My pair's first mating.

melric

Avid Member
Alright, so I'm sort of a new member and have never started a new thread. I've had chameleons for about a year now. My veiled chameleons mated today for the first time and I'm super excited for the eggs and baby's. My female has never shown any type of color change and has always been green. I was expecting her to show the black with yellow after the mating, but nothing. I'm wondering if she is pregnant or not??? Do they need to mate a couple of times before she shows her gravid colors? Here is a pic of them after mating. My female is 9-10 months old, and my male is 13 months.

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 236
I think I hear in the forum somewhere that a female can show gravid colors wether her eggs are furtilized or not (she's showing she needs to lay eggs)? Is that true?

I think I hear in the forum somewhere that a female can show gravid colors wether her eggs are furtilized or not (she's showing she needs to lay eggs)? Is that true?

Thanks! I don't think she is gravid as they just mated a couple of hours ago. Are you asking if she is already pregnant?

Wow, he's a hottie!

Thanks! I don't think she is gravid as they just mated a couple of hours ago. Are you asking if she is already pregnant?

No not pregnant. I was wondering if a female onlyshows gravid colors once her eggs have been fertilized. I think I may have read that a female will show gravid colors when they are ready to lay eggs regardless if the eggs are fertilized or not, but I'm unsure. Hope somebody reads this and knows some facts.

Male is 13 months, and female is about 10. I saw a youtube video and a female veiled was showing her gravid color right after mating.

I'm pretty sure about (97%) if they were sucessful in mating she will have fertilized eggs. Now see if she can get the eggs layed and you can then correctly incubated them (takes long time) is the big question.

Congrats on mating. I wouldn't suggest mating if she was only 10 months, some people say that its fine at that age for a female but it would have been better if she was at least a year old or older. As long as she is very healthy and doesn't have any problems, I don't think anything should go wrong. Also for the incubation it will take about 6-9 months, you will know when they are ready to hatch, but don't worry about that right now, think about the laying bin and having vermiculite/hatch rite, incubator or separate plastic shoe containers to put them in and incubate about 75 degrees Fahrenheit, I might not be totally accurate about the temperature, just wait for some more information on it. and Good Luck!

Hi if you have only put the pair together once, you might want to see how they each act if you try to put them together again tomorrow. If she isn't in the mood, she will tell him loud & clear. If she starts rocking, hissing, gaping & changing colors, then quickly remove her from his cage. If she is gravid she will most likely show those colors if you attempt to put them together. Good luck.

Actually, I know they shouldn't be living together, but I've had them together since I bought my female about 6 months ago. I've been meaning to get her a new enclosure, but theirs is pretty big. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but they get along great. I'm most definitely getting her a new cage soon.

If they have been living together for months....how do you know that they mated for the first time yesterday??

Your female doesn't seem to be showing the mustard/yellow splotches that a sexually mature female should show.

IMHO it would be in the best interest of the female for the two of them to be separated until she is full grown so that the demand of producing fertile eggs is not put upon her when she isn't even finished growing her own bones and body.

Anyone know how long a female is gravid for, before laying? I've been trying to research that.

Nevermind I found it finally.

Does your female have the mustardy/yellow splotches???

The length of time between mating and laying the eggs should be about 30 days, but it depends on when they mate during the female's cycle. If she was already working on some infertile eggs, it could be sooner.

Does your female have the mustardy/yellow splotches???

The length of time between mating and laying the eggs should be about 30 days, but it depends on when they mate during the female's cycle. If she was already working on some infertile eggs, it could be sooner.

She has actually always been this lime green color. I just noticed if you look really closely there are some light splotches of yellow. It's barely noticeable. But, I've never seen her change any of her coloring at all. She is a constant lime green, even when she is being aggressive. I just took this and she looks way fatter than yesterday...

Attachments

• Photo2_WEB.jpg
    Photo2_WEB.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 84
Update, not as fat today. But she is actually changing color for the first time. I see yellow spots and splotches coming in. Never seen that at all before.

Attachments

• Photo_WEB.jpg
    Photo_WEB.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom