My two new rescues! (pics)

Whammo72

Yesterday morning we purchased a new subadult leopard gecko from craigslist. When we got there it was severely emaciated! They had purchased it for a Christmas gift for their daughter and she never took care of it of course.

The second is an approximately 10 year old female ornate box turtle we found in the middle of a busy road on our way to church. It had been hit by a car, apparently just clipped on the back side. Of course when we saw it we pulled over to rescue it from the road and found it bleeding, plastron slightly cracked in two places and a large chunk of meat off one hind foot where his shell smashed down on it. Just so happens we carry a large critter keeper in the car hehe. On our way home after church we found someone giving away a guinea pig cage with 36 x18inch floor dimensions. PERFECT for rehabilitation! We got him home and cleaned him up and disinfected his wounds with a hydrogen peroxide solution and neosporin. She is doing very well and wounds look very clean now. NOMMING down nightcrawlers too.

Thought you all might enjoy some pics!

IMG_5526-1.jpg

IMG_5527.jpg

IMG_5546.jpg

IMG_5547.jpg

IMG_5549.jpg

You are truly a hero to these two creatures. How lucky that turtle was that you came along when you did. Keep us posted on their progress.

Looks like a pretty little ornate box turtle! I have two cb ornate babies. What color are the eyes? That's how you sex them. If you plan on releasing it later make sure you do it in the same place you found it. Studies have shown that box turtles are very territorial and releasing them into an unfamiliar place, even an ideal one, causes them to wander aimlessly looking for their old territory for months and it often causes them to wander onto roads or other unsafe places. You have to do a soft release (keeping them penned in a place for 6 months before removing the walls to establish new territory) to be successful in relocating. Unfortunately I only found out about this somewhat recently and it makes me feel bad about all my rescues that I found and released in "better" areas. Hopefully they didn't meet their end due to my good intentions...

Looks like a pretty little ornate box turtle! I have two cb ornate babies. What color are the eyes? That's how you sex them. If you plan on releasing it later make sure you do it in the same place you found it. Studies have shown that box turtles are very territorial and releasing them into an unfamiliar place, even an ideal one, causes them to wander aimlessly looking for their old territory for months and it often causes them to wander onto roads or other unsafe places. You have to do a soft release (keeping them penned in a place for 6 months before removing the walls to establish new territory) to be successful in relocating. Unfortunately I only found out about this somewhat recently and it makes me feel bad about all my rescues that I found and released in "better" areas. Hopefully they didn't meet their end due to my good intentions...

Yeah her eyes are not red and the plastron is not concave, its flat. :)

I will just say thanks for both the animals you have taken in. I am still trying to stop taking rescues, just took another beardie, because it takes such a toll on a softie like me to lose one. I hope your both do great.

I love all types of turtles. c: To get the best source of info on turtles try joining TurtleForums.com they have some amazing people just like ChameleonForums.com. c:

Update

Thought I would post an update. The Box turtle healed beautifully and was released the male leopard gecko is now large, plump and a gorgeous High Yellow addition to my colony, very different then the skinny grey he was when I got him!

nice job. id like to see more pics of the leo. the green coloring and the webbing at the back of the head makes it look like a leucistic.

nice job. id like to see more pics of the leo. the green coloring and the webbing at the back of the head makes it look like a leucistic.

I agree. it is. Its not the most beautiful but its the most paternless overall of all my leo's.

Back
Top Bottom