My veiled chameleon not eating and scratching at the bottom of the cage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Awingard, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Awingard

Awingard New Member

My veiled chameleon have been at the bottom of the cage scratching at it for almost a week and she is showing signs of laying eggs . She has also been staying brown and not changing colors.

Attached Files:

2. Awingard

Awingard New Member

Does any one know why she is doing this?

3. Tiosk

Tiosk Member

Is she eating?

4. dshuld

dshuld Chameleon Enthusiast

Does she have a lay bin? She is most likely trying to dig a tunnel to lay eggs. If she doesn't get one set up asap so she doesn't become egg bound.

Rogue, Graves923, jannb and 1 other person like this.
  5. dshuld

Just your other thread. @jannb is one of the best when it comes to veiled husbandry on this site. I'd highly suggest following her advise on the other thread.

Kristen Wilkins and Graves923 like this.
  6. Essergra

Essergra New Member

7. Awingard

Awingard New Member

I have a laying bin I put sand and co co fiber in it but my veiled chameleon has not toutched it yet

Attached Files:

8. Tiosk

Tiosk Member

Did you put water in?

9. dshuld

Again, I strongly suggest following @jannb advise from the other thread. I'm pretty she mentioned that looks to be a bit small for a veiled lay bin. What size plant pot is it?

Kristen Wilkins and Graves923 like this.
  10. Essergra

Essergra New Member

Yeah, follow that thread. I'm unsure about it at this point. Good luck!

11. dshuld

It's ok to be unsure :). We were all unsure at one point or another. Even some of the long time keepers get unsure sometimes ;). I'm unsure of a lot of veiled specific keeping since I have panthers. How ever, Jann has been keeping and breeding them for yyyyeeeaaarrrrs. So she one that if she steps in and says something to help it is well worth learning from her most definitely.

Kristen Wilkins likes this.
  12. Kristen Wilkins

Kristen Wilkins Chameleon Enthusiast

Hello @Awingard is your girl closing her eyes ? How long has she been doing this for ? Do you have a good vet ? @jannb ? Can you chime in ?

dshuld likes this.
  13. dshuld

@Kristen Wilkins Jann did chime in on the other thread about this. I haven't checked the other one since yesterday though. Jann advised the plant pot looked to small and linked to the chamalot chams laybin vid.

14. Kristen Wilkins

Kristen Wilkins Chameleon Enthusiast

Excellent :D .