Natural sticks

KyleFitzz

I live out in the pine barons in New Jersey and I have tons of access to natural sticks and branches. If I wash them off with soap and water could I use them for my Chameleons homes?

Its best to bake them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or so to kill all bugs, mold, and bacteria. It also hardens them and makes them more durable in the long run.

Pine, unfortuantely, is not recommended. It's usually sappy and many reptiles have bad reactions to living with pine shavings, typically respiratory issues. Now, a branch isn't as bad as lots of mulchy pine shavings but it's one of those things, it's easier to avoid possible problems than to treat them later.

If you have other tree species, then yes, you can use them. Natural branches are fine (live branches that you cut down seem to last better, in my opinion, vs. dead ones on the ground) but just make sure they don't come from a sappy species or something in the pine family. Also, baking pine will make your house smell amazing but will leave your oven a horrible, smokey, sticky mess.

Well I won't use a pine tree definitely cut down some other species. Baking them in the oven can't be done, are there any other alternatives? And I said pine barons because it's a very wooded area! I won't be using pine trees

Well I won't use a pine tree definitely cut down some other species. Baking them in the oven can't be done, are there any other alternatives? And I said pine barons because it's a very wooded area! I won't be using pine trees

I used to live in that area. Now I'm in FL and I use natural sticks all the time. I usually wash them with a mild soap, let them dry and use them like that. I haven't had any issues with my chams. I also use the bamboo sticks that can be bought in Micheals.

I don't bake mine either, I rinsed them and put them in the cages. A year later and they still look brand new, no mold, holes, cracks, or anything from the humidity or heat.

Back
Top Bottom