Need advice

JoXie411

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I’m dealing with a really bad rat problem. The rats are now going after my insect colonies. I’ve found rat pop on top of the lids, should I be scared of the risk of a disease transferring to the bugs that can get the the chams? I’m having a really bad mental break down here, I’m trying my best to keep my human and chameleon wards safe but it’s getting to hard now with the more comfortable the rats get. Rat poop falls from the ceilings on top of the cages all the time. Honestly any advice at this point will help

i thought about releasing snakes up there the traps aren’t working! I’m just getting scared of a sickness that could affect the chameleons since poop is literally falling from the sky now and showing up on my roach bins now

I know when I use to ride where I boarded my horse, the owner would put black snakes in the rafters in the hay loft, never had any rats at all. Might be worth a try because the snakes will stay where the eating is good.

I would get new bins as a precaution until you can get this under control. I feel for you.

Hey ...you may have already seen this - and I don't know your particulars - but I found this at https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/rats.htm:
  • Rats (especially Roof rats) are wary of new objects, new foods or changed in environment. They are constantly exploring surroundings and notice changes and are suspious by nature.. This is why traps and bait stations may be avoided for a day or two. They approach new food or object with caution. Within a rat colony, they may be a few rats that are extra cautious and manage to avoid traps or eating rodent baits. See Rat Trapping Tips and Rat Baiting Tips.

Hey ...you may have already seen this - and I don't know your particulars - but I found this at https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/rats.htm:
  • Rats (especially Roof rats) are wary of new objects, new foods or changed in environment. They are constantly exploring surroundings and notice changes and are suspious by nature.. This is why traps and bait stations may be avoided for a day or two. They approach new food or object with caution. Within a rat colony, they may be a few rats that are extra cautious and manage to avoid traps or eating rodent baits. See Rat Trapping Tips and Rat Baiting Tips.
I was thinking about doing the live trap method because the rats keep flipping the traps, I just wasn’t sure if it would work but after reading over some of this I think it will now thanks

Rats are a nasty nuisance like wild pigs because they are so damn intelligent. You rent right? I assume you can't make your landlord get this handled? You're probably going to need an exterminator. I would be more worried about disease transfer to you than the cham.
Yea I wake up early every day to sanitize everything b4 my son wakes and try to find all the rat droppings I can b4 he up.

Our landlord is in debt to the exterminators so no one will help us. They blocked all the entry points so now the rats are stuck in the house witch is why the activity has gotten worse. I don’t dare go into the kitchen after 5 pm unless I want to run out crying

So tips that are cheap for me to get a handle on this till we move would be very much appreciated.

im not using poison at the moment because I didn’t want to deal with the smell of dead bodies but f it at this point I’m going to head to Home Depot in a little and see what I can get. My security cameras catch the rats running around all night so I know there route now and entry points

I’ll just put the stuff out once my son falls asleep and wake early to pick everything up b4 he wakes. I can function off 4 hours of sleep it’s fine.

Dudes never want to leave cali for some reason. I tell my family all the time, my brothers and brother in laws are the ones that never want to leave. It's beautiful out there, but seems too complicated to be worth it lol. Anyway sorry, I'm going off task

Honestly I would pack up and leave. I know it's easier said then done but if it's as bad as you're saying and the rats are chewing on your kids toys and all I'd tell the landlord, "See you in court". It's just a matter of when the rats get someone sick over there, not if.

Honestly I would pack up and leave. I know it's easier said then done but if it's as bad as you're saying and the rats are chewing on your kids toys and all I'd tell the landlord, "See you in court". It's just a matter of when the rats get someone sick over there, not if.
I’m actively looking for a place. I have a few places to look at today.

I just moved into this place 4 months ago

Its the landlords responsibility, debt or not. They need to use your rent to get it fixed, then as that is a MAJOR health hazard for you. Rats might go after the bug food and cage, but they may also go after your chams. They need to go asap or you need to go.
Ok that’s what I was worried the most about was them going after the chams now that they are limited on food options now.

We talked to a lawyer we advised us to withhold rent since they are ignoring us now at this point and to find a new place and to take them to court

This is 100% valid reason for breaking your lease so make sure you get your full deposit back or file a claim for $10 to get it. They should not be renting with a rat infestation that it sounds like they knew they had!
After speaking with the exterminators they told us they took 13 rats off the property last year. That’s when we contacted a lawyer

How do I file a claim without having to have a lawyer do it for me?

Back
Top Bottom