Need help deciding! New Cham in the future..

blackbetty

Alright.. I need you experts to chime and let me know which is the better recommended for a relatively new cham owner. I have a veiled already, Ben.. He is spoiled rotten. Hubby wants a Jackson's (male of course).. Im rather becoming fond of the Nosey Be's after seeing everyones awesome pics..and we both like Panthers.. We want to build an enclosure so we want to pick the right one and build it suited to its needs. I thought I heard that Panthers tend to take to handling better and you can get some awesome color moprhs.. WE aren't getting it anytime soon, so don't tell me to wait and enjoy Ben and yadayada..:") We are just planning ahead and would like Personal feedback from those who own them, if possible someone who owns all three..Thanks! (or even if you own one that I didnt name that you think might be relatively easy to maintain..pics are welcome and encouraged. !)

Panther care is very much like Veiled care.
Jackson's are harder.
Does that help?

-Brad

I knew Panthers were pretty simple..and they tend be larger right? Yea, we have been researching jacksons for awhile and know they are difficult, hence why we are doing all the know how ahead of time.. what about Nosey Be's? how do they rank? I love their look.

Not a expert but heard that Carpet Chams are good starters.

Yes I have heard that Carpet Chams are pretty low mantinence and also agree with you about simpley planning ahead. You post stuff up and it's not like your going to do it right away. And they take almost affensive.
Any way here are some Pics of the Carpet Chameleons.

http://www.flchams.com/inventory/Carpet 2.jpg

Yes I have heard that Carpet Chams are pretty low mantinence and also agree with you about simpley planning ahead. You post stuff up and it's not like your going to do it right away. And they take almost affensive.
Any way here are some Pics of the Carpet Chameleons.

http://www.flchams.com/inventory/Carpet 2.jpg

Yea, thats why I said, Im planning ahead..far ahead..:) I just lost my girl tonite, but we fell in love with our chams so we would love to be owners of another kind again sometime..Just wanting input/feedback. Thanks!

I think you should go for a nice big male Nosy Be. Their care is similar to veileds so it should be an easy transition and they are much more user friendly than Jackson's, which need special care and attention for their humidity and lower basking temps. You and your husband both like the panther and you would have a stunning conversation piece.

I've had both panther and Jackson's (no veileds, as yet), and I echo the others - the panther is friendlier, doesn't have the humidity requirements of the Jackson's, and is probably closer to what you're used to with the veiled. Panther is bigger and more colorful, and more color options. Alas, the panther is conspicuously lacking in horns...

I've had both panther and Jackson's (no veileds, as yet), and I echo the others - the panther is friendlier, doesn't have the humidity requirements of the Jackson's, and is probably closer to what you're used to with the veiled. Panther is bigger and more colorful, and more color options. Alas, the panther is conspicuously lacking in horns...

Yea, I think the Panthers are cool.. I just wondered because I found a pari fo Jacksons online for $100..And my husband has always wanted one. I didnt know if they were always this cheap? I have no clue what the average price ranges are for chams. I bought Ben off a local website for $75 with a crappy glass tank..and Betty off Craigslist living in a closet with no proper UVB for $100.. and she is now dead.. so yea, wanna do my research but I would love for one I can interact with more.>ben is rather temperamental.

Yea, I think the Panthers are cool.. I just wondered because I found a pari fo Jacksons online for $100..And my husband has always wanted one. I didnt know if they were always this cheap? I have no clue what the average price ranges are for chams. I bought Ben off a local website for $75 with a crappy glass tank..and Betty off Craigslist living in a closet with no proper UVB for $100.. and she is now dead.. so yea, wanna do my research but I would love for one I can interact with more.>ben is rather temperamental.

Whatever you chose go through a reputable breeder. There are many here on this site so you don't end up having to go through what you just did with your little girl. I know its hard to resist a bargain but vet bills and meds can be expensive so that $100 pair of chams can turn out to be a lot more expensive than you think.

Yea, I think the Panthers are cool.. I just wondered because I found a pari fo Jacksons online for $100..And my husband has always wanted one. I didnt know if they were always this cheap? I have no clue what the average price ranges are for chams.
In my limited experience, veileds and Jacksons are less expensive than panthers. My Jacksons was $75 ($100 shipped) for one male; I regularly see baby veileds for $49-$79. For a Nosy Be, you're probably looking at ~$200-$300. Many of the sponsors of this forum breed many of the panther morphs (and some carry Jackson's sometimes), and many of the members also breed. I don't know where you're looking (and I know you're not getting one tomorrow), but these sources may give you a more satisfying experience than some websites. Kingsnake also has a lot of chameleons posted, from many various sources.

Good for you for doing the research first, whatever you finally choose.

Although I do not and have not owned jacksons, and even though I too very much like the look of a jackson, I am going to suggest the Panther, Nosybe or otherwise. Its needs are very similar to the veiled you already have. And what a panther lacks in horns, it will have in colour. You can look to your veiled anytime you want to see great headgear, and to the panther for colour.

The up front cost of a panther is not all that much more, considering the life time its like $30-$40 a year. Maintenance costs for any chameleon outweight the initial purchase price :)
(this is how I justify buying two more panthers this year)

Although I do not and have not owned jacksons, and even though I too very much like the look of a jackson, I am going to suggest the Panther, Nosybe or otherwise. Its needs are very similar to the veiled you already have. And what a panther lacks in horns, it will have in colour. You can look to your veiled anytime you want to see great headgear, and to the panther for colour.

The up front cost of a panther is not all that much more, considering the life time its like $30-$40 a year. Maintenance costs for any chameleon outweight the initial purchase price :)

I love that logic and am going to borrow it for the chamsI 'n getting from Julirs, thanks

hey who said veileds aren't as colorful as panthers :D

What about 4 horns? I saw them on LLLreptile Never saw em before.. KNow nothing about them. I'd love some coloration.. Ben is very..pastelly and doesnt seem to vary from that.. Thank you guys. We are going to build an enclosure to suit it properly. Is there a link on here that will give me the PROPER materials and dimensions so I dont get screamed at later on? :D

hey who said veileds aren't as colorful as panthers :D

Yep-no color here! ;):p:D

DSCN3260.jpg

As far as caging-you can build your own out of well sealed wood and aluminum or pet screening, but if you buy an aluminum framed cage it will last your forever and unless you are super duper handy-it will cost you as much to build one in the long run.

^^ What she said.

if you want to be handy make the stand. IMO. In the Enclosures and supplies are plenty of threads on how people made their setups though

We just don't seem to find one that we feel suits our space. Our house is set up really weird and with 3 kids and 2 Great Danes, we are limited on where cages can go. My husband is very handy and it keeps his busy (and outta my hair! LOL)..

Man-I have that 3 kids and Dane thing going on to! :) The thing about most male Panthers and Veileds are that they really need at least that 24X24X48 cage size-and really I truly believe that optimally dimensions could be even better wider. If you can not accomodate the larger cages then maybe going with a smaller chameleon would be better.
DSCN3527.jpg

Beautiful dog. You can see mine on my website that is under my profile. I wont post them on here.:) We are thinking of making a whole wall one with separation..Now, if you want to house 2 chameleons next to each other, should there be a solid piece in between so they cant see each other or is screen okay? We were just thinking not as deep as alot of cages, maybe 18 inches deep but tall and wide. What are smaller chams? Jacksons seem rather difficult, we have a veiled....

Back
Top Bottom