Need help!

Hello! I am a 13 year old from europe called Mila or emilia who loves reptiles, i have owned leopard geckos, russian turtles and pacman frogs but never a chameleon i go to a local reptile store almost every week for crickets and there has been an adorable (yemen) chameleon there for ever since i started going only until i started learning and researching chameleons did i realise how horribleof an enclosure, diet he had and im pretty sure his insects were gutloaded with dog food as that is what they recommended for me. I believe he has possible mbd and burns. his back and casque is completely crooked so i have been convincing my parents for months to allow me to get him and finally they agreed but of course by now he is terrified of me and in so bad condition compared to when i first saw him im suprised hes even alive. I would really like some help with husbandry and enclosure as im not quite sure im doing it right i am willing to do anything it takes to help him recover unfortunetly i have spent basically all my money on him (parents buy insects) and cant take him to a vet, even once im able to there are no near by and i live in a very small country in europe that doesn't speak english. I really need help sorry if im not doing it right i have onky been on tortoise, frog forums

Welcome to the forum!
So nice of you to want to help this poor chameleon.
Please post some photos of your chamaleon.
Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum so we can help you with the husbandry.

Welcome to the forum!
So nice of you to want to help this poor chameleon.
Please post some photos of your chamaleon.
Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum so we can help you with the husbandry.
I will post some in the morning, right now he's sleeping and as soon as i turn on the lights he wakes up and puffs up (hes in a tiny enclosure right now while i set up his forever enclosure) i will fill out the questions as best as i can in the meantime and post pics of his enclosure. Thank u for the help!

Hi and welcome! We will do the best we can for you. Can you fill out the how to ask for help questionair? I will give you a link. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/ This will help us understand how you are keeping him and what you have already so we can answer your questions. Do you already have the chameleon?
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Yemen/veiled chameleon, i asked and the pet store said he was a little over a year old, spurs on feet so male i think, 2 days
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Ive been trying not to handle him too often and leave him be so his stress levels can calm down
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He ate 2 or 3 crickets dusted with multivitamind with d3 i tried giving him super worms too but he didn't eat any, i gutloaded them with carrot and apple no schedule so far
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I will post pics
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I hand mist, once my main enclosure is installed it will be automatic, in the morning, around 2pm and 5pm
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? In my care none but i saw it was brown and white/cream coloured urate, no (not that i know of)
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Stressed, not taken proper care of

Cage Info: soon to be main enclosure
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Combo glass and screen on side 60 x 50 x 80 with 50cm cabinet underneath for extra height (ithink im not exactly sure)
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I dont know, still setting up lights
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Not sure, still setting up temp and lights
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Mister
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? So far only has 1 plant, planning to add moss (not sure if safe yet) and lots of live plants only
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In my room next to my bed
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Europe sorry for bad quality pics

Attachments

• 20211017_011241.jpg
    20211017_011241.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 20211017_011412.jpg
    20211017_011412.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 99
  • 20211017_011355.jpg
    20211017_011355.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 95
Okay so you need lots of plants for him to hide in. I’m not sure what all the brown woody type stuff is in your cage. Moss is not safe because veiled chameleons like to eat the plants in the cage and if he eats the moss it could block up his intestines so he can’t poop. You want live plants not fake ones because again if he eats fake plants it could block his intestines. You will need a T5ho light fixture that is as wide as your cage and a reptisun 5.0 bulb or an Arcadia 6% bulb to fit the fixture. Th is is the uvb light. Then you will need a 40 or 60 watt incandescent or halogen heat bulb to give him some heat. You’ll need a couple temp/humidity gauges to put in his cage, one at the basking branch and one lower in the cage so you can monitor the heat and humidity. The uvb light needs to be 8-9 inches above the basking branch for the correct uvb level. I’ll be right back.

Okay so you need lots of plants for him to hide in. I’m not sure what all the brown woody type stuff is in your cage. Moss is not safe because veiled chameleons like to eat the plants in the cage and if he eats the moss it could block up his intestines so he can’t poop. You want live plants not fake ones because again if he eats fake plants it could block his intestines. You will need a T5ho light fixture that is as wide as your cage and a reptisun 5.0 bulb or an Arcadia 6% bulb to fit the fixture. Th is is the uvb light. Then you will need a 40 or 60 watt incandescent or halogen heat bulb to give him some heat. You’ll need a couple temp/humidity gauges to put in his cage, one at the basking branch and one lower in the cage so you can monitor the heat and humidity. The uvb light needs to be 8-9 inches above the basking branch for the correct uvb level. I’ll be right back.
Yep! I already have lots of pothos plants prepared and am going to go plant shopping and monday (will use a safe plant guide) ok i will not be using moss. Brown woody stuff is mostly bark and places to climb (ill be putting plants mostly vines and adding other plants in the bark) will update once i do. And will update with the lights and more once i find out the correct brand and information thank you! Oh and can soil/dirt cause impaction too? If so what can i do to hide it?

I’m not sure if the cage you have is big enough for your Cham and all the stuff that’s in it can cause a risk because they eat everything they are not supposed to. The cage you need is an all screen cage 2x2x4 feet tall. I don’t know the measurements for cm. It will need lots of branches for him to climb around on. Then add your plants.

Hi and welcome! :) I’m going to give you my suggestions in red.
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Yemen/veiled chameleon, i asked and the pet store said he was a little over a year old, spurs on feet so male i think, 2 days
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Ive been trying not to handle him too often and leave him be so his stress levels can calm down
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He ate 2 or 3 crickets dusted with multivitamind with d3 i tried giving him super worms too but he didn't eat any, He’s still getting settled in. He should start eating in a day or so. You can give him 3-4 feeders every other day once he’s adjusted to his new home. i gutloaded them with carrot and apple no schedule so far Attaching both feeder and gutloading graphics.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I will post pics You will need a phosphorus free calcium to lightly dust at every feeding. One feeding every week you will alternate between using a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I hand mist, once my main enclosure is installed it will be automatic, in the morning, around 2pm and 5pm Is best to mist for at least 2 minutes early in the day and then right before lights out. You can either give a misting mid day or use a dripper for about 15-20 minutes. Many chameleons are secretive about drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? In my care none but i saw it was brown and white/cream coloured urate, no (not that i know of)
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Stressed, not taken proper care of Poor guy

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Combo glass and screen on side 60 x 50 x 80 with 50cm cabinet underneath for extra height (ithink im not exactly sure) He will be needing much larger. A 60x60x120 cm is the minimum size needed. They like being up high…makes them feel safe.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I dont know, still setting up lights As already said, you need a linear T5 fixture with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. It needs to be long enough to span the width of your enclosure. Basking can use any non-LED light bulb. Start with a 60 watt and see what temperature that gives. Lights should be on a 12 hour schedule.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Not sure, still setting up temp and lights Ideal basking temp for your guy is between 26-28 c. A digital thermometer with a probe is most accurate. At night a good drop in temp is ideal.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Mister Ideal humidity during the day is between 30-50%. At night when temps are below 21c, you can use a fogger and have humidity as high as 80-100%. That simulates the natural hydration of fog that they get in the wild.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? So far only has 1 plant, planning to add moss (not sure if safe yet) and lots of live plants only No moss, as you’ve already been told. Lots of safe live plants are best. Usually we have a tall center plant, like a schefflera or ficus benjamina and then along the sides have trailing plants like pothos, philodendron and such. You’ll also need lots of branches or vines to give him lots of little roads to travel on. You can use branches from outside…just wash with a dish soap, rinse well and dry in the sun. Avoid pine trees and others that have sap. I’ll also add a pic of one of my enclosures to give you a general idea.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In my room next to my bed
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Europe sorry for bad quality pics
While there are a lot of changes that you’ll need to make, and I hope I haven’t overwhelmed you. The most important to get right now are correct supplements and uvb light. He also desperately needs some plants to drink from, take shade from his lights and hide in.
A great place to learn so much more is https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ and if you like videos, Neptune the chameleon on YouTube is great! Of course, ask as many questions as you need and please share your progress and pics of your guy. 💗

283A14B2-9E38-4DAC-9FDE-FFACAFA316ED.jpeg
346BAA98-F279-41A3-B626-667D8AF8FA90.jpeg

915F0B7A-DEFC-427A-BF03-0E2FF647FEA3.jpeg

Hi and welcome! :) I’m going to give you my suggestions in red.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He ate 2 or 3 crickets dusted with multivitamind with d3 i tried giving him super worms too but he didn't eat any, He’s still getting settled in. He should start eating in a day or so. You can give him 3-4 feeders every other day once he’s adjusted to his new home. i gutloaded them with carrot and apple no schedule so far Attaching both feeder and gutloading graphics.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I will post pics You will need a phosphorus free calcium to lightly dust at every feeding. One feeding every week you will alternate between using a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I hand mist, once my main enclosure is installed it will be automatic, in the morning, around 2pm and 5pm Is best to mist for at least 2 minutes early in the day and then right before lights out. You can either give a misting mid day or use a dripper for about 15-20 minutes. Many chameleons are secretive about drinking.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Stressed, not taken proper care of Poor guy

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Combo glass and screen on side 60 x 50 x 80 with 50cm cabinet underneath for extra height (ithink im not exactly sure) He will be needing much larger. A 60x60x120 cm is the minimum size needed. They like being up high…makes them feel safe.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I dont know, still setting up lights As already said, you need a linear T5 fixture with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. It needs to be long enough to span the width of your enclosure. Basking can use any non-LED light bulb. Start with a 60 watt and see what temperature that gives. Lights should be on a 12 hour schedule.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Not sure, still setting up temp and lights Ideal basking temp for your guy is between 26-28 c. A digital thermometer with a probe is most accurate. At night a good drop in temp is ideal.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Mister Ideal humidity during the day is between 30-50%. At night when temps are below 21c, you can use a fogger and have humidity as high as 80-100%. That simulates the natural hydration of fog that they get in the wild.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? So far only has 1 plant, planning to add moss (not sure if safe yet) and lots of live plants only No moss, as you’ve already been told. Lots of safe live plants are best. Usually we have a tall center plant, like a schefflera or ficus benjamina and then along the sides have trailing plants like pothos, philodendron and such. You’ll also need lots of branches or vines to give him lots of little roads to travel on. You can use branches from outside…just wash with a dish soap, rinse well and dry in the sun. Avoid pine trees and others that have sap. I’ll also add a pic of one of my enclosures to give you a general idea.
While there are a lot of changes that you’ll need to make, and I hope I haven’t overwhelmed you. The most important to get right now are correct supplements and uvb light. He also desperately needs some plants to drink from, take shade from his lights and hide in.
A great place to learn so much more is https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ and if you like videos, Neptune the chameleon on YouTube is great! Of course, ask as many questions as you need and please share your progress and pics of your guy. 💗

View attachment 312610View attachment 312611
View attachment 312614
Hi! Thank you for all the help! I will post picks of the cham now, also sorry i messed up the size it is 80 cm (length) and up to bottom it is 180 cm (including the 50cm cabnet) so its 130

I’m not sure if the cage you have is big enough for your Cham and all the stuff that’s in it can cause a risk because they eat everything they are not supposed to. The cage you need is an all screen cage 2x2x4 feet tall. I don’t know the measurements for cm. It will need lots of branches for him to climb around on. Then add your plants.
Sorry! I don't know feet either, it's really hard to get all screen enclosures here (I've been looking online everywhere) so will he eat the bark? I tried removing everything i can that's loose but the rest is just sticks and places for him to climb on. I looked it up i dont know if its correct but they said it's around 2 feet by 2 feet by 5 feet including cabinet (50cm)

Sorry! I don't know feet either, it's really hard to get all screen enclosures here (I've been looking online everywhere) so will he eat the bark? I tried removing everything i can that's loose but the rest is just sticks and places for him to climb on. I looked it up i dont know if its correct but they said it's around 2 feet by 2 feet by 5 feet including cabinet (50cm)
Ok sorry again for bad quality pics but here he is, i had topick him up with a towel. He seems to have alot of energy/fight in him though ☹️

Attachments

• 20211017_163558.jpg
    20211017_163558.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20211017_162648.jpg
    20211017_162648.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20211017_162641.jpg
    20211017_162641.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 90
Oh he’s shedding! Well that’s a good thing! It sounds like you’re enclosure is a good size. Miss Skittles has given you some really good advice already so you need to make the changes she suggested. Thank you for the pictures! Does he climb his branches okay? Is his cage all set up yet? He needs to be in it now.

Oh he’s shedding! Well that’s a good thing! It sounds like you’re enclosure is a good size. Miss Skittles has given you some really good advice already so you need to make the changes she suggested. Thank you for the pictures! Does he climb his branches okay? Is his cage all set up yet? He needs to be in it now.
Ok, the lights are coming and hopefully I'll have everything set up in a day or two since some of the lights i ordered haven't come yet and buying more plants on monday so he'll have more places to hide (hopefully i can find an umbrella plant or ficus). Any idea why his casque and spine is so crooked? And if so what i could do? Hopefully with the right supplements and lights they'll be ok. Thank you!

If you or someone you know is handy, you could build your own screen enclosure or a hybrid. Many keepers repurpose old entertainment centers or China cabinets by cutting out some pieces, attaching screening, waterproofing and figuring out a good drainage system. You may be able to get some ideas from the enclosure picture threads. https://www.chameleonforums.com/forums/enclosures-and-supplies.14/
I'll have to ask my dad to help me build another one in the future, the one we have now only has 1 screen on the side is this ok for now? Thanks!

Ok, the lights are coming and hopefully I'll have everything set up in a day or two since some of the lights i ordered haven't come yet and buying more plants on monday so he'll have more places to hide (hopefully i can find an umbrella plant or ficus). Any idea why his casque and spine is so crooked? And if so what i could do? Hopefully with the right supplements and lights they'll be ok. Thank you!
I’m not sure why his casque and spines are crooked for sure but it sounds like he may have metabolic bone disease which is basically calcium deficiency. You’ll need to follow the supplement schedule miss skittles gave you above. That will help him a lot.
I'll have to ask my dad to help me build another one in the future, the one we have now only has 1 screen on the side is this ok for now? Thanks!
Does this cage have screen in the top as well?

Back
Top Bottom