New owners of baby veiled, needing some advice

MadsCole&SK

Hi!!
So, when my boyfriend and I decided to get our first pet together, a veiled chameleon seemed like a great idea! I've had an iguana before so in my mind I thought it would be similar. Welp, was I wrong. The petco did give us some good information, however we got a lot of bad information as well. Or maybe not bad, but misinformed. After reading intensely on this forum we figured out everything we were doing wrong for our little SK(baby veiled) and what we needed to change. It's only been 3 days, but I want to give this little soul the best life possible. So I'll apologize for the novel Cole and I have created lol, but we're needing some guidance for our lil baby. I now know to do months of research before doing this again. Lol. We are already in love with our little SK. I'll attach pictures for references.

Chameleon Info:
* Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, the store couldn't tell us the sex because of how young they are, I'm thinking it's a female. Also, they couldn't tell us the exact age, some what frustrating but I'll add photos so hopefully we can get an idea!! He's about the size of my pointer finger, maybe a little longer. Always a bright green color, sometimes dark green. Does have darker green spots or stripes that are showing up now. We've had the lil baby for 3 days now. I should have done way more research before hand, but at least we're getting everything perfect now.
* Handling - If little SK decides he wants to come to us we do try to handle him every day for a little bit, but if SK doesn't want to, we don't force him. We did take him outside in the sun today while I cleaned his cage, afterwards he was extremely active, running around his cage and our arms and what not lol.
* Feeding - So, the pet store told us that he ate mealworms and crickets, but can eat mealworms mainly. After all of my research I found out that this was a terrible idea lol. So we picked up a large cricket container and crickets as well as some wax worms. The wax worms looked a little too big for SK to eat right now, so I'm too nervous to introduce them. We HAD been feeding him mealworms about 6 in the morning(9am-10pm) and 6 in the afternoon(4pm-5pm) Now that we have crickets we're going to do the same schedule but with them. Planning on gutloading with fruits and veggies. Kale, red bell pepper, little bits of fruit maybe once a couple weeks.
* Supplements - We were also told that calcium with vitamin D3 could be sprinkled on the food once out of the two feeding times. I have a good feeling that this is NOT the correct way.
* Watering - We have a big dripper that is constantly dripping through outage day. We also mist 4 times a day for 4 minutes with warm water. I see our little dude drinking at least a couple times a day.
* Fecal Description SK has not been tested, but his droppings are brown. Some has white, but after doing research I realized that that could be the urine. Still kinda concerned.
* History - We unfortunately don't know a lot of SK's history, but the lil guy is very active and runs around a ton. Is always a bright green color or dark green. Has some darker green spots or stripes occasionally. Really really likes to be on the sides of his cage or ceiling sometimes. Very active after the 3rd day.

Cage Info:
* Cage Type - our cage is screened in Reptibreeze, 16x16x30
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? We have a zoomed uvb light and a daylight build right now. We turn the lights on around 7:45-8am and then around 7:30PM I turn the heat lamp off, after 30 minutes I then turn the UVB light off. I read somewhere that this helps them realize it's nighttime, after the second day of this doing this SK gets the idea and climbs into his sleeping spot.
* Temperature - I have a thermometer in the top half of the cage and the bottom. The bottom averages out at 65-75F and the top is 75-80F. The overnight times haven't gone below 60, I get really worried about temps.
* Humidity - Humidity averages at 45-80, I'm worried that this may be too drastic, but it's always after I mist that his cage is 80. We mist and have a dripper. I have a humidity gage in the top half of the cage.
* Plants - We didn't have any plants other than fake ones for the first 3 days. But after watching SK and seeing him try to bite his fake plants, we went and bought a Philo. Which I think is short for Philodendron, which I heard was very good!
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Right now the only place for the cage is in my room. SK is on the same wall as an air vent but on the complete other side, so not right next to it. We're (my boyfriend and I) in my room frequently just to hang out and be around SK, keep an eye on things. I do have the air vent shut and have things covering it so my room isn't freezing. The top of the cage is about 4 feet off the bottom of the floor, I'm thinking it should be higher up. But we always sit on the ground, so SK is above us or about eye level.
* Location - We're in Olympia, WA.

Current Problem - So! I have a ton of questions, because I thought Cole and I were prepared when going to rescue the little guy from petco. Buuut, upon reading this amazing forum, I realized I was so wrong about so much. And we didn't prepare properly. Which I'm ashamed of, but Cole and I are trying to do the most for little SK, so he's happy and healthy. I'll list all of my questions and hopefully we can get some answers for little SK.

•very worrried about temps, I'm unsure of if it's warm enough, or if the temps are dropping too much or not enough.
•I have a large window in my room and I'm curious if we should open my blinds so SK can get sunlight, the cage is on the other side of the room, but the sunlight does fill up the room pretty well.
•should we take him outside when it's warm, so he can get more natural vitamins for the sun, if so, how often? And for how long?
•if temps are too low, what solution should we use so the little screened in home is warmer?
•should we put a draining system in? If the water is dripping into the live plants is a draining system necessary??
•if we have a UVB, and a daylight heating lamp, should we get another one for a "basking" light? Little SK likes to be on the ceiling sometimes so I'm very concerned with him getting burned.
* is it normal for little veiled to hang for the Ceiling? It gives me a heart attack every time and I always creep on SK to make sure he doesn't fall.
* Occasionally I can see SK's little ribs, and that concerns me a lot. Should we feed him more? But than should overfeeding be a concern?
* If we are feeding SK, small crickets, fruits and vegs, and wax worms, what kind of ratio should it be? One thing one day then the next mix it up? Or wax worms in the morning, crickets in the afternoon? Leaves to munch on whenever?
* Yesterday it looked like SK was gasping for air..... and being the concerned "mom" I am I immediately freaked out. He hasn't done it since, so should we be concerned?
* Crickets released in cage? Or feeder cup?
* i have a diffuser, and was wondering if we should keep that running next to SK cage to help the humidity?

Attachments

• IMG_1574.JPG
    IMG_1574.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1550.PNG
    IMG_1550.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1573.JPG
    IMG_1573.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 145
•very worrried about temps, I'm unsure of if it's warm enough, or if the temps are dropping too much or not enough.
•I have a large window in my room and I'm curious if we should open my blinds so SK can get sunlight, the cage is on the other side of the room, but the sunlight does fill up the room pretty well.
•should we take him outside when it's warm, so he can get more natural vitamins for the sun, if so, how often? And for how long?
•if temps are too low, what solution should we use so the little screened in home is warmer?
•should we put a draining system in? If the water is dripping into the live plants is a draining system necessary??
•if we have a UVB, and a daylight heating lamp, should we get another one for a "basking" light? Little SK likes to be on the ceiling sometimes so I'm very concerned with him getting burned.
* is it normal for little veiled to hang for the Ceiling? It gives me a heart attack every time and I always creep on SK to make sure he doesn't fall.
* Occasionally I can see SK's little ribs, and that concerns me a lot. Should we feed him more? But than should overfeeding be a concern?
* If we are feeding SK, small crickets, fruits and vegs, and wax worms, what kind of ratio should it be? One thing one day then the next mix it up? Or wax worms in the morning, crickets in the afternoon? Leaves to munch on whenever?
* Yesterday it looked like SK was gasping for air..... and being the concerned "mom" I am I immediately freaked out. He hasn't done it since, so should we be concerned?
* Crickets released in cage? Or feeder cup?
* i have a diffuser, and was wondering if we should keep that running next to SK cage to help the humidity?
1. UVB from sunlight will not filter through glass, it would only serve to warm the cage. 2 Natural, unfiltered sunlight is a great thing, but only if the cham will permit you to take him out. Always supervise. 3. Refer to Q1, try using a heat bulb, there are many ways, just make sure the cham cannot get burned. 4. Just drill holes in the bottom of the cage and put a container of some sort under it. 5. As long as the bulbs produce UVB, UVA, and the correct amount of heat, no other bulbs are needed. 6. Yes, just make sure he cant get burned, the can hang on to anything. 7. You can't really overfeed a baby, but I've heard veilds don't have a feeling that tells them they've eaten enough. 8. Feed crickets as a staple and put them in when he wakes up or as early as possible. Waxworms should only be fed on occasion. 9. Chams can yawn, but watch him for gaping, it could be a sign of URI. 10. Depends on size of cage 11. Misting should keep the humidity at the ideal levels

I'll also fill out the help thing the way it should be and link you to the veiled caresheet on this forum
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled
  • Handling - Depends
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Should be varied feeders that are gutloaded well. What amount? depends. What is the schedule? Every day for a juvenile How are you gut-loading your feeders? Healthy gutload things like Collard greens, butternut squash, kale
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? You can either use calcium without d3 every day, calcium w/ d3 every 2 weeks, multivitamin every 2 weeks, or just use Repashy Calcium Plus with every feeding, but this hasn't been extensively tested on how well it works (I've used it for 3 months now without any problem with a growing veiled)
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Should use mister and maybe a dripper How often and how long to you mist? Depends Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Should be tested for parasites, feces should have a white urate and a non runny brown feces
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Juvenile veiled- 18x18x36, 2'x2'x4' if they have a feeder cup, screen is recommended for beginners.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Just use a uvb bulb and a heat bulb, Ie Reptisun 5.0 tube + basking lamp (60-75w). Lighting schedule should roughly mimic a normal day/night sequence, obviously
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? veileds can take temp drops but that doesn't mean that you should do them. Basking should be around 82 F for a juvenile, 72-78 ambient.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Veileds need 40-70% humidity, use a hygrometer
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos, Dracaena, Ficus etc should work, just check to make sure the plants are safe for chams, because veilds eat plants
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Should be in a low traffic area, with the basking spot being about 5'8" from the floor or higher. Vents make it difficult to maintain higher temps and humidity
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Here is the link to the veiled caresheet and general care for all chams
Good luck in the future!

*Just a heads up, I am making this late at night and off of my own memory so some information could be wrong*

•very worrried about temps, I'm unsure of if it's warm enough, or if the temps are dropping too much or not enough. Check the care guides on here
•I have a large window in my room and I'm curious if we should open my blinds so SK can get sunlight, the cage is on the other side of the room, but the sunlight does fill up the room pretty well. It should be fine however don't rely on it being the source of UVB because UVB doesn't pass through glass. Make sure you have good UVB Bulbs.
•should we take him outside when it's warm, so he can get more natural vitamins for the sun, if so, how often? And for how long? Let him settle in for a while and then that is up to you and how he acts. Get him a large dense plant to get on while outside under your supervision.
•if temps are too low, what solution should we use so the little screened in home is warmer? Just ensure that basking location is at proper temps. The enclosure should have a heat gradient with the basking light allowing the baby to regulate temperature. (When checking the care guides on here make sure that if baby information is offered you use that)
•should we put a draining system in? If the water is dripping into the live plants is a draining system necessary?? (Misting should make a little water on the bottom. The draining system is up to you.
•if we have a UVB, and a daylight heating lamp, should we get another one for a "basking" light? Little SK likes to be on the ceiling sometimes so I'm very concerned with him getting burned. As long as the daylight bulb provides heat for him at sufficient temps it should be fine. Make sure the top of the cage doesn't get too hot also just as a safety.
* is it normal for little veiled to hang for the Ceiling? It gives me a heart attack every time and I always creep on SK to make sure he doesn't fall. Some act weird and do this. It may be the basking temp is too low, his personality or possibly another issue.
* Occasionally I can see SK's little ribs, and that concerns me a lot. Should we feed him more? But than should overfeeding be a concern? No ribs should be slightly visible on chameleons at times. (The picture given shows SK looking fine)
* If we are feeding SK, small crickets, fruits and vegs, and wax worms, what kind of ratio should it be? One thing one day then the next mix it up? Or wax worms in the morning, crickets in the afternoon? Leaves to munch on whenever? Wax worms should only be a treat. They are nutritionally insufficient and are known as "crack" for chameleons. Some have found that if their cham is fed these too often they begin rejecting other food sources.
* Yesterday it looked like SK was gasping for air..... and being the concerned "mom" I am I immediately freaked out. He hasn't done it since, so should we be concerned? If this was during basking this is normal. Just a form of regulating body temperature. This also may have been caused by your chameleon being scared.
* Crickets released in cage? Or feeder cup? Up to you. If released it allows for hunting and keeps them entertained. If cup fed you are able to monitor food consumption. If you are free range feeding make sure all crickets are removed before night as crickets can bite the chameleon.
* i have a diffuser, and was wondering if we should keep that running next to SK cage to help the humidity? If you mean a humidifier that is a touchy subject. If you wish to use it make sure it is a cool mist humidifier (It should output cool fog). This won't replace mistings and if used too often it can lead to respiratory infections.

Now to address some of your other concerns (Outside of concerns answered in care sheets)

Female or Male -
If you want us to identify the sex of your chameleon you need to supply us with an image of the backside of one of the rear feet. They will have a numb there if it is a male and non or very small if it is a female. This applies to only veiled chameleons at any age.
Temps - Just noticed you noted your temps for your cage. Ambient of 70ish is good and night temps can drop to anything above 60. A night drop is healthy. (If it makes you feel any better people have had their chameleons outside in low 50's.
Height of cage - You said that you are usually sitting on the ground so the cage top is always above you. That is a good thing however you aren't the reason they are supposed to be high up. It is the ground height. They don't feel safe if they are that close to the ground.

Resources

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
Make sure to search up your question on here and find multiple sources.

Sorry to have to stop helping but I need to go to bed.

Look at the heels to tell the sex. If there's a spur there it's male...
http://web.archive.org/web/20060819...m.com/html/husbandry/glossary/tarsalspur.html

Mealworms are not recommended to use to feed the chameleon a lot of. Crickets are a good staple for young chameleons since they are readily available and easy to guload,/feed but variety is always good. Make sure they are the right size for your chameleon. Mist people say the size of the space between the eyes of the chameleon as a guide line.

I feed/gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms a wide variety of veggies and greens such as dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc and a little fruit such as melon, berries, apples, pears. These same things can be offered to your chameleon when it's a little older...cut into appropriate sized pieces.

Regarding supplements...its recommended that you dust the insects just before feeding them to the chameleon with a phosphorous-free calcium powder at almost every feeding. This helps to make up for the usually poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous found in most feeder insects.

It's recommended that you dust twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it and leaving it to get the rest of it from its exposure to the UVB light. D3 from supplements builds up in the system and causes health ussues but D3 produced from exposure to the UVB won't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the UVB at will.

It's also recommended that you dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A. PrOformed sources of vitamin A won't build up in the system like prEformed sources will and this leaves you to decide when/if your chameleon needs some prEformed or not.

Appropriate temperatures aid in digestion and so play a part in nutrient absorption. For a baby veiled the basking temperature should be in the low 80's. I recommend using live well washed non-toxic plants for a veiled because they nibble on the plants.

If it's a female when it reaches sexual maturity (gets mustard yellow splotches on it) it will need a place to dig to lay eggs in the cage. If you don't provide a site for this the chameleon could die eggbound. Veiled chameleon females can produce eggs without having mated.

You could use some more greenery in the too portion of the cage but make sure the chameleon cannot burn itself on the lights or by sitting too close to them. Hold your hand under the lights inside the cage...if you have to move your hand the lights are too close to the cage.

I hope this helps!

Thank you everyone so much! SK loved the crickets this morning and seems very active when hunting. Just a happy lil dude. We'll make all the changes that everyone suggested and definitely add more greenery to the cage.

Back
Top Bottom