my panther chameleon not eaten for almost 2weeks!

speedmast

Since my boy refused to eat,I had a vet visit last week and the vet told me that it could be parasites.He gave me some kind of medication and my boy took it.The day after my boy took the medication,I discovered one parasite.I thought he would be pleased to eat afterward,but he didn't:( (although he still looks good,at least he doesn't sleep in day and does crawl every where)
So what to do if he still refuse to eat?any help will be appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC01547.JPG
    DSC01547.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC01548.JPG
    DSC01548.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC01549.JPG
    DSC01549.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 282
here's more details of my kid...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - (panther chameleon:sambava), (male), (and about 1 year old). How long has it been in your care?-(less than a month)
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?-(I do it rarely,he's still a little afraid of me)
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?-(dubia roaches) What is the schedule?(2-3 adult dubia every other day.He used to eat them every day,but now he is refusing to eat) How are you gut-loading your feeders?(I feed them with carrot/potato/greens every day and provide with water daily)
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?(Rep-Cal calcium with vit D3 & multi vit=2x a month)(calcium without d3=3x a week)I'm worrying about his supplements coz he refuses to eat which equals he couldn't get the supplements:(
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use?(I use dripper and I mist manually) How often and how long to you mist?(I mist 3-4times and 1-2mins everytime.I turn on the dripper 12hrs per day) Do you see your chameleon drinking?(yes)
Fecal Description - (unusually,it's white.Does the medication cause it?) Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?(probably no)
History - (He vomited before but afterwards he did well.He eats the roaches every day/every other day until he had the parasites)

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Screen) What are the dimensions?(18''x18''x36'')
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?(5.0,60w) What is your daily lighting schedule?(5.0:12hours a day,60w:3-4hours a day since it's summer)
Temperature - (80 ambient,around 90 basking)
Humidity - (70-80) How are you creating and maintaining these levels?(there are plenty of live plants with a little plastic plants in his enclosure.)
Plants - Are you using live plants?(Yes) If so, what kind?(ficus and pothos plants)
Placement - Where is your cage located?(in my Balcony) Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?(no)

Well, I think you've already identified the problem being parasites. I'm puzzled that the vet gave you medication for parasites... yet didn't TEST him for parasites? Did he pass the worm in his fecal or vomit it?

I would keep him on the medication for the parasites, and make sure he stays hydrated with good humidity and is drinking.

One thing though about your lighting schedule... you only have his basking light on for 3-4 hours a day? I don't think this is TOO much of a big deal, but I'd offer the basking light the entire time your lights are on. The chameleon should be able to self-regulate his heat by going to cooler sections of the cage if he needs to. Does the basking light bring the ambient temperature in the cage up too high, and that's why you don't keep it on all the time?

First thing I always recommend to deal with a hunger strike is to not offer any food for 2 days, and then offer a new and different prey item (in your case maybe a cricket or a superworm?). But since you're dealing with parasites your situation is probably different.

Well, I think you've already identified the problem being parasites. I'm puzzled that the vet gave you medication for parasites... yet didn't TEST him for parasites? Did he pass the worm in his fecal or vomit it?

I would keep him on the medication for the parasites, and make sure he stays hydrated with good humidity and is drinking.

One thing though about your lighting schedule... you only have his basking light on for 3-4 hours a day? I don't think this is TOO much of a big deal, but I'd offer the basking light the entire time your lights are on. The chameleon should be able to self-regulate his heat by going to cooler sections of the cage if he needs to. Does the basking light bring the ambient temperature in the cage up too high, and that's why you don't keep it on all the time?

First thing I always recommend to deal with a hunger strike is to not offer any food for 2 days, and then offer a new and different prey item (in your case maybe a cricket or a superworm?). But since you're dealing with parasites your situation is probably different.
First of all,thanks for your help and yes,He vomited the worm.I understand what your points about lighting.I'll turn it on the entire time.
unfortunately,I don't think it will work if I don't offer any food for 2 days since he has already not eaten for 12 days:(
But please tell me how to deal with parasites'issue?I mean how can I do to make him eat and strike again?How long can he still survive if he doesn't eat?

He needs a fecal done by the vet to determine which parasites he has. He also needs his basking light as it helps him digest his food. If it isn't there for him to bask, it's possible he may not eat.

Get him back to the vet for a fecal asap and put on some meds. Also try flying feeders that should help him want to eat.....is he a wild caught ?

He needs a fecal done by the vet to determine which parasites he has. He also needs his basking light as it helps him digest his food. If it isn't there for him to bask, it's possible he may not eat.

Thank you.I will increase his basking time as long as the UVB bulb.

Curious to what deworming medication he gave your cham before he passed the worm. Do you remember what it was?? Also please keep us updated on what the vet says and decides his treatment should be. Thanks:)

Get him back to the vet for a fecal asap and put on some meds. Also try flying feeders that should help him want to eat.....is he a wild caught ?

This ^^^....

Different parasites require different medication. You want to treat correctly and not waste time and $

I've got it.I'll do it...and yes he is a wild caught.

Hmm, a wc cham vomiting up fully adult parasitic worms probably has a heavy infestation. The antiparasitical med will kill specific parasites of course, but the problem also is that a heavy load of dead parasites can overwhelm the cham in the process. His intestinal tract could be full of dead or dying worms causing him a lot of stress and discomfort.

Yes. I'd go by what the vet says after you have him tested for parasites, and hopefully the parasite medication you're currently giving him will help. How long are you supposed to administer it?

It is possible that if he has a really bad infestation and takes awhile to clear, you might need to manually feed him a couple of times to give the parasites time to clear out.

BUT I don't have a whole lot of experience with parasites, so please listen to other keepers who have more Wild Caught experience or your vet. I'm only guessing. :)

Curious to what deworming medication he gave your cham before he passed the worm. Do you remember what it was?? Also please keep us updated on what the vet says and decides his treatment should be. Thanks:)

Maybe I can tell you later if I have any information about the medication from the vet.I am taking him to the vet within these two days.I will keep update on the vet's treatment and no...thank you:)

Hmm, a wc cham vomiting up fully adult parasitic worms probably has a heavy infestation. The antiparasitical med will kill specific parasites of course, but the problem also is that a heavy load of dead parasites can overwhelm the cham in the process. His intestinal tract could be full of dead or dying worms causing him a lot of stress and discomfort.

I appreciate for your help.But what else can I do rather than not giving him the medication?I mean he'll die without it in the furture?

Yes. I'd go by what the vet says after you have him tested for parasites, and hopefully the parasite medication you're currently giving him will help. How long are you supposed to administer it?

It is possible that if he has a really bad infestation and takes awhile to clear, you might need to manually feed him a couple of times to give the parasites time to clear out.

BUT I don't have a whole lot of experience with parasites, so please listen to other keepers who have more Wild Caught experience or your vet. I'm only guessing. :)

I do hope so!I think I'm supposed to administer it for a week.I'm going to take him to visit the vet tomorrow and hopefully he can help...

Finally he ate...

I've just succeeded to feed him a cricket(the first food he has ever eaten in this 2weeks),but he has just eaten ONE cricket ONLY!I'm so worry about his size since I awared that he is much thinner than before:(

so do the vets have the ability to identify which kinds of parasites they are?

Yes, if you bring in a poop for the vet to do a fecal smear/float. Once the vet ID's the parasites, you can decide what your plan of action is.

Yes, if you bring in a poop for the vet to do a fecal smear/float. Once the vet ID's the parasites, you can decide what your plan of action is.

Thank you.I'll try to do it properly.Did you heard any story of having parasite's issues before that the chameleons could certainly survive/recover at all after the infestation?How many probability could they go through it?I'm just worrying about my kid...

Can you show a pic of your guy? I don't know of any stories, and survival depends on when you catch the infestation and what type of parasite it is. If you have any other chams you might want to take them to the vet too.

Back
Top Bottom