My last post here - a SERIOUS concern about roaches

Franquixote

Established Member
I re-homed my panther to a wonderful family, and the enclosure has been empty for about 4 months. Nighttime temps dip into the low 60's, and mist has been turned off. Only water is at the base of my single plant in there.
Switched out some electronics around the enclosure today, and this evening a pretty small dubia- very flat but *very* much alive got chased by the cats across the floor.

The colonies were sent with the chameleon. I have no other reptiles. The nearest rooms are even colder. In other words, this dubia has survived for 5 months or so with no food, no humidity, no heat.

I was insane with the amount of effort I put into preventing escapees. I never purposely left bugs in the enclosure even overnight.

I will NevER have insects in my house again.

Be careful folks, when I got into this hobby people told me they couldn't live more than a week or 2 without some heat and humidity. FALSE.

I'm going to do a deep dive next time the family is out- I have to imagine there are other survivors. I hate to bug bomb the tank, but I'm freaked out right now.

I dont know why you are freaking out. Many have had this "pleasure" of ever living dubia.

You will never get an ingress of dubia. Even the perfect scenario, a queen that is about to give birth escapes. The only thing that will happen is either she explodes, or she has the babies, and they die trying to molt after a molt or 2. Thats it.

No one has ever found a colony of dubia in the house. You will find escapes all the time. They just wonder around. They can never turn into adults, at some point they will just die trying to shed. Even if conditions are good enough for 2 adults to find each other and get preggers, most of the time the queen just explodes because conditions are almost never right for birth. And even if she does give birth, again they will all die during a molt, they will never live for the months and months it takes to become an adult.

WHO CARES if they cause full on infestation, isn't the thought of dozens if not hundreds of roaches able to live in your home for months a problem for some people?!

I went into this as the lone hobbyist in my family and with the info that an escapee would die in a week or two... just want others to understand that's complete BS.

Just want to respect the wife and kids in my hobbies

Just found 5 more on the bottom and sprayed the %$^# out of the enclosure.
Took a full blast of roach specific spray and still alive 10 minutes later.... fffggg

Dude. They are obviously in the frame or something... which I TRIPLE CAULKED... thank God they don't seem to be able to get out!

Bro calm down, they can’t hurt you.
5E6B2F5F-1ACC-436C-959F-4D2FEB3C5340.jpeg

I re-homed my panther to a wonderful family, and the enclosure has been empty for about 4 months. Nighttime temps dip into the low 60's, and mist has been turned off. Only water is at the base of my single plant in there.
Switched out some electronics around the enclosure today, and this evening a pretty small dubia- very flat but *very* much alive got chased by the cats across the floor.

The colonies were sent with the chameleon. I have no other reptiles. The nearest rooms are even colder. In other words, this dubia has survived for 5 months or so with no food, no humidity, no heat.

I was insane with the amount of effort I put into preventing escapees. I never purposely left bugs in the enclosure even overnight.

I will NevER have insects in my house again.

Be careful folks, when I got into this hobby people told me they couldn't live more than a week or 2 without some heat and humidity. FALSE.

I'm going to do a deep dive next time the family is out- I have to imagine there are other survivors. I hate to bug bomb the tank, but I'm freaked out right now.
Um, you for sure will have insects in your house again. Pull off some of your baseboards, or move something that sits on the concrete floor of your laundry room and you’ll find silverfish, millipedes, pull bugs, and a host of others. And they can an do breed in your home, dubias do not. I’m sorry that you found a few escapees, but alarmism is not beneficial to others on this site.

I was fed misinformation. I know they can't harm me and we live with lots of NATIVE wildlife. This is different for a variety of reasons. Anyone renting for example would have to be pretty selfish to impose their hobby on future tenants. Just 1 example.

I was fed misinformation. I know they can't harm me and we live with lots of NATIVE wildlife. This is different for a variety of reasons. Anyone renting for example would have to be pretty selfish to impose their hobby on future tenants. Just 1 example.
Ok, I understand your frustration about being told something that has turned out not to be the case in your situation. In future, perhaps the part of prudence would be to tap additional resources for this kind of information.

Thanks for understanding, and why I feel others should go into this knowing what to expect.
The general consensus around here was "don't worry, they can't live more thank a couple weeks at most in 50% humidity and low 60's with no water"

Totally false.

4 months easy, no heat, low humidity and no water. I suppose food is possible but certainly not anything resembling nutrition. Direct hit with roach specific killer and a few poor ones still suffering, just THAT blows me away. I'm going to dispatch them and say goodbye. I have had a good time here with you folks.
Thanks for everything.
God bless. health and happiness to all of you throughout the new year!

Wow. After all these years that's the last thing you want to say to me Brody?

"Real" men take care of their family's and community's needs first and foremost, and letting your personal hobby - in this case in the form of insects which to the uninitiated are large and unknown- take precedence over your family's peace of mind, or your houseguest, or the next tenant, is utterly juvenile and selfish.

Remember that you pompous ass. REAL MEN put the welfare of others before them, in both real and perceived threats. A year ago my youngest (5 at the time) had an adult dubia in her "blankie" when we were watching TV near the enclosure. She remembers that moment more than all the moments of holding the chameleon combined.

So don't talk about being a man until you understand what the role entails you lout.

Wow. After all these years that's the last thing you want to say to me Brody?

"Real" men take care of their family's and community's needs first and foremost, and letting your personal hobby - in this case in the form of insects which to the uninitiated are large and unknown- take precedence over your family's peace of mind, or your houseguest, or the next tenant, is utterly juvenile and selfish.

Remember that you pompous ass. REAL MEN put the welfare of others before them, in both real and perceived threats. A year ago my youngest (5 at the time) had an adult dubia in her "blankie" when we were watching TV near the enclosure. She remembers that moment more than all the moments of holding the chameleon combined.

So don't talk about being a man until you understand what the role entails you lout.
I’m pretty sure Brody was just razzin’ you a bit, rather than actually trying to insult you: kind of the online version of giving a jocular punch to the shoulder, instead of a handshake. Anyways, sorry again to hear about your frustrations, but have a happy new year.

Back
Top Bottom