Setting up cage

TheMotherChameleon

Established Member
Setting up sticks in my cage is there anything I should know? I have watched Neptune the chameleons video on it I am using zip ties

You want one branch running linear under the uvb about 6 inches below the light. Most people miss that :)

Please share your progress as you set things up! I love seeing how creative others are with their enclosures!

Hi, you could always raise the bulb a little as opposed to lowering the branch, I use a 75w through a habistat dimming thermostat which is set to the required temp, it regulates itself then, also I used zip ties for the branches, I just made sure the excess was cut of flush and left under branch as they can be sharp if not cut off properly 👌

You want one branch running linear under the uvb about 6 inches below the light. Most people miss that :)

Please share your progress as you set things up! I love seeing how creative others are with their enclosures!
Why 6 inches?

Isn’t that about the distance to get a uvb reading of 3? Correct me if I’m wrong.
It totally depends on the UVB fixture type, bulb strength, and material on the top panel of the cage. Total distance to branch is used because the chameleon will rise higher than the branch. So this keeps the cham still within safe exposure levels.

If going through standard aluminum window screen material... If you have a t5HO fixture and a 6% or 5.0 bulb you want a total distance from bottom of fixture to the branch of 8-9 inches to get a 3 UVI. If you have a t5HO fixture and a 12% or 10.0 bulb you want a total distance from bottom of fixture to the branch of 11-12 inches to get a 3 UVI.

If you have a T8 fixture and a 5.0 bulb you want a total distance from bottom of fixture to the branch of 3-4 inches to get a 3 UVI. If you have a T8 fixture and a 10.0 bulb you want a total distance from bottom of fixture to the branch of 5-6 inches to get a 3 UVI.

So if you have either of the T5HO options and only are dropping 6 inches from the light you end up in the very high end of the UVI levels because of where the chameleon rises even higher. THis would put a chameleon above a 6 UVI.

It totally depends on the UVB fixture type, bulb strength, and material on the top panel of the cage. Total distance to branch is used because the chameleon will rise higher than the branch. So this keeps the cham still within safe exposure levels.

If going through standard aluminum window screen material... If you have a t5HO fixture and a 6% or 5.0 bulb you want a total distance from bottom of fixture to the branch of 8-9 inches to get a 3 UVI. If you have a t5HO fixture and a 12% or 10.0 bulb you want a total distance from bottom of fixture to the branch of 11-12 inches to get a 3 UVI.

If you have a T8 fixture and a 5.0 bulb you want a total distance from bottom of fixture to the branch of 3-4 inches to get a 3 UVI. If you have a T8 fixture and a 10.0 bulb you want a total distance from bottom of fixture to the branch of 5-6 inches to get a 3 UVI.

So if you have either of the T5HO options and only are dropping 6 inches from the light you end up in the very high end of the UVI levels because of where the chameleon rises even higher. THis would put a chameleon above a 6 UVI.
Wow you are smart. Thats what I love about this forum, I learn something new every day. Thank you Beman!

Should this be enough branches?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 14
Ok thanks for the advice, I am planning on putting in an umbrella plant and some pothos are there any other plants that you recommended?

I’ve put in a lot of branches and then I can’t hang my plants. Or I hang my plants and now it’s a pain to reach around them to zip tie branches. It’s good to do some big structural branches, then hang plants, and add the medium diameter branches. Varying the size and directions of branches gives it a more natural look but it’s also good for their exercise and feet.

Back
Top Bottom