My little boy has the Coccidia parasite

Rufi0

Established Member
I dropped off one of Nosy's poo for a 6 month routine fecal check and the vets have discovered the coccidia parasite in the sample.

I have an appointment with the Vets for a checkup and to see where we go from here.

From what i've read on the forums with my discussion with the Vet I will be pushing for Ponazuri over Albon. Please jump in if there are any other medications / options that I can talk over with the Vet.

I will need to thoroughly clean all of Nosy's enclosure and plants.

I have a few questions regarding the Coccidia parasite.

For Nosy's main source of food I have a colony of Dubia roaches. Do roaches carry Coccidia? It would be a shame to have to euthanise all these little guys that I have raised. Is there a way to test feeder foods for the parasite before I resort to putting them down?

I know this is a silly question but thought I'd check. Can the Coccidia strain found in chameleons pass to humans? My girlfriend is currently pregnant. With the standard advise given with cats and dogs, just to be safe i've told her not to touch any of his poo's, but thought i'd check.

On a different note, here is a little advice for new owners !

As a relatively new owner this is my first fecal check and it has come up positive. The recommendation found on care sheets and general information is to have fecal checks at least two times a year.

We got Nosy when he was 6 months old and didn't get his first fecal check done until 6 months later.

The problem with this now is we have a year time frame in which he could have picked up the parasite. For all we know he could have come to us with the parasite. He didn't really show any of the symptoms i have found online, apart from a dip in his food consumption but that also coincided with winter which also slows down their intake from what i've read.

We also don't have any behaviour to compare. If we knew a period of time he definitely didn't have the parasite perhaps we could have seen his behaviour change slightly and been able to better identify a source for the parasite and responded quicker.

The long and short of it is, get your fecal checks done shortly after first getting your chameleon. It doesn't cost a lot, and doesn't take long to get the results back. I got mine back on the same day. My Vet even mentioned I could have sent the sample in by post, so it wouldn't have been any effort on my part.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing... we live and learn.

Here's my 2 cents, ive dealt with coccidia in 4 wcs and 3 cbs. All panthers, the 3 cbs all came to me with it. None of my personal collection have ever gotten it, due to solid quarantine and never cross contaminating. Tip 1, try to never to buy crickets from a pet store they often times throw escapees back in bins. Tip 2, dont use albon to treat use ponazuril. My vet recommended 30 mg/kg, and the concentration was 90mg/ml. Treatment was 2 days on 2 days off and then a final of 2 days on. Tip 3, clean, clean, clean. Get rid of any potted plants and use the hottest water you can use to hose the enclosure out. I spray mine down with a bleach solution (which is said not to get rid of coccidia), and then i hose it down with a heavy duty hose hooked directly to hot water only. This method has worked for me 7 times. So, with that being said good luck.

Scott

My Jackson also was tested and yesterday I found out he has a parasite. What kind idk but will find out today at the vet.
I bought him at a repticon event.

Thanks Scott much appreciated will bring your info on the Ponazuril to the vets and take your advice. Cheers

I highly recommend getting a fecal on every new chameleon regardless of where they come from. Any chameleon can have cociddia even when bought from the best breeders. I do fecals often but would recommend every four months. Cociddia is the worst parasite and the hardest to clean up. Ponazuril is the way to go. Here's a couple of links you might find helpful.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/chameleons-coccidia-ponazuril-offers-new-hope-16409/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/coccidia-cleaning-need-advice-tips-please-42444/

Last edited:
Already ordered in the steam cleaner and the ammonia! Gunna get scrubbing this weekend. Will buy new plants and throw the old ones out.

Does anybody know if dubia can carry Coccidia parasites?

I remember seeing this website

http://dubiaroaches.com/dubia-roaches-vs-crickets/

"Crickets carry disease

A common complaint by those who use crickets as feeders is that their reptiles sometimes get pinworms from the crickets.

Roaches do not carry pinworms or any other type of parasite"

Already ordered in the steam cleaner and the ammonia! Gunna get scrubbing this weekend. Will buy new plants and throw the old ones out.

Does anybody know if dubia can carry Coccidia parasites?

I remember seeing this website

http://dubiaroaches.com/dubia-roaches-vs-crickets/

"Crickets carry disease

A common complaint by those who use crickets as feeders is that their reptiles sometimes get pinworms from the crickets.

Roaches do not carry pinworms or any other type of parasite"

All feeders can carry parasites including cociddia. I have also read on here where members did fecals on their feeders.

That might be an option before taking any drastic measures with my Dubia colony. My appointment is on Saturday so i'll see if that is something we can arrange. Thanks again guys

Back
Top Bottom