My new DIY enclosure

Ruganut

Hi all, thought I would share my new enclosure with you :)

Decided to upgrade from my Exo Terra 18x18x18 (left of picture) - so I had a bash at making my own. Having viewed a lot of enclosures on this forum over the last few months I had a design in mind, so I set to it.

I'm very happy with it so far, and more importantly so is Ringo :D There are just a couple of things I need to sort out. Firstly is the humidity. Tomorrow I will be getting a cool mist humidifer, and somehow set that up ! Secondly, I'm having problems finding any crickets Ringo doesnt polish off, as there are lots of places for them to hide :(

Just wondering if 1 UVB bulb is enough though ? My canopy can take another one, but I'm not sure if thats too much light ?

Well, thats my first ever build and fairly sure it wont be my last - lol

Thanks for looking ;)

Attachments

• Ringo enclosure 01.jpg
    Ringo enclosure 01.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 208
might be better to get a plant light and some live plants in there over getting a humidifer

u could start cup feeding to keep them pesky crickets in check.

the 2nd cham chage (same size as the ones u use now) i had i was letting the crickets run free and kinda had the same prob. only dif was i didnt care if they hid as long as he got his fill and had fun hunting the rest later. most the time the crickets climbed up to the basking light and got picked off.
but after a few months when i was cleaning the cage i found out that the ones he didnt eat were breeding.
then i started cup feeding

Thanks for the advice Midnighthwk, I have a Pothos in there and have a Fiscus nearly ready to go in. It had been sprayed with chemicals, so i've washed it thoroughly and repotted in organic soil. I will give it a month or two before I put it in his enclosure.

He seems reluctant to cup feed and much prefers to hunt for his dinner, so Im just keeping an eye on the pesky crickets :rolleyes:

Anyone have any ideas on my UVB lighting ? Is it possible to have too much UVB lighting ? Tbh he spends a lot of time on the vine which is about 6-8 inches directly under his UVB light. Then he wanders over to his basking branches, and back to his UVB perch again. Is this normal ?

Sorry for all the questions, still learning here :eek:

tk me around 3-4 months to get my guy used to "cup" feeding.
start by putting half the crickets in the "cup" and other half run free.
i use a galon milk jug as my cup but thinking of getting a lil smaller one.
few still make it out so he can hunt them so i dont mind.

about the uvb, from what i have read and seen with my guy thats normal.

u could also make the cage cricket proof by putting screen around the hiding spots so the crickets cant get to them.

i have a few pics that u can see part of my feeding "cup" in. not sure if i have a good one though.
IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

hanging worm bowl
IMG_1267.jpg

if he can get that close to the UVB then you shouldnt need two. as someone elsde said you can put a UVB bulb for the plants 2.0 UVB is what I use and it just give a little extra UVB. I also get my guys outside for natural light every chance I get. as for the crickets I have a sunny D death trap like the other posters milk jug and my guy loves it. I would free range vrickets if you can.

Thanks for the advice Linzeecooperpanther, i've added a UVB 2.0 light for the plants, which also brightens up that side of the enclosure a bit too :)

I have made up a Sunny D deathtrap for the crickets, lets hope he takes to it ;)

Thanks for the advice Linzeecooperpanther, i've added a UVB 2.0 light for the plants, which also brightens up that side of the enclosure a bit too :)

I have made up a Sunny D deathtrap for the crickets, lets hope he takes to it ;)

oh yeah, and glue some screen on the inside of the sunny d feeder so that the crickets climb high enough for him to see them.

some days my crickets dont climb up but my guy checks its every now and then to see if there is anything in it.

Back
Top Bottom