allowing live planting in the cage. Do not use wood chips or any other substrate that could be accidentally ingested and cause blockages.

Cage Furnishings:
Provide lots of sturdy non-toxic plants and branches. Ficus trees have often been used in chameleon housing, but require some caution as the sap can be irritating. Other plants you could try include pothos, hibiscus, and dracaena. Artificial plants may also be added, and artificial vines are a great addition. A good selection of branches (of different diameters) should be provided, making sure there are secure perches at different levels and temperatures within the cage.

Temperature:
For veiled chameleons a daytime temperature gradient of about 80-90 F (26-32 C) should be provided, with a basking spot at 95 F (35 C). At night, they should have a temperature drop of about 10-15 F (5-10 C). If your home doesn't drop below 65-70 F (18-21 C) at night, heating at night isn't necessary. Heating is best accomplished by a basking or incandescent light in a reflector or a ceramic heat element, any of which should be placed outside of the cage to prevent burns.

Lighting:
Chameleons need an ultraviolet (UVA/UVB) light source, so invest in a good bulb such as the Zoomed's Reptisun 5.0. Keep the UV light on for 10-12 hours per day. Remember these bulbs need to be replaced every 6 months. Chameleons also benefit from spending time outdoors in natural sunlight when the temperatures are warm enough (but beware of over heating -- make sure shade is always available).

Humidity and Hydration:
Veiled chameleons need a moderate humidity level (around 50 percent). Misting the plants twice daily will help with humidity levels, and a drip or misting system is also recommended. Chameleons rarely drink from a water bowl, but they will lap up droplets of water off plants, so the misting/drip system also serves as a water source. Position a drip system so the water droplets cascade over the plants in the enclosure. Invest in a hygrometer to measure humidity.

Feeding
Veiled chameleons are mostly insectivores so should be fed a variety of insects, but will often consume vegetation as well. Crickets are usually the mainstay of the diet, but locusts, roaches, butterworms (good for calcium), silkworms, flies, and grasshoppers can be fed, as well as mealworms, superworms and waxworms (in limited quantities as high in fat). Be wary of wild-caught insects due to possible exposure to pesticides, and avoid fireflies. All insects should be gut loaded (fed fresh veggies and vitamin/minerals) before feeding. In addition, many veiled chameleons will also eat a bit of plant matter (including live plants in the cage, so it is vital that only non toxic plants are used). You can offer small amounts of vegetables and fruits such as dandelion leaves, collard greens, kale, diced zucchini, butternut squash, red pepper, blueberries, thin slices of apple or pear, etc. Monitor your chameleon and adjust feeding amounts as needed (if many insects are left uneaten or your chameleon is too full-bodied, back off the amount fed). Never leave live prey in the cage for extended periods as insects may attack the chameleon.
Vitamin supplementation is a a controversial area. Make sure you gut load your insects well, and it prudent to dust insects with a calcium/vitamin D3 supplement (e.g. Rep-Cal) two to three times a week, and use a broad vitamin mineral supplement once a week. Some experts recommend choosing a supplement that does not contain vitamin A (use beta carotene instead).

Well, they require attention daily, and with some reading you can do it. I wouldn't call them easy though... I would suggest making the viv higher, something like 48 inches would do for a male, ifyou want a female, 36 is fine. No waterfall, fogger is fine.

Babies have to eat every day, adults only every other. They need three types of supplements, Calcium with d3, calcium without d3, and a multivitamin with no vit A. Babies and females need a basking temp of 80(26.7 C), adult males need a basking temp of about 90(32.2 C) and the ambient room temp should eb about 70 (21.1 C)

They need to be misted at least 2-5 times a day, with 3 being more average. Yemen chameleons need live non toxic plants as they tend to eat the leaves off plants.

This is just a very, very basic summary. here is a link to a better thing to read: http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

howed I do pssh I tried to beat u to it but lost uggg lol:rolleyes:

In the UK, so long as there is enough air flow, they have great success using glass/wood cages because of their weather differences. Same with Canada.

Night time temps can go even lower, into the 50's (10 C.)

The supplementation could go more into detail, but I can see why you wouldn't want to! :)

Babies eat about 8-12 appropirately size crickets (or equivalent of 8-10 crickets) every day, while adults eat about 6-8 crickets (or equivalent of 6-8 crickets) 3 times a week. Everything else looks good to me.

Thanks both, the info provided is much the same as I have been reading.

The automaing of the misting is something I can not find too much on with specifics to Chameleons.

Tank will not be an old fish tank, it will be a custom build, I can go higher than 36" possibly, Will have a measure up and see what it will look like in the room.

Keeping fish easy - well, I do kind of agree. But as I said this is a full living coral reef, most reefkeepers will spend an hour a day on running their tank, it is a carfully maintained eco system. Just tropicals or fish only marine is vary easy, fish are quite tollerent. My prize corals are not so - too much Calcium or too little magnesium and they all die!!! not enough light, too much light etc etc.

I am very happy to use the experince of others here, easier learning from others mistakes than making my own!

Thanks again.

Hi and welcome! I live in the UK. I got a female chameleon as my first reptile. It all seemed a bit daunting whilst I was researching! I even began to have doubts about my skills as a keeper, so much so that I nearly didn't get her. I did heaps of research and asked shed loads of questions beforehand. I have never regretted my decision of going ahead and getting Lily - chameleons are the most amazing pets. Sadly Lily died last May, but I now have a 10 months old female called Amy and an adult male called Tommy. They are both veiled chameleons and are very much loved and part of the family! :D Amy lives in an Exo Terra terarrium and Tommy lives in a wooden viv with a screen part in the roof for his lights to sit on.

One would be fine for a baby, but they dont make them big enough for adults. Unless they sell bigger ones in the UK of course...

Yep, fine for a male baby until he's about 6-8 months old. A female may be able to stay in it a little longer.

Chameleons are not exactly a beginners pet. As stated above, they require a lot of care, and can not be handled, so if you want a handleable reptile that is easy to care for, a chameleon may not be the right pet. However, if you feel you can handle having one they are amazing pets.

Welcome to the land of chameleons. A veiled is an excellent first chameleon. It seems you are intelligent and are will to take care of the cham so I think you will do great.
Don't get too bothered by some who want to say no to everything before it happens. We were all new to chameleons at one time to.:)

Pssh you are doing a lovely job with advice for this new person.:)

It seems you are intelligent

:eek:

Appearances can be deceptive ;)

Pssh you are doing a lovely job with advice for this new person.:)

Agreed! I am a very active member of a few forums and have to say I have got a very warm welcome! Pssh - Thanks :)

Big thankyou to all who have given great advice and links. Will do my best to digest them all

I am now going to bed! 02.41am in the UK, Enough reading for today I think, been looking into it for a little while but finally got SWMBO to agree :D

Back
Top Bottom