NEED ASSISTANCE/ADVICE - VERY UPSET

Hi sweet heart... So we talked a bit already. But I have been thinking about this all morning. What if you got one of those masks to wear when you are having to use the supplements? We have the same shakers for this I believe. Also I really don't mind sending you some of the Arcadia Calcium without D3. This one only is used every 3rd feeding. Which would cut back on the each feeding having to deal with dusting. I think they make an excellent product as well. Beman has done really well on both of his supplements from Arcadia. Or maybe it is not the supplements and it is the feeders.

You could cut out crickets all together now and switch over to silkworms, bsfl, and superworms. Silks don't grow nearly as fast as hornworms. And I have found that if you don't keep them too warm they grow slower. I know right now Angus is on every day feedings but soon he will be on every other day. I am not sure if it was just Beman but he curbed wayyyy back on his feeders once he hit 6-7 months as well. He also wanted nothing to do with crickets by then. Right now you are at the eat eat eat stage but very soon he will grow out of it. Silks seem to be much more filling as well so you would not be feeding as many.

Then there is the fact that if you are just too allergic then I totally understand as well. I will support you in whatever you need to do for your health. I know how hard this is for you. I know with the months of us talking and sharing info about our setups and little men that you intended to keep Angus forever. I know that this is horrible for you and that it is the last thing you would want to do. So my friend you have my support no matter how you proceed. <3

I believe arcadia uses natural clay instead of seafood sources - I would definitely try that as well as using a mask & gloves. Crickets and roaches might not be able to be used but worms, locusts/mantis/stick bugs, snails, BFSL - check out Symton as they have different sizes & pupae, so hatch times would be shorter). I definitely recommend a good hospital grade HEPA filter system - talk to your allergist.

@Matt Vanilla Gorilla So these are the supplements I use. Do you think they would work better with allergies for Carmen? She would still need a Calcium with D3 though 2 times a month because Arcadia does not make a supplement for this since they believe in D3 synthesis from light only.

Earthpro-A dusted nearly every feed.
earthpro-a-back.png earthpro-a-front.png

CalciumPro Mg dusted at every 3rd feed
calciumpro-back.png calciumpro-front.png

@Matt Vanilla Gorilla So these are the supplements I use. Do you think they would work better with allergies for Carmen? She would still need a Calcium with D3 though 2 times a month because Arcadia does not make a supplement for this since they believe in D3 synthesis from light only.

View attachment 226455View attachment 226456

View attachment 226457View attachment 226458
2 good D3 supplements to complement would be either Repashy LoD or Sticky Farms indoor - both have mined calcium carbonate - so not crushed seafood sources. The iodine components are from either kelp or hydroponic vegetable matter. I would still use gloves/mask just because of how fine the particles are & highly allergic individuals are more prone to asthma or allergic reactions in the lungs.

View attachment 226455View attachment 226456

View attachment 226457View attachment 226458
That look like some protein powder I used to take and Made in England too.

Wow, see, you are not alone! People care about you and want to help! Isn't Chameleonforums.com just the best! Some Facebook sites/groups would have bashed your skull in by now and dumped you by the wayside to have the coyotes devour your carcass! Lol. We should start a "Hypoallergenic Chameleon Keeping" thread to help people with allergy problems that will come after you! This is some good stuff happening here! Thank you everyone for your help and support!

So hello everyone. I am soooo very sad that this is occuring but we have figured out that I am allergic to what we believe to be the feeders dusting (calcium, etc......) . i have been very ill ever since I got Angus and we have tracked it back to this as of now but I am so ill, i continue to have respiratory illnesses requiring antiobiotics, medicines, and missing work, so it is affecting my job very badly as well. i am very upset and saddened by this because I love my little Angus, but I am not sure if the alternatives to liquid drops, etc.... are good for him much less the trouble and expense it may cost in order to keep him. I am curious if anyone else has had this happen to them where they are allergic and made adjustments (affordable and healthy adjustments not only for them but for your cham) that worked for them? I may be forced to have to find him a new home. He is only 5 months old and one of @Matt Vanilla Gorilla 's babies and he is PERFECT! I am very upset and saddened by this but it is important that I do what is best for not only me but for Angus. If anyone lives in Texas or close by and would be interested in him, please let me know. Looking for options??????

If you are in Texas, I would highly recommend checking out the biodude for all natural products. Crickets can be dirty, roaches can be more clean. I will be getting some bug grub to provide the nutrition in the gutload. I will be investing in a bio active setup which will act as a self cleaning system which can also create your own photosynthesis with live plants, this can cut down the harmful bacteria, hope this helps and everything works out!

I’m confused by this. Photosynthesis is the process where plant absorbs light and stores it as energy to be used by the plant. Has more to do with the lights then bioactive soil. You need both to create a self sufficient ecosystem, dead leaves create a bioactive climate as each are apart of the cycle. All i'm saying it is a healthier option as plants produce oxygen.

I’m confused by this. Photosynthesis is the process where plant absorbs light and stores it as energy to be used by the plant. Has more to do with the lights then bioactive soil. You need both to create a self sufficient ecosystem, dead leaves create a bioactive climate as each are apart of the cycle. All i'm saying it is a healthier option as plants produce oxygen.

I think your either confused how bioactive works or you are not wording this correctly.

Wow, see, you are not alone! People care about you and want to help! Isn't Chameleonforums.com just the best! Some Facebook sites/groups would have bashed your skull in by now and dumped you by the wayside to have the coyotes devour your carcass! Lol. We should start a "Hypoallergenic Chameleon Keeping" thread to help people with allergy problems that will come after you! This is some good stuff happening here! Thank you everyone for your help and support!
You are definitely not alone! I have bad asthma & have to wear a mask when working with crickets & dubia. I sometimes have issues on my more sensitive days with standing water/mold/mildew...so I have to empty drainage daily & make sure to not have a super large reservoir for my mistking. Small adaptations can help!!

Crickets are naturally pretty gross, and roaches are technically more hygienic. They even clean themselves a bit, avoid bad food, and have strong immune systems making them unlikely to carry pathogens. The problem is the frass, people can develop allergies to it just as they can develop allergies to pollen. I actually wear a respirator mask in my basement bug room and when cleaning cat litter(makes me look like the Walter white of animal husbandry). I don't have allergies, but I do it as a precaution. I also keep a small hepa filter in the cham room.

Due to that fact that most humans are frequently ingesting cockroach particles and feces in our food (such as chocolate rice and other grains) a large quantity of humans have cockroach allergies without even knowing about it! When people say "eating chocolate gives me a migraine" or "I am allergic to chocolate" it is usually due to a cockroach allergy!

Oops, my apologies for spoiling appetites!

Due to that fact that most humans are frequently ingesting cockroach particles and feces in our food (such as chocolate rice and other grains) a large quantity of humans have cockroach allergies without even knowing about it! When people say "eating chocolate gives me a migraine" or "I am allergic to chocolate" it is usually due to a cockroach allergy!

Cockroach milk is supposed to be the superfood of the future. Have you heard of it lol? Hershey's cockroach-milk chocolate incoming

Ewwwww... I love chocolate! I don't think I will ever look at it quite the same now lol.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your allergies and that you are so sick! I have kidney problems and have to follow a very strict diet or I get really ill so I understand how awful it is to be so sick.

I know how much you love your little Angus, and hopefully you'll be able to try some of everyone's suggestions. But if not, if you're just too sick and you're sure it's the supplements or feeders, then do what you need to to be healthy again. I'm sure you'll find Angus a good home if need be. Your health is most important, it's terrible to be so sick.

Take care!

Back
Top Bottom