Need urgent advice. Veiled doing worse

I'm going to give it a week before I jump to any conclusions. If he still has zero movement in his legs by then, then there may be some kind of paralysis (fingers crossed he will pull through tho).

Here's a picture of him in his bin. This is what he does all day.. with a fresh poop He can't move.. just lays taking in UV from the reptisun 5.0. Since he cant move if any of you have suggestions how long I should bask him and have the uv directly on him. (since he can't monitor the intake himself).

I may add, this all started when I found him on the bottom of his cage 2 nights ago after returning home from work. Not sure if he fell/had some kind of stroke. Took him to vet immediately in the morning. Been keeping him in this (hospitalized bin enclosure) with lights above him. Basking him at 90-95 degrees during a lot of the day.

What meds did the dr give you ?
Some antibiotics can be very harsh on anybody

Here is some great info that you should read throughoutly

For example, several of my chameleons are on antibiotics, which can be rough on their tiny kidneys. As Hornworms are 85% moisture, they help protect renal functioning by diluting bodily toxins naturally. So when the antibiotics are out, hornworms are in the feeder bowl.

I have learned that Silkworms contain serrapeptase, an enzyme in their stomachs that act as a natural anti-inflammatory and pain-reliever. It even cleans teeth, too, when eaten. This insect not only is a good source of nutrition, it could even be good alternative supplement for tougher cases.

Recipe #1: Anti-Inflammatory gutload
a. Papaya
b. Endive, aka escarole
c. Butternut squash
d. Non-salted sunflower seeds

-Papaya Ca>P 4.8:1
Lowers inflammation, improves healing from burns

-Endive/ escarole Ca>P 1.86:1
Antioxidant properties reduce inflammation, stimulates the liver & digestion, supports immune functioning, regulates and maintains energy levels.

-Butternut squash Ca<P 0.6:1
Contains high levels of antioxidants which reduce levels of inflammation.

-Sunflower seeds Ca<P 1:1.67
Neutralizes free radicals, acts as an anti-inflammatory, reduces the risk of colon cancer and cardiovascular disease, contains a good balance of magnesium and phosphorus, helping calcium absorption. Crush to sprinkle on the mix.

Kauffman, A. (2012). The Healing Diet. Chameleons! Online E-Zine, November 2012. (http://www.chameleonnews.com/12NovKauffman.html)

Sorry for making two posts.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blood-feces-any-ideas-116190/

Unfortunately Sherman passed away a few hours ago.

We tried and tried and did everything we could for the poor guy and learned a lot along the way. I feel we fought the good fight and it was the right thing to do.

P.S. Carol: I did point that swollen joint out to the vet but he said to keep doing what were doing for now it could be some other underlying problem considering Sherman could not move or eat and he was especially skinny.

All in all, I still want to be a Chameleon owner, I got Sherman in bad shape and knew it could turn out this way. Along the way I got a serious attachment to these creatures.

I feel if I raise a chameleon the right way from the beginning and get them from the right place I could definitely be a successful Chameleon Keeper. I will keep posted on the forums and continue using it as a resource and tool to stay in touch with the Chameleon world.

-Good luck to anyone out there trying to rehabilitate a chameleon in bad shape and never give up the battle, they deserve it.

Thanks for all the advice and support guys
R.I.P Sherman

Back
Top Bottom