Need help with humidity tonight

how do you make reptibreeze xl into a bio active setup?
Build a wooden box for the cage to rest on (keep top side open), put pond liner down, and fill with either premixed soil or make your own. Add springtails and isopods, and boom, bioactive!

So the bottom maybe 8-10 inches of the reptibreeze would sit in a wooden box lined with pond liner then fill the bottom of the cage with some sort of soil and isopods and springtails?
I’m not sure the table I have my cage on could hold all of that as well as I’m not sure I want to undertake all of that. Is this the only other way to raise humidity? I have winter coming and the humidity is only going to get worse when it gets cold and the heater is running!

It's just one idea, but it's the easiest to me. There are a million and one ways to do it, so doing some research and finding what'll be the best for you should help you more. It also doesn't have to be deep soil, either. You can buy a ReptiBreeze tray that goes into the cage and use that to put your substrate in, too.

I didn’t know they made a reptibreeze tray Until yesterday when someone here posted a pic of one. Wouldn’t having the mistking running often over water the plants? I wonder if I could just add sphagnum moss in the bottom of my reptibreeze and keep it damp if that would work or putting it in pots in the bottom of my cage and keeping it moist.. I just need help thinking of ways of doing this.

If you go bioactive, you have a wonderful sleep drain and drainage layer to prevent overwatering and water logging the substrate.

Does anyone know if adding moist sphagnum moss either in pots or just in the bottom of my reptibreeze if it would or could harm or cause problems with my Jackson’s Cham?

Having just sphagnum moss will be an issue. It'll grow bacteria, and if a bug ever gets down there, it's an impaction risk, too.

Ok yes I was just googling this and found that out. I did see a video from Neptune the chameleon and one of her suggestions was to just have a humidifier going in the room to raise overall humidity would help so I think I will try that and see what happens.

So I have it running now and it is a heavy dense fog like mist but I’m not blowing it directly in his enclosure, its just going into the room. It’s about 4 feet in front of his enclosure so we will see if this works.

Well the humidifier has been on for awhile and my humidity has gone from about 58 to about 60%. Not much of a difference. @JacksJill do you have any ideas on what more I can do to raise my night time humidity besides what I’ve done already?

You are going to have to commit to a humidifier you can attach a pvc pipe to and aim the mist directly into the cage. Vicks has a reasonably priced one at Walmart. You will need pipe the size of the outlet and some elbows and an end cap. You only need the end cap if you drill holes in the side of the pipe that run across the top of the cage to create more spread. you can just direct the end of the pipe down above the screen. YOur goal is to have the cascade descend on the sleep spot.

You don't need to glue the pipe joints because there will be virtually no pressure. I take mine apart periodically to clean. If you use distilled water in your humidifier it stays a lot cleaner.

The problem with it is I can’t get my temps down to below 67. That’s why i was just running it in the room, not putting it directly in his enclosure. The room eventually got down to 68 degrees but that’s about as low as it got.

Last edited:
You don't need to glue the pipe joints because there will be virtually no pressure. I take mine apart periodically to clean. If you use distilled water in your humidifier it stays a lot cleaner.
I think you live in California don’t you? How do you keep Jackson’s in California? It seems like the temps would never get low enough outside to be able to do this unless they are all in one room with an large ac unit just for them And plenty of humidifiers. My Jackson’s is in my living room with a window with a small ac unit right next to him.

There’s no probe, gust the little square gauges I have hung ant the top, middle, and bottom of the sides of the cage. I hung them by paper clips in the screen.
That may not give an accurate picture of the humidity where Eustis sleeps—IDK. I went through something similar. When I moved the probe to the middle of the foliage where he beds down for the night, the humidity was considerably (up to 20%) higher than out in the open. This is partly due to the evaporating mist water, and partly due to transpiration. I do not have a fan moving air through my enclosure; it moves naturally via chimney effect.

I didn’t know there were humidity gauges with probes. Which brand do you use? I have thought that the humidity has got to be higher within the plants with all I’m doing. I don’t have a fan blowing in the enclosure but I have one blowing in the room it’s in.

Back
Top Bottom