My teenager brought home a chameleon...

and I think we are going to need to rehome it.

We had a bearded dragon for 8 years and I said I would never again have a reptile. I'm a dog type of person. However, I just cannot own a pet and not take good care of it.

She had it in a tank. I did a bit of research and decided that was a bad idea. I went to the local reptile store (been in business in our city for 25+ years). I spent a very large sum of money on an XL tank (see pics), different bigger lights (red ones, which now I see is incorrect), all fake plants (recommended by the business owner), fake vines, etc. etc. etc. I bought a reptirain machine, but then also a fogger/mister thing.

I started reading this forum as well as Reddit---and I am so incredibly overwhelmed with all that we have been doing wrong, I think the little bugger is a girl, not a boy, I think it has a broken rib but I promise nothing like that happened on our watch (I just saw a bump on him/her and read that bumps are broken ribs)...anway, I think everything needs to be redone anyway with live plants...

I do not want him/her going to another ignorant owner. This little bugger deserves a stable, good, healthy life with humans that are prepared to take good care of him/her. How do I vet that person out? Is there a site for experienced reptile owners that want a new veiled chameleon?

I would love any and all advice. Thanks for listening!

From a stressed out new crappy but trying "owner".

I'm attaching pics of reptile, cage, supplements, watering and lighting. We feed the bugger superworms and crickets.

Attachments

• IMG_7371.JPG
    IMG_7371.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_7381.JPG
    IMG_7381.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_7370.JPG
    IMG_7370.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_7366.JPG
    IMG_7366.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_7372.JPG
    IMG_7372.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_7378.JPG
    IMG_7378.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_7365.JPG
    IMG_7365.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_7380.JPG
    IMG_7380.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 146
and I think we are going to need to rehome it.

We had a bearded dragon for 8 years and I said I would never again have a reptile. I'm a dog type of person. However, I just cannot own a pet and not take good care of it.

She had it in a tank. I did a bit of research and decided that was a bad idea. I went to the local reptile store (been in business in our city for 25+ years). I spent a very large sum of money on an XL tank (see pics), different bigger lights (red ones, which now I see is incorrect), all fake plants (recommended by the business owner), fake vines, etc. etc. etc. I bought a reptirain machine, but then also a fogger/mister thing.

I started reading this forum as well as Reddit---and I am so incredibly overwhelmed with all that we have been doing wrong, I think the little bugger is a girl, not a boy, I think it has a broken rib but I promise nothing like that happened on our watch (I just saw a bump on him/her and read that bumps are broken ribs)...anway, I think everything needs to be redone anyway with live plants...

I do not want him/her going to another ignorant owner. This little bugger deserves a stable, good, healthy life with humans that are prepared to take good care of him/her. How do I vet that person out? Is there a site for experienced reptile owners that want a new veiled chameleon?

I would love any and all advice. Thanks for listening!

From a stressed out new crappy but trying "owner".

I'm attaching pics of reptile, cage, supplements, watering and lighting. We feed the bugger superworms and crickets.
Yes you have a girl... Your actually off to a better start then others we have seen. Unfortunately finding chameleons homes with owners that actually know what they are doing is extremely hard. Most people do not take the time to learn or provide what they need. You could try within the forum posting where you live and that your looking to rehome her. But chances are slim even with that.

If you want thorough feedback fill this out with detail and we can help. Just copy and paste into your reply.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Welcome to the group. From the pictures you have provided it's looks like you're off to a good start. If you are to keep it I would suggest adding live plants instead of the plastic. Don't beat yourself up. :) You're doing the right thing coming here.
Thank you, I appreciate the positive support. It doesn't look like there are a bunch of people who know what they're doing that will want another veiled chameleon. SO much to read. SO much to try and figure out with temperature/misting/etc. Holy holy smokes. I wish pet stores would not just sell reptiles willy nilly. I will look up live plants. I will probably be annoying asking questions that are already answered somewhere else...Dang teenagers, I hope this teaches my kids not to do this on their own!

Thank you, I appreciate the positive support. It doesn't look like there are a bunch of people who know what they're doing that will want another veiled chameleon. SO much to read. SO much to try and figure out with temperature/misting/etc. Holy holy smokes. I wish pet stores would not just sell reptiles willy nilly. I will look up live plants. I will probably be annoying asking questions that are already answered somewhere else...Dang teenagers, I hope this teaches my kids not to do this on their own!
Please don't be afraid to ask lots of questions here. We have tons of resources and people here with years of experience and they have ALOT to offer. It's better to ask as much as you need to. I can assure you that we don't mind. We want you to succeed and your Cham to have the best quality of life that it can. :)

Yes you have a girl... Your actually off to a better start then others we have seen. Unfortunately finding chameleons homes with owners that actually know what they are doing is extremely hard. Most people do not take the time to learn or provide what they need. You could try within the forum posting where you live and that your looking to rehome her. But chances are slim even with that.

If you want thorough feedback fill this out with detail and we can help. Just copy and paste into your reply.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? WE HAVE HAD "HER" NOW FOR TWO WEEKS. BOUGHT FROM PETCO. VEILED CHAMELEON. ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE WHAT AGE, COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME WITH THAT?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? NEVER EVER. I AM SCARED OF ACCIDENTALLY HURTING IT. WHEN MY DAUGHTER MOVED IT INTO THE NEW CAGE IT HISSED AT HER AND TURNED PURPLE. I AM OKAY NOT HANDLING IT ANYWAY. JUST MUST TAKE GOOD CARE OF IT.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? WE ARE FEEDING HER SUPERWORMS (THAT IS WHAT THE REPTILE STORE TELLS US THEY ARE, WE JUST GET THEM IN A BAG), ABOUT 15 A DAY PLUS 25 SMALL CRICKETS EVERY OTHER DAY. WE PUT THE WORMS IN IN THE MORNING AND LEAVE THEM UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING WHEN WE CLEAN THE FEEDING BOWL OUT. IF SOME ARE STILL MOVING WE LEAVE THEM IN AND ADD NEW ONES, OR JUST THROW THEM AWAY AND START OVER. WE HAVE A SEPARATE BOWL FOR COLLARD GREENS BUT I DO NOT THINK SHE HAS EATEN ANY OF THOSE. I'M REALLY CONCERNED ABOUT LACK OF GREENS.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? PLEASE SEE ABOVE INCLUDED PICTURES. WE COVER THE WORMS WITH REPASHY EVERY FEEDING AND HIT THEM ALSO WITH THE CALCIUM ONCE EVERY 3 DAYS OR SO.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? THIS PART IS VERY CONCERNING TO ME. WE HAVE A MISTER ON ALMOST 24/7. IT'S EXTREMELY LIGHT, AND ONLY IN ONE CORNER OF THE ENCLOSURE. IT GATHERS WATER ON THE BOTTOM VERY SLOWLY. I STOPPED THE RAIN PART BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS TOO WET. I HAVE NEVER SEEN HER DRINK.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? CHAMELEON HAS NEVER BEEN TESTED FOR ANYTHING IN OUR CARE. DROPPINGS KIND OF LOOK LIKE A BIRD POOP WITH WHITE AND DARK. BUT THEN ALSO ONE HUGE DARK POOP THE OTHER DAY. NO POOPS FOR TWO DAYS.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. WE GOT HER FROM PETCO AND THEY SAID THEY HAD HER FOR A WHILE.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? IT'S THE XL CAGE (SEE PICS) I THINK IT IS 2X2X4
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I NEED TO GET BACK TO YOU ON THIS (I DID TAKE A PIC, SEE ABOVE) I HAVE A LARGE LONG UVB (?) LIGHT, AND THEN A HEAT LAMP. SINCE FINDING THIS FORUM I STOPPED USING THE RED NIGHT LIGHT (SO MAD AT MYSELF ABOUT THAT ONE)
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? CAGE FLOOR (WHICH I HAVE NEVER SEEN HER ON SINCE WE MOVED HER) IS THE HIGHEST HUMIDITY AND TEMPS IN THE LOW 70'S, HIGHER UP THE HUMIDITY IS VERY LOW/NON-EXISTENT, BUT MAYBE THAT IS BECAUSE THE GAUGE IS LOCATED DIRECTLY ACROSS (FARTHEST AWAY) FROM THE MISTER, AND IT IS WARM UP TOP, LIKE IN THE HIGH 80'S.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? PLEASE SEE PREVIOUS ANSWER. I HAVE THOSE CRAPPY CHEAP TEMP/HUMIDITY GAUGES. I USE A SUPER SOFT MISTER. I HAVE A RAIN MACHINE TOO BUT THOUGHT IT WAS TOO AGGRESSIVE TO USE.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? NO, NEED MUCH HELP IN THIS DEPARTMENT. I READ THAT SOIL IS BAD FOR HER, IT CAN CAUSE BACTERIA TO GROW, ETC. I AM OVERWHELMED. WOULD LOVE A REALLY SIMPLE "DO EXACTLY THIS" ANSWER.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? IT IS IN MY OFFICE, LOW TRAFFIC, ON TOP OF MY DESK, PRETTY DANG HIGH OFF THE GROUND.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? SEATTLE, WA

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I AM STRESSED OUT ABOUT HER CAGE AND MAKING IT AS SAFE AND COMFORTABLE AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT CAUSING BACTERIA PROBLEMS. WHAT PLANTS DO I GET, WHAT WATERING SYSTEM SHOULD I USE. AM I FEEDING HER RIGHT. WHAT TIMER SHOULD I BUY. SORRY TO BE SO NEEDY, BUT EVEN READING OTHER POSTS OVERWHELMS ME, I FEEL LIKE EVERYTHING WE ARE DOING HAS BEEN MESSED UP AND SHE WILL DIE. I DID NOT EVEN WANT HER, BUT NOW I FEEL SUPER RESPONSIBLE. AND THEN HER BEING A GIRL, I DON'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT EGGS OR SHEDDING. HOLEY MOLEY.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Accurate resources: https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Choose the veiled safe plants at this link: https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

You will need a lay bin for her as well. They lay infertile eggs like chickens do. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

And let us know what questions you have.

PS make sure your not running the fogger during the day. That should be at night only when temps are below 68. Misting during daytime. The first link will take you through everything you would need to know. It is explained so that a newbie can understand and it is very thorough.

Attachments

• laybin graphic.jpg
    laybin graphic.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 79
Please don't be afraid to ask lots of questions here. We have tons of resources and people here with years of experience and they have ALOT to offer. It's better to ask as much as you need to. I can assure you that we don't mind. We want you to succeed and your Cham to have the best quality of life that it can. :)
Thanks a million. I am really thankful I happened upon this forum, not even sure how that happened. What a bunch of kindness here, thank you very very much.

Accurate resources: https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Choose the veiled safe plants at this link: https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

You will need a lay bin for her as well. They lay infertile eggs like chickens do. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

And let us know what questions you have.

PS make sure your not running the fogger during the day. That should be at night only when temps are below 68. Misting during daytime. The first link will take you through everything you would need to know. It is explained so that a newbie can understand and it is very thorough.
Thank you so much! I will look through the link.

Thank you so much! I will look through the link.
I actually have that link open already. I think it's the one that gave me a slight panic attack. Too much information overload for right now. If I am told the top three things I need to do, that works better for this mom of two teens who works full time and feels like she currently has no time to breathe :) I will look at the egg bin, plants for now. And re-look to figure out the difference between a fogger and mister. OH! One more question, in the tank thing my daughter had her in, there were plants, and she was eating them. But she won't touch the collard greens...are the plants okay for her to eat? No need to answer if it's in the plant link, I will find it. Thanks again!!

Can you tell my looking at my chameleon how old she is? And how old are they once they start producing eggs? And how often do they need to lay eggs? Thanks!

You said..."in the tank thing my daughter had her in, there were plants, and she was eating them. But she won't touch the collard greens...are the plants okay for her to eat? No need to answer if it's in the plant link, I will find it".... They can eat the plants as long as they are nontoxic and well washed both sides of the leaves. It's said that they don't need greens and veggies but some of the insects they eat do. You need to learn about insect care too I'm afraid. Don't panic....it's not as hard as you think to get through this all! I think we've all been there!

There's lots more to tell you...one step at a time though. This forum is IMHO one of the best places to be asking questions!

Last edited:
Hi! As has already been said, you’re actually off to a pretty good start. It does seem overwhelming when you look at it all, but just breathe and start with one thing at a time. To better tell what needs to be improved, if you can answer all the questions already given (copy & paste), someone can look it over and better guide you. :)
It is a trait of veileds to eat their plants. That is why safe live plants are best. Some have been known to eat fake leaves and that can cause impaction. I use my fake plants on the outside of my enclosure to provide some extra privacy. One of the best and easiest plants to use is the humble pothos. No special plant light needed, grows fast, long vines to add extra chameleon roads and big leaves to drink from and provide hiding spots. Plus, they are safe for nibbling.
I can’t tell how old your sweet girl is, but she looks to be sub-adult. Before being ready for egg laying, she’ll first become receptive. This is when all of her beautiful colors and patterns will show and she’ll most likely be restless. As egg laying takes a great deal out of them and shortens their lives, we try to reduce the number of eggs produced as well as frequency of laying with reduced feeding and temperature. Uncontrolled, she can lay I believe 3-4 times a year. I don’t want to further add to your being overwhelmed, so this can be circled back to a bit later.

Thank you so much Miss Skittles!! I'm calming down thanks to all of you and your kind advice. Maybe we can keep her. Maybe we should keep her. As long as we can be good to her in the midst of our very busy lives. Plants, check, I will buy one of those humble pothos this weekend. Reduce heat and feeding, check.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - WE HAVE HAD "HER" NOW FOR TWO WEEKS. BOUGHT FROM PETCO. VEILED CHAMELEON. ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE WHAT AGE, COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME WITH THAT?
I would say sub adult...but not far off adulthood.
Handling - NEVER EVER. I AM SCARED OF ACCIDENTALLY HURTING IT. WHEN MY DAUGHTER MOVED IT INTO THE NEW CAGE IT HISSED AT HER AND TURNED PURPLE. I AM OKAY NOT HANDLING IT ANYWAY. JUST MUST TAKE GOOD CARE OF IT. Just don't pull her off branches etc. Don't put your hand over the top of her to pick her up. Much better if you get her to walk out onto a stick or your hand on her own if she will.
Feeding - WE ARE FEEDING HER SUPERWORMS (THAT IS WHAT THE REPTILE STORE TELLS US THEY ARE, WE JUST GET THEM IN A BAG), ABOUT 15 A DAY PLUS 25 SMALL CRICKETS EVERY OTHER DAY. WE PUT THE WORMS IN IN THE MORNING AND LEAVE THEM UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING WHEN WE CLEAN THE FEEDING BOWL OUT. IF SOME ARE STILL MOVING WE LEAVE THEM IN AND ADD NEW ONES, OR JUST THROW THEM AWAY AND START OVER. WE HAVE A SEPARATE BOWL FOR COLLARD GREENS BUT I DO NOT THINK SHE HAS EATEN ANY OF THOSE. I'M REALLY CONCERNED ABOUT LACK OF GREENS. They really don't need the greens and veggies etc. They can get them from what the insects have in their stomach. You will want to keep your insects well fed and gutloaded. Female. Eileen will often strip the pothos and some other plants bare and often eat the substrate in the egglaying bins too. I recommend using dandelion greens, collards, kale, endive, escarole, squash, sweet potatoes, sweet red pepper, zucchini, and a small amount of apples, pears, berries, papaya, etc to the crickets, superworms, roaches. Also variety of insects fed is good for the chameleon. Silk worms, locusts, crickets, roaches, BSFL, occasionally superworms, hornworms, waxworms.
Supplements -PLEASE SEE ABOVE INCLUDED PICTURES. WE COVER THE WORMS WITH REPASHY EVERY FEEDING AND HIT THEM ALSO WITH THE CALCIUM ONCE EVERY 3 DAYS OR SO. Most recommended...dust the insects lightly just before feeding them to the chameleon with a phos free calcium powder at all feedings but one a week. On that one feeding, alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and a vitamin powder lightly.
Watering -THIS PART IS VERY CONCERNING TO ME. WE HAVE A MISTER ON ALMOST 24/7. IT'S EXTREMELY LIGHT, AND ONLY IN ONE CORNER OF THE ENCLOSURE. IT GATHERS WATER ON THE BOTTOM VERY SLOWLY. I STOPPED THE RAIN PART BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS TOO WET. I HAVE NEVER SEEN HER DRINK. A dripper is a good way to provide water as well. It can be a simple deli cup with a tiny hole in the bottom SOMIT drips at the rate of one or two drops per second will work fine. Make it so it drips on a leaf.
Fecal Description - CHAMELEON HAS NEVER BEEN TESTED FOR ANYTHING IN OUR CARE. DROPPINGS KIND OF LOOK LIKE A BIRD POOP WITH WHITE AND DARK. BUT THEN ALSO ONE HUGE DARK POOP THE OTHER DAY. NO POOPS FOR TWO DAYS. Sounds ok.
History - WE GOT HER FROM PETCO AND THEY SAID THEY HAD HER FOR A WHILE.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - IT'S THE XL CAGE (SEE PICS) I THINK IT IS 2X2X4
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? I NEED TO GET BACK TO YOU ON THIS (I DID TAKE A PIC, SEE ABOVE) I HAVE A LARGE LONG UVB (?) LIGHT, AND THEN A HEAT LAMP. SINCE FINDING THIS FORUM I STOPPED USING THE RED NIGHT LIGHT (SO MAD AT MYSELF ABOUT THAT ONE) Good that you dropped the red light. Most recommended UVB lights are the long linear tube lights ...Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6.
Temperature - CAGE FLOOR (WHICH I HAVE NEVER SEEN HER ON SINCE WE MOVED HER) IS THE HIGHEST HUMIDITY AND TEMPS IN THE LOW 70'S, HIGHER UP THE HUMIDITY IS VERY LOW/NON-EXISTENT, BUT MAYBE THAT IS BECAUSE THE GAUGE IS LOCATED DIRECTLY ACROSS (FARTHEST AWAY) FROM THE MISTER, AND IT IS WARM UP TOP, LIKE IN THE HIGH 80'S. 80 F is a good temperature for a female veiled.
Humidity - PLEASE SEE PREVIOUS ANSWER. I HAVE THOSE CRAPPY CHEAP TEMP/HUMIDITY GAUGES. I USE A SUPER SOFT MISTER. I HAVE A RAIN MACHINE TOO BUT THOUGHT IT WAS TOO AGGRESSIVE TO USE.
Plants - NO, NEED MUCH HELP IN THIS DEPARTMENT. I READ THAT SOIL IS BAD FOR HER, IT CAN CAUSE BACTERIA TO GROW, ETC. I AM OVERWHELMED. WOULD LOVE A REALLY SIMPLE "DO EXACTLY THIS" ANSWER. This I hope someone else will give you a link to.
Placement - IT IS IN MY OFFICE, LOW TRAFFIC, ON TOP OF MY DESK, PRETTY DANG HIGH OFF THE GROUND.
Location - Where are you geographically located? SEATTLE, WA

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I AM STRESSED OUT ABOUT HER CAGE AND MAKING IT AS SAFE AND COMFORTABLE AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT CAUSING BACTERIA PROBLEMS. WHAT PLANTS DO I GET, WHAT WATERING SYSTEM SHOULD I USE.

AM I FEEDING HER RIGHT. She could be fed every second day now and by the time she shows her big girl colors you will want to have her cut down to 3 to 5 crickets every second or third day to keep her clutch size down. (Other insects are find to use too...but judge it so you feed the same amount of food as I've said instead of the crickets on days you don't use crickets.)

WHAT TIMER SHOULD I BUY. SORRY TO BE SO NEEDY, BUT EVEN READING OTHER POSTS OVERWHELMS ME, I FEEL LIKE EVERYTHING WE ARE DOING HAS BEEN MESSED UP AND SHE WILL DIE. I DID NOT EVEN WANT HER, BUT NOW I FEEL SUPER RESPONSIBLE. AND THEN HER BEING A GIRL, I DON'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT EGGS OR SHEDDING. HOLEY MOLEY.

Eggs...veiled females can lay eggs about every 140 days even when not mated. Diet and temperature play a part in how many eggs they will lay and how often. Laying huge clutches happens when the husbandry isn't right. They can develop follicular stasis or eggbinding. Usually if they are producing too many follicles, and they are overfeed and kept too warm they will develop MBD, can prolapse, won't have the muscular strength to lay the eggs, can prolapse, etc. Remember...this is almost always a problem ONLY if she's overfeed constantly and the basking area is kept too warm.

I know this is a lot... But hopefully I covered most things.

Here’s the safe plant list. Many will need a plant light, especially hibiscus. I use one of these and it’s strong. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
47C3C4A6-6EB4-461A-9C9B-C5BA45F08087.jpeg

And since @kinyonga mentioned it, here’s pics of one of my girls thru all of her stages.
Her usual. Know that after reaching maturity many will keep some of their colors and won’t go back to plain green.
B363A49C-E44E-4D54-8C6D-2034A907D547.jpeg
Receptive when sneaking a peek at her handsome male neighbor.
3BC3C887-06C1-4CE5-B4CA-66276419C3CB.jpeg
Receptive, not seeing any males.
4A4005BB-F3A4-4BFC-95E8-502ACF3F1961.jpeg
Very gravid...just a couple of days before she laid her eggs.
E101EB7D-417F-4305-8AEA-D411BDF0B613.jpeg
She finished laying her eggs that morning. Still has dirt on her.
A17AE1B2-95BF-4C08-9917-6C9A2AAE78D0.jpeg
@kinyonga is perhaps the member with the most experience and knowledge, so you’ve received the best advice. :)

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - WE HAVE HAD "HER" NOW FOR TWO WEEKS. BOUGHT FROM PETCO. VEILED CHAMELEON. ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE WHAT AGE, COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME WITH THAT?
I would say sub adult...but not far off adulthood.
Handling - NEVER EVER. I AM SCARED OF ACCIDENTALLY HURTING IT. WHEN MY DAUGHTER MOVED IT INTO THE NEW CAGE IT HISSED AT HER AND TURNED PURPLE. I AM OKAY NOT HANDLING IT ANYWAY. JUST MUST TAKE GOOD CARE OF IT. Just don't pull her off branches etc. Don't put your hand over the top of her to pick her up. Much better if you get her to walk out onto a stick or your hand on her own if she will.
Feeding - WE ARE FEEDING HER SUPERWORMS (THAT IS WHAT THE REPTILE STORE TELLS US THEY ARE, WE JUST GET THEM IN A BAG), ABOUT 15 A DAY PLUS 25 SMALL CRICKETS EVERY OTHER DAY. WE PUT THE WORMS IN IN THE MORNING AND LEAVE THEM UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING WHEN WE CLEAN THE FEEDING BOWL OUT. IF SOME ARE STILL MOVING WE LEAVE THEM IN AND ADD NEW ONES, OR JUST THROW THEM AWAY AND START OVER. WE HAVE A SEPARATE BOWL FOR COLLARD GREENS BUT I DO NOT THINK SHE HAS EATEN ANY OF THOSE. I'M REALLY CONCERNED ABOUT LACK OF GREENS. They really don't need the greens and veggies etc. They can get them from what the insects have in their stomach. You will want to keep your insects well fed and gutloaded. Female. Eileen will often strip the pothos and some other plants bare and often eat the substrate in the egglaying bins too. I recommend using dandelion greens, collards, kale, endive, escarole, squash, sweet potatoes, sweet red pepper, zucchini, and a small amount of apples, pears, berries, papaya, etc to the crickets, superworms, roaches. Also variety of insects fed is good for the chameleon. Silk worms, locusts, crickets, roaches, BSFL, occasionally superworms, hornworms, waxworms.
Supplements -PLEASE SEE ABOVE INCLUDED PICTURES. WE COVER THE WORMS WITH REPASHY EVERY FEEDING AND HIT THEM ALSO WITH THE CALCIUM ONCE EVERY 3 DAYS OR SO. Most recommended...dust the insects lightly just before feeding them to the chameleon with a phos free calcium powder at all feedings but one a week. On that one feeding, alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and a vitamin powder lightly.
Watering -THIS PART IS VERY CONCERNING TO ME. WE HAVE A MISTER ON ALMOST 24/7. IT'S EXTREMELY LIGHT, AND ONLY IN ONE CORNER OF THE ENCLOSURE. IT GATHERS WATER ON THE BOTTOM VERY SLOWLY. I STOPPED THE RAIN PART BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS TOO WET. I HAVE NEVER SEEN HER DRINK. A dripper is a good way to provide water as well. It can be a simple deli cup with a tiny hole in the bottom SOMIT drips at the rate of one or two drops per second will work fine. Make it so it drips on a leaf.
Fecal Description - CHAMELEON HAS NEVER BEEN TESTED FOR ANYTHING IN OUR CARE. DROPPINGS KIND OF LOOK LIKE A BIRD POOP WITH WHITE AND DARK. BUT THEN ALSO ONE HUGE DARK POOP THE OTHER DAY. NO POOPS FOR TWO DAYS. Sounds ok.
History - WE GOT HER FROM PETCO AND THEY SAID THEY HAD HER FOR A WHILE.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - IT'S THE XL CAGE (SEE PICS) I THINK IT IS 2X2X4
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? I NEED TO GET BACK TO YOU ON THIS (I DID TAKE A PIC, SEE ABOVE) I HAVE A LARGE LONG UVB (?) LIGHT, AND THEN A HEAT LAMP. SINCE FINDING THIS FORUM I STOPPED USING THE RED NIGHT LIGHT (SO MAD AT MYSELF ABOUT THAT ONE) Good that you dropped the red light. Most recommended UVB lights are the long linear tube lights ...Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6.
Temperature - CAGE FLOOR (WHICH I HAVE NEVER SEEN HER ON SINCE WE MOVED HER) IS THE HIGHEST HUMIDITY AND TEMPS IN THE LOW 70'S, HIGHER UP THE HUMIDITY IS VERY LOW/NON-EXISTENT, BUT MAYBE THAT IS BECAUSE THE GAUGE IS LOCATED DIRECTLY ACROSS (FARTHEST AWAY) FROM THE MISTER, AND IT IS WARM UP TOP, LIKE IN THE HIGH 80'S. 80 F is a good temperature for a female veiled.
Humidity - PLEASE SEE PREVIOUS ANSWER. I HAVE THOSE CRAPPY CHEAP TEMP/HUMIDITY GAUGES. I USE A SUPER SOFT MISTER. I HAVE A RAIN MACHINE TOO BUT THOUGHT IT WAS TOO AGGRESSIVE TO USE.
Plants - NO, NEED MUCH HELP IN THIS DEPARTMENT. I READ THAT SOIL IS BAD FOR HER, IT CAN CAUSE BACTERIA TO GROW, ETC. I AM OVERWHELMED. WOULD LOVE A REALLY SIMPLE "DO EXACTLY THIS" ANSWER. This I hope someone else will give you a link to.
Placement - IT IS IN MY OFFICE, LOW TRAFFIC, ON TOP OF MY DESK, PRETTY DANG HIGH OFF THE GROUND.
Location - Where are you geographically located? SEATTLE, WA

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I AM STRESSED OUT ABOUT HER CAGE AND MAKING IT AS SAFE AND COMFORTABLE AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT CAUSING BACTERIA PROBLEMS. WHAT PLANTS DO I GET, WHAT WATERING SYSTEM SHOULD I USE.

AM I FEEDING HER RIGHT. She could be fed every second day now and by the time she shows her big girl colors you will want to have her cut down to 3 to 5 crickets every second or third day to keep her clutch size down. (Other insects are find to use too...but judge it so you feed the same amount of food as I've said instead of the crickets on days you don't use crickets.)

WHAT TIMER SHOULD I BUY. SORRY TO BE SO NEEDY, BUT EVEN READING OTHER POSTS OVERWHELMS ME, I FEEL LIKE EVERYTHING WE ARE DOING HAS BEEN MESSED UP AND SHE WILL DIE. I DID NOT EVEN WANT HER, BUT NOW I FEEL SUPER RESPONSIBLE. AND THEN HER BEING A GIRL, I DON'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT EGGS OR SHEDDING. HOLEY MOLEY.

Eggs...veiled females can lay eggs about every 140 days even when not mated. Diet and temperature play a part in how many eggs they will lay and how often. Laying huge clutches happens when the husbandry isn't right. They can develop follicular stasis or eggbinding. Usually if they are producing too many follicles, and they are overfeed and kept too warm they will develop MBD, can prolapse, won't have the muscular strength to lay the eggs, can prolapse, etc. Remember...this is almost always a problem ONLY if she's overfeed constantly and the basking area is kept too warm.

I know this is a lot... But hopefully I covered most things.
That was not overwhelming at all! VERY helpful, thank you!!!!! I did get info about the plants, so I will work on that this weekend. Oh boy I am really overfeeding her. I thought she was starving to death b/c I could see her ribs.

Back
Top Bottom