NEED HELP ASAP

My chameleon been not wanting to eat for the past week she is a female ive been trying to feed her mealworms superworms hornworms and giving her water she dosent want to eat or drink need help

Hello glad you made it here, what species of chameleon is she? how old is your Cham? How long have you had her? There are a lot of great people here who are very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Welcome!! I'm sorry to hear about your chammie not eating or drinking, she might not be eating because a bug bit her, but that doesn't explain her not drinking. Has she been putting her head up, closing her eyes, and gaping?

Welcome!! I'm sorry to hear about your chammie not eating or drinking, she might not be eating because a bug bit her, but that doesn't explain her not drinking. Has she been putting her head up, closing her eyes, and gaping?
No shes hasnt been doing that she looks normal i dont know if shes stressed depressed or probably ready to lay fertile eggs i had her for 8 months already

Pictures of your chameleon and her enclosure are really helpful. Without them we are all just guessing

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpeg
    IMG_3138.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3140.jpeg
    IMG_3140.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 15
It looks like there could be quite a few things concerning that could be causing it. My first inclination is she needs to eggs - has she laid eggs before? Have you seen her digging?

I also don't see proper UVB lighting - that means she's probably not getting the right UVB or Vitamin D and thus isn't utilizing calcium correctly. A big bunch of eggs is going to be a huge draw on her system and make her feel really ill.

If she's not eating or drinking (certainly not due to a bug biting her) she may be slowly shutting down. I'd take her to a vet - if she's eggbound, that's going to need medical intervention ASAP before she gets too weak for surgery.

Also, what temperature is her basking spot? How much and what are you feeding her? What are the supplements you're using, and what's your schedule for them?

It looks like there could be quite a few things concerning that could be causing it. My first inclination is she needs to eggs - has she laid eggs before? Have you seen her digging?

I also don't see proper UVB lighting - that means she's probably not getting the right UVB or Vitamin D and thus isn't utilizing calcium correctly. A big bunch of eggs is going to be a huge draw on her system and make her feel really ill.

If she's not eating or drinking (certainly not due to a bug biting her) she may be slowly shutting down. I'd take her to a vet - if she's eggbound, that's going to need medical intervention ASAP before she gets too weak for surgery.

Also, what temperature is her basking spot? How much and what are you feeding her? What are the supplements you're using, and what's your schedule for them?
I feed her hornworms crickets and mealworms as treats and i dont know if she has been digging but she has been going to the ground more often

Does she have a lay bin? All that you say she has been doing hint towards her being gravid and ready and looking to lay her eggs. However, just going by the pics, she may not be able to on her own. As has already been mentioned, her uvb is incorrect. Unfortunately, the screw in bulbs aren’t able to provide the needed uvb level at any distance beyond 2-3”. Not knowing what supplements she’s been getting or how much she’s fed, she may a large number of eggs and difficulty laying them due to presumed calcium deficiency. You most definitely need to get her seen asap by a good vet who has experience with chameleons. @elizaann2 has a great list of vets that she can share with you. This will go over all of the egg laying stuff. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/ Once your pretty girl has her current eggy problem resolved, she definitely needs some upgrades to her enclosure that we’d be more than happy to help you with. Here’s a couple of resources for now. https://www.neptunethechameleon.com/ https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

I just want to add that I too have a veiled and he has gone on hunger strikes for a solid month. I have seen him drink water once in the last six months and he doesn’t eat in front of me, unless it’s a hornworm because then he runs for the feeder cup. And he’s totally healthy and happy. The panthers on the other hand eat like crazy and drink a lot.

I just want to add that I too have a veiled and he has gone on hunger strikes for a solid month. I have seen him drink water once in the last six months and he doesn’t eat in front of me, unless it’s a hornworm because then he runs for the feeder cup. And he’s totally healthy and happy. The panthers on the other hand eat like crazy and drink a lot.
Yep...that is one of the reasons why we monitor poop so much. It gives us hints on how much or cham is eating, if they really are getting water and are hydrated etc.

Back
Top Bottom