My Veiled Chameleon is very agressive how can I prevent this

i have a 5-6 month old veiled chameleon when I try to grab it it hisses and looks like it will bite it also puffs up and gets angry how can I prevent this?

I already gave you the answer in this thread...."When you put your hand around them that makes them upset and they hiss and bite"....so quit putting your hand around him!!!!!!
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ed-chameleon-hisses-when-i-pick-it-up.161869/

You need to let him get used to you in a non threatening way. Every time you make him hiss at you your reinforcing his fear of you. You need to make it so he trusts you.

Last edited:
Have you tried doing any hand feeding with tongs. Chameleons react positively to this and they are all about TRUST. Be patient and persistent

If you got him a couple weeks ago I wouldn't handle it AT ALL.. you need to let it ajust to its environment.. please listen to the people on here or you will end up stressing it out more and it will associate you with stress and fear. And don't grab it either if and when you do take it out after letting it ajust for a few more weeks AT LEAST.. put your finger under its chin and let it climb on your hand all the way don't pull it out when it starts to climb on you you never want to just grab it and take it out either you could hurt your chameleon. @kinyonga is VERY knowledgeable so please take the advice given.

If you got him a couple weeks ago I wouldn't handle it AT ALL.. you need to let it ajust to its environment.. please listen to the people on here or you will end up stressing it out more and it will associate you with stress and fear. And don't grab it either if and when you do take it out after letting it ajust for a few more weeks AT LEAST.. put your finger under its chin and let it climb on your hand all the way don't pull it out when it starts to climb on you you never want to just grab it and take it out either you could hurt your chameleon. @kinyonga is VERY knowledgeable so please take the advice given.
Ok thanks I got it dec 26 can I hold it now

They are not a hold and pet cuddling animal so I don't know why your needed to get it out so much... they are more of an observe and admire from a distance kind of pet.. when I got my first Cham I didn't even look at him for the first week you need to let him/ her get used to its home and beyond the enclosure..

You never grab a chameleon but let him come out on his own terms. Unfortunately, you got a male veiled which are known to never take to people although there are exceptions. He may very well never want anything to do with you or he could eventually age and mellow out. But you need to respect his space regardless.

No I wouldn't your being very impatient with this and I'm questioning if you have done any research at all.. just leave hIm alone for a month then maybe he will come around.. stress will kill it so please just stop messing with him..

They are not a hold and pet cuddling animal so I don't know why your needed to get it out so much... they are more of an observe and admire from a distance kind of pet.. when I got my first Cham I didn't even look at him for the first week you need to let him/ her get used to its home and beyond the enclosure..
ok I have done lots of research I am just worried about the anger

if you give them space, time and patience. They should come around eventually. One of the best ways to gain trust is with FOOD

ok I have done lots of research I am just worried about the anger
I do know it’s not a handle pet u touch every day I just don’t want it to sit in the cage and get mean and never wanted to be held

You should know then that you should not be sticking your hands in his home all the time and trying to GRAB him.. stop trying to mess with him just leave him alone and chameleons are known to be agressive just let him ajust and be patient

Why do you need to get him out right now??

Give him some space....feed him....water him...if you have to put your hand in the cage move slowly....let him get used to your presence without you bothering/scaring him..don't poke your finger at him or try to touch him. Let him realize that you are not going to hurt him. Once he is used to you and is more relaxed try putting an insect on your hand and slowly holding it in front of him. If he accepts that... slowly try to slide your fingers in front of his chin so he will maybe move onto your hand. One step at a time...you have to give him a feeling that you're not going to hurt him and don't scare him by fast movements.

Back
Top Bottom