My new chameleon seems ill

Spiffy0710

so I have a veiled and he's approx 7 mths old. All of a sudden he started dragging his body and his right back leg looks a bit larger at the end by the foot and the other leg looks like he has two knees. The two knees looks the same since I got him but he's now walking funny. When he climbs, the swollen foot grabs on to his side and he just dangles his back feet when he is in his fav spot. Does it sound like a fractured leg or mbd?!?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 226
So I dust all food with calcium w/o d3 daily (all food). I feed him vitabugs meal worms and crickets from petco. I only had him for 3 wks so I don't have an exact schedule of all but I've also given him reptivite vitamins once once I got him.

And I have 3 live plants in his cage, his humidity is mostly between 70-80 % with a few dips to 50s during the day. I have a 16x16 cage, I keep his lights on for 12 hours a day off all night to sleep. I have a reptisun 5.0 uvb and 60w blue daylight. I also have a 50w basking light on his cage.

Definitely MBD based on the photos. Get him to the vet so they can give him a calcium shot, as well as some liquid calcium for you to administer over the next few weeks. Your schedule and set up sound good (except I didn't see any calcium w/d3 or multivitamin? Each should be given every 2 weeks) and it takes a long time for MBD to get this severe. Go back to the pet store and let them know it is not acceptable to sell or keep animals in this condition. I'd press them to pay for your vet bills and refund the money you paid, but I'd urge you not to sign any non disclosure agreements. (They'll likely ask you to sign one) This is absolutely horrid. The good news is that many chameleons can recover and have a long healthy life if it is caught soon enough, although the curvature of the bones will likely remain. Good luck to you.

Sorry to hear your lil' one has MBD :unsure: Wishing him a great recovery! You did what you needed to do and that is commendable! I will say though that most vets will say mealworms are good to feed; just know, they are great for treats every now and then. Best for these guys are variety with the majority of feeders being a softer bodied buggy. My boys LOVE their Dubai roaches, hornworms, silkworms, butter worms, and crickets. They don't get meals but do get supers as treats often. Good luck and welcome :)

Back
Top Bottom