My very first panther egg has pipped

BFE6D39F-57CA-4169-8E21-D1D7A861C583.jpeg
22C5172E-9648-4258-AD92-65C2932F4EC4.jpeg
Hello little baby:love:...so happy you decided to join us. I'm betting on a girl...waitin on a woman.:LOL:
3 more sweating and this little head popped out...so cool having this experience.

That's great. Thanks for keeping us posted. What temp did you incubate?
I used the closet method So they stayed at 65-70 in the winter and 70-77 temps since a warm spell hit here. It’s just warming up here in PA so I think that’s why it took an extra 78 days from hatch date estimated at the 6 month mark.l which was March 16. I think there may be something to diapause and then warming up. Upstairs where they are there is no ac so it’s really dependent on the outside temps. Also it’s been extremely humid lately inside unless I crank on the window units. So maybe those two factors indicated it was time to come out. Just guessing. There are 24 more eggs from the same mating that are two months behind these. They are actually supposed to be hatching now...so just in case I grabbed two fruit fly cultures today. I’m sure they won’t all hatch I saw some yellow ones when I tried candling a month or so back. Most have veins and the ones that molded and I added athletes foot powder to seem to be changing like the ones about to hatch so who knows. I may be eight with you on a house full of babies to feed soon.

Another question do you supplement your feeders? And with what? I have on hand reptical w/o d3 and repashy calcium plus

I have the supplements on here, you can check it out. I used the closet method as well and mine hatched in 9 months. I actually had one baby closer to 10 months. I have another 12 waiting to hatch from the same breeding due in a month, which will be 9 months as well.

I have the supplements on here, you can check it out. I used the closet method as well and mine hatched in 9 months. I actually had one baby closer to 10 months. I have another 12 waiting to hatch from the same breeding due in a month, which will be 9 months as well.

Wow, so your busy lol. I was thinking the same on the supplement and some outside time. Thank you.

206B0757-E8F7-40B0-9D36-DDC408E83F86.jpeg
What was the pairing?
I have the parents on my page both are Kammerflage Chams. Female was a Nosey Be male was a cross Ambilobe and Ambanja so who knows what they will turn out to be color wise. My male is red bodied green bar and blue stripe. Female was pink and peach when receptive. So far 3 have come out 11 more have pipped.heres the new kid on the block. So tiny. The second one to hatch is blowing out its throat and hissing at me already I’m thinking female as her mother always did the same. I got the mom at a year and she only lived one more year after that. Her clutches took a huge toll her first couple infertile clutches were 28 and 29 eggs a couple months apart and started 3 months after I got her. so I only mated her once. Glad I did now. 20 look like they will hatch out of this group.

View attachment 207275
I have the parents on my page both are Kammerflage Chams. Female was a Nosey Be male was a cross Ambilobe and Ambanja so who knows what they will turn out to be color wise. My male is red bodied green bar and blue stripe. Female was pink and peach when receptive. So far 3 have come out 11 more have pipped.heres the new kid on the block. So tiny. The second one to hatch is blowing out its throat and hissing at me already I’m thinking female as her mother always did the same. I got the mom at a year and she only lived one more year after that. Her clutches took a huge toll her first couple infertile clutches were 28 and 29 eggs a couple months apart and started 3 months after I got her. so I only mated her once. Glad I did now. 20 look like they will hatch out of this group.

I'm glad you got a fertile clutch. From my understanding the first clutch from a virgin chameleon is hit or miss. Good luck with the babies, I can't wait to see how they turn out. How many babies are you keeping together in the tub? It would be a good idea to do half and half in two separate tubs. Otherwise the small babies can get bullied and will die of dehydration and starvation.

I'm glad you got a fertile clutch. From my understanding the first clutch from a virgin chameleon is hit or miss. Good luck with the babies, I can't wait to see how they turn out. How many babies are you keeping together in the tub? It would be a good idea to do half and half in two separate tubs. Otherwise the small babies can get bullied and will die of dehydration and starvation.
Well then I am glad too she was my girl I cried for a week. I was against breeding as I feared it would shorten her lifespan. But after her first unfertile clutches I figured we may as well try it once. She was such a cute girl. Right now I only have 4 babies in one bin I set up a second because I noticed size differences so I think I am going to group the bigger ones together and the smaller ones separated. I have 11 out of 17 eggs doing something a few appear to be yellow inside but they didn’t shrivel up so I will just leave them alone if they don’t hatch. Number four came out this evening and is currently hanging upside down on a leaf number two went and curled up next to it when I turned out the lights. It is bigger than the other 3 so I may transfer it out in the morning. I’m using numbers as I don’t want to get attached and lose one. Silly. I hope all your babies are good. They look good on the video. My pinheads arrive tomorrow so will be adding them to the feedings. Yours look so eager when you got that cup ready lol. I haven’t seen anyone eat but then I’m not hovering a lot and the fruit flies are left in there. I’m hoping the crickets get some of them eating where I can actually watch them eat.

Well then I am glad too she was my girl I cried for a week. I was against breeding as I feared it would shorten her lifespan. But after her first unfertile clutches I figured we may as well try it once. She was such a cute girl. Right now I only have 4 babies in one bin I set up a second because I noticed size differences so I think I am going to group the bigger ones together and the smaller ones separated. I have 11 out of 17 eggs doing something a few appear to be yellow inside but they didn’t shrivel up so I will just leave them alone if they don’t hatch. Number four came out this evening and is currently hanging upside down on a leaf number two went and curled up next to it when I turned out the lights. It is bigger than the other 3 so I may transfer it out in the morning. I’m using numbers as I don’t want to get attached and lose one. Silly. I hope all your babies are good. They look good on the video. My pinheads arrive tomorrow so will be adding them to the feedings. Yours look so eager when you got that cup ready lol. I haven’t seen anyone eat but then I’m not hovering a lot and the fruit flies are left in there. I’m hoping the crickets get some of them eating where I can actually watch them eat.

Sorry to tell you but breeding will shorten the lifespan of the females. It takes a lot more out of them to carry fertile eggs then infertile ones, but look how cute those babies are.
Its good that you leave the eggs alone. I had one that I thought for sure wasn't going to make it and even put it in a different tub because I didn't want the newly hatched one climbing on it and it still hatched. I even had one hatch close to 10 months. So you never know.
I didn't see mine eat for the longest time. As long as they are pooping, they are eating. Mine are doing a lot better now that I separated the smaller ones. I ended up losing a few but now I know better.

I love watching these little dudes hatch. I'd like to try it one day, but I'm going to give it a year with my male before I even think of trying to raise babies. I'll live vicariously through you all until then. lol

I love watching these little dudes hatch. I'd like to try it one day, but I'm going to give it a year with my male before I even think of trying to raise babies. I'll live vicariously through you all until then. lol
Yes I certainly wouldn’t jump into breeding. My take on it so far is that it’s amazing and a ton of research and work. You worry over those eggs for 9 months or more and then when they start to hatch you worry some more and it just continues. My Boys are a cake walk compared to my female and the babies. All eggs have hatched but one and I now have them in two bins I am about to go make 3 since I just saw a fight on my last round of hand misting. Females don’t live as long as the males mine only made it two years and I am really not sure why other than no matter what I could not slow down her production of clutches. I knew from the start breeding females takes away from their general life span. That is why we did the one time mating. 20 babies later I now have at least five that hiss at me like my sweet gal did and seem to be like momma so that’s a plus. Lol. I posted the pic of my two not getting along. The red throat on the one baby blows my mind since none of the rest display any color.

Attachments

• C307658D-274B-49A1-BE94-CF69E147647A.jpeg
    C307658D-274B-49A1-BE94-CF69E147647A.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 149
  • E3AA7E13-4094-41B8-9BE2-871C10E9443F.jpeg
    E3AA7E13-4094-41B8-9BE2-871C10E9443F.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 124
Sorry to tell you but breeding will shorten the lifespan of the females. It takes a lot more out of them to carry fertile eggs then infertile ones, but look how cute those babies are.
Its good that you leave the eggs alone. I had one that I thought for sure wasn't going to make it and even put it in a different tub because I didn't want the newly hatched one climbing on it and it still hatched. I even had one hatch close to 10 months. So you never know.
I didn't see mine eat for the longest time. As long as they are pooping, they are eating. Mine are doing a lot better now that I separated the smaller ones. I ended up losing a few but now I know better.
It seems all mine are the same size minus two so I am going to end up with 3 bins I think just so I can see them all eat better. Not all are eating yet as we have continued to hatch a few a day for the week into the weekend with just one little egg left. Do any of yours have color? I have some that are pinkish some show bars like stripes of black only and there is one that will blow its throat out at me every time I get too close bright red. It’s brilliant! That may be a keeper. Guessing it’s a male. Finnly is the grand son of a Cham called worm tongue. He was a spectacular red bodied guy. I was thinking I basically melded the whole lot with this pairing of a Nosey Be Queen and the Finster being ambanja/ambilobe if either had a sambava cousin jackpot lol. This is a ton of work but I love these little panther babies. I think I may hold a female for future breeding with my other male. It would be a shame to let him be the last of his line. He’s a rainbow of yellow orange blue green and red it’s fantastic. I now see why so many keepers turn breeders. If not for just always having a chameleon of your own.

Yes I certainly wouldn’t jump into breeding. My take on it so far is that it’s amazing and a ton of research and work. You worry over those eggs for 9 months or more and then when they start to hatch you worry some more and it just continues. My Boys are a cake walk compared to my female and the babies. All eggs have hatched but one and I now have them in two bins I am about to go make 3 since I just saw a fight on my last round of hand misting. Females don’t live as long as the males mine only made it two years and I am really not sure why other than no matter what I could not slow down her production of clutches. I knew from the start breeding females takes away from their general life span. That is why we did the one time mating. 20 babies later I now have at least five that hiss at me like my sweet gal did and seem to be like momma so that’s a plus. Lol. I posted the pic of my two not getting along. The red throat on the one baby blows my mind since none of the rest display any color.
Oh my goodness you have some feisty ones!! They evidently were born survivors.

Good idea. I did the same thing. I waited a year before I got a female and tried breeding.

ATTACH]207622[/ATTACH]
It seems all mine are the same size minus two so I am going to end up with 3 bins I think just so I can see them all eat better. Not all are eating yet as we have continued to hatch a few a day for the week into the weekend with just one little egg left. Do any of yours have color? I have some that are pinkish some show bars like stripes of black only and there is one that will blow its throat out at me every time I get too close bright red. It’s brilliant! That may be a keeper. Guessing it’s a male. Finnly is the grand son of a Cham called worm tongue. He was a spectacular red bodied guy. I was thinking I basically melded the whole lot with this pairing of a Nosey Be Queen and the Finster being ambanja/ambilobe if either had a sambava cousin jackpot lol. This is a ton of work but I love these little panther babies. I think I may hold a female for future breeding with my other male. It would be a shame to let him be the last of his line. He’s a rainbow of yellow orange blue green and red it’s fantastic. I now see why so many keepers turn breeders. If not for just always having a chameleon of your own.
They will all start out pretty close in size but its a good idea to get a few bins going. I ended up losing a few because I didn't do that. I could see different patterns in mine, they are about a month and a half old now. I have a few I'm going to hold back. This is one of my big guys next to a sibling. I'm glad I bred them myself, what an awesome experience.

Attachments

• 20180611_193142.jpg
    20180611_193142.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 104
ATTACH]207622[/ATTACH]
They will all start out pretty close in size but its a good idea to get a few bins going. I ended up losing a few because I didn't do that. I could see different patterns in mine, they are about a month and a half old now. I have a few I'm going to hold back. This is one of my big guys next to a sibling. I'm glad I bred them myself, what an awesome experience.
Yes I finally see survival of the fittest in action. It’s crazy how they try to throw each other off a branch and walk over top the other. Sorry you lost some, it’s all about learning from experience. The next few weeks will tell for me. I’m also glad for the experience to witness such amazing animals from birth. With my male being a cross I was hesitant since so many frown on the breeding of cross Chams but I have so many people who want one I knew it wasn’t about selling them so I didn’t really care. Those faces! I love those little panther faces. That’s some chameleon cuteness you have going! So big already. I took your advice after buying pinheads twice now I have adults coming to breed. Half my pinheads don’t make the trip alive and the place sends me a second order to replace them and the same thing so I think it’s better to skip all that and save some cash. The fruit flies seem to get past my box tape and I just think they are too fast for the littles. I put them in a deli cup with banana and stick a skewer into that and set it in the enclosure so the slower ones can just nab them off the stick as they crawl up. I just keep filling it up and then offer crickets a few times a day. At least that way I know they have plenty. I told the kids at least I won’t be the crazy cat lady with all my reptile companions lol.

Back
Top Bottom