Natural Sticks?

The Wild One

Chameleon Enthusiast
I set out to go find some sicks my my Chams enclosure and I found four different types, I want to know if there are specific types that are harmful, and how do you clean them? Thanks!

I don’t know if they are safe, but I baked mine in the oven until the house smelt like there is a campfire ...
Personally I do stay away from pines, and I’m always worried about that green stuff, just don’t know if it’s fungus.

I barely clean my branches before popping them in m enclosure(s). I give em a quick scrub/rinse to remove any obvious dirt, and then in they go!

As a general rule, you'll want to avoid "green" branches and let them dry out for a week or two/until there's no sap oozing at the very least. I personally don't use pine/cedar/other softwood unless it's been sitting for a long time and is fully dry. Beyond that it's fair game in my book! More than half of the wood in my current bioactive build is aged juniper; the rest is willow and a touch of cork. :)

Hi :) I just finished my new closure and I used both branches and drift woods. If you have a tub you can soak them first in vinegar ( I didn’t use bleach cus I was a bit worry if they are too strong) . Scrub clean, rinse and soak them in water for another few hours then leave them basking under the sun for a few days.

Attachments

• E4214EFC-99A9-4EF6-991B-F1D47874AC4E.jpeg
    E4214EFC-99A9-4EF6-991B-F1D47874AC4E.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 78
No reason to clean them off. I never do it other than a quick rinse with the hose. Maybe let sit in the sun for a few hours. Sure you can if it helps you sleep, but I wouldn't stress over it. More important things to work your brain up over. No one has had a chameleon die over an uncleaned branch.

I don't understand the thinking of using a cleaner like bleach. The bleach residue is probably going to be more harmful than anything on a tree branch.

I’m with James on this one: healthy chams walk all over fungus risen branches and rotting vegetation. Not that I’m advising putting a branch that’s more mushroom than wood in your enclosure; I just wouldn’t worry too much about serious complications from natural branches. However, many conifers—pines, spruces, etc—have super sticky, and sometimes mildly corrosive sap. Probably stay away from fresh conifer boughs until they’ve dried sufficiently.

Lol..brody, your bio viv is sweet a+++ I'm going to build a nice one!! Worthy of show!! a store owner buddy of mine owns Flori culture exotic plants and supplies says he will put my chams in his store if the display is worthy lol.. although somehow I ended up with 6 females and 2 males and they are my breeders, I'll post the viv when I'm done

A bit off subject, but look at getting Dragonstrand.com Ledges to attach your branches to, nothing works as well.
Can you build a bigger one? I’ve been thinking about building a bigger cage for Larry but I have no idea how to build a cage and I don’t trust myself with power tools

To be clear I can use them but doesn’t mean I will not hurt myself.
Check out the W I D E Atrium cage at Dragonstrand.com, best built commercial cage in the market, and width for a chameleon is better suited to their movement patterns than vertical movement.

CHEERS!

Nick

Lol..brody, your bio viv is sweet a+++ I'm going to build a nice one!! Worthy of show!! a store owner buddy of mine owns Flori culture exotic plants and supplies says he will put my chams in his store if the display is worthy lol.. although somehow I ended up with 6 females and 2 males and they are my breeders, I'll post the viv when I'm done
Hit me up when your ready, I’d be glad to help!

Back
Top Bottom