My silk worm home has failed..

That is the wrong size grid. I got mine at Michaels and it was larger. You could even order some online. It is pretty cheap.

Yeah that is the small one. There is also a smaller on I use for new hatchings. I also found the larger size at Walmart in the fabric area.

...Any suggestion on which screen to buy? I went to home depot and couldn't find any screen like material besides window screen....

Howdy Tim,

The Michael's (and from many others too) works perfectly until the silkworms are about medium-sized. You want to buy the same plastic sheet but with the 1/8" mesh (#5). It comes in 13"x22" sheets for a couple bucks.

Darice Artist Plastic Canvas #33400
https://www.darice.com/ecom/ProductDetails.aspx?it=33400&oid=12844

Get it just a few miles from you at:

JoAnn's Etc.
Del Amo Mall
Torrance, CA
Suite C300, lower level near Mall Entrance 11 (On the west side)
310-214-0992

lol It is way to much sometimes. I think it is a lot easier to take care of large worms rather than raising them from egg.

-Clemonde

I do agree entirely. However, I have several chams and the don't all eat the same size. I go through small meds and larges. Breeding moths and then raising the eggs is a personal triumph more then anything. You should give it a try, it's actually pretty fun and educational.:)

-Jay

It has been done I have done it with about 2000. It was fun but took alot of time and effort. I was using leaves by the way. Raising 2000 silkworms from egg to cocoon is very costly.

-Clemonde

I have had the knitting plastic in my room for about a year and haven't used it. I feel as if it is too heavy to place on top of the newborns. Have any of you placed it on silkworms right out of the egg? Tim sorry for stealing your thread.:p

-Clemonde

EDIT: After the silkworms finish the chow do you place another one right on top the old one so they can move up to the new one? or is it just for their frass to fall through?

So once they turn in to moths what do you feed them in order to get eggs? or how is that process? I have 6 in cocoons already

Maybe you don't have to feed them at all...

silkchat.gif

so hatch, screw and lay i and die? anyway to tell the females from the male moths?

What a life huh.....:rolleyes: Yep thats it!;)

The female moths will generally be larger them the males and have a rounded butt as opposed to the males "pointed" butt. The will cort once, then she will lay, and then bite the big one.:cool:After they cort remove the female and give her a place to lay. The male will usually be good for another "smashing session" so add in another female.:)

Edit: They wont eat as moths either, or atleast I havent been able to get them to, I tried a mixture of bee polin, powdered moik and powdered sugar, with no luck. I wanted to feed them off after they layed, and was just trying to buy a few days.

What a life huh.....:rolleyes: Yep thats it!;)

The female moths will generally be larger them the males and have a rounded butt as opposed to the males "pointed" butt. The will cort once, then she will lay, and then bite the big one.:cool:After they cort remove the female and give her a place to lay. The male will usually be good for another "smashing session" so add in another female.:)

Edit: They wont eat as moths either, or atleast I havent been able to get them to, I tried a mixture of bee polin, powdered moik and powdered sugar, with no luck. I wanted to feed them off after they layed, and was just trying to buy a few days.

Well I got 30+ cocoons just sitting here the last week we will see how this goes.

haha that was funny...but im not sure what he said after the pass me a cold on.lol but howd u do that?

I know this is a few months old, however an alternative that i use for mesh is actually a plastic gutter guard that has 1/4 " holes. It is usauly sold at hardware stores in a 6inch wide by 10 feet long role for like 3 dollars. Then i cut to a according size. As for the container that i use is a glad tupperware container that is large. So i fold a paper towel in half for the bottom then i put my gutter guard on top of the paper towel and then i tape some wax paper on top of the container instead of using the lid the tupperware container comes with. I just cut the chow into strips. The silkworms will usually stay were ever the food is which should be on top of the gutter guard that i use.

Back
Top Bottom