My first veil comelion

You know me too well, actually starting to get kinda creepy! Lol but you have to admit that I’ve come along way over the last year as far as doing it politely!

Like minds man. Haha.

You have come a long way. A year ago you would have blasted the OP pretty hard and then decadancin would have to come in and down hill from there haha.

They are good for children mature enough to properly care for one and is willing to change according to their pets needs. I’m only thirteen and my Cham was doing great. (She died yesterday, she was egg bound and we didn’t get to the vet on time)

I agree but with a parent that wants to be involved it can be a great learning experience. My daughter loves helping me and learning about them so I think by the time she hits her teens she would be fine with them.

Agree. My son Sam (14) and I are joint care givers of our new panther Max. I enjoy teaching him and it's been a good learning experience for him so far. I would have never let him be sole care taker though, even though he is really mature. Chameleons are just so high maintenance, I think it would be overwhelming.

She was doing great until she died. I never meant her being eggbound was great. She was in excellent health for the majority of her life.

We just see teens buying these and the parents have no interest in helping. Even when it's sick the parents won't help get it to the vet or help purchase needed equipment. These situations make the chameleon too hard for younger owners. If the parents are involved and care about the animal they can have success.

That's exactly what my parents did to me. My dad just bought a crappy chameleon kit and a veiled cham from the local petsmart for my bday and that's it. They are willing to pay for some things, but I have to do a bunch of chores and things on top of caring for my cham to earn some money for proper equipment. My parents know nothing about reptiles and would definitely not trust them to take care of my cham.

That's exactly what my parents did to me. My dad just bought a crappy chameleon kit and a veiled cham from the local petsmart for my bday and that's it. They are willing to pay for some things, but I have to do a bunch of chores and things on top of caring for my cham to earn some money for proper equipment. My parents know nothing about reptiles and would definitely not trust them to take care of my cham.

Yeah I'm all for the chores and you earning money as that's they way I am with my kids but pets are a family project and so I will not make the kids use their money for them. I love chameleons and that's important so that it's a project we both enjoy.

Yeah my dad has since gotten interested in the reptile hobby and is more that willing to assist me, my mom... not so much.

This is my point exactly. If the kid doesn't have the means to properly care for a chameleon, heck, most adults don't usually, then it shouldn't be taken on, or taken lightly. I'm also one that doesn't support giving any type of animals for Christmas or birthday gifts. Especially if the person isn't aware or capable of taking care of said animal. Nothing against you, @Calypratus , I just think it was a little irresponsible of your parent to give you a high maintenance animal, then not work with you to give her the best care possible. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Yeah I'm all for the chores and you earning money as that's they way I am with my kids but pets are a family project and so I will not make the kids use their money for them. I love chameleons and that's important so that it's a project we both enjoy.
I make my stepson do chores for crickets for his Gecko. I don't make him do chores for its everyday needs. For instance he grew out of his cave really quickly so I bought him a new bigger one. But we were sharing crickets for my Cham and his Gecko and I was having to go cricket shopping everyday or two just to get more. So I set him up with his own cricket keeper and tasked him with that as well. He's 8 but he acts like he's 12. It all depends on the child the age and of course the parenting.

@CamoChameleonsHuman yeah that's fine but your still involved with it. The parents of the @Calypratus and several others that have come and gone just buy the animal and turn it over to the kid and that's it. Won't buy food or supplies or vet visits. Almost all of these hit the forums asking for help and cannot do any of the things recommended because to the parents it's just a lizard.

Its sad and really a missed opportunity on the parents' part. If you are going to allow your kid to get a pet, it's up to you to teach your child how to care for it properly. Caring for an animal is a great thing for a kid to learn to do, under supervision.

When my kids were younger (they're teenagers now), their dad let them each buy a teeny tiny baby turtle outside the gas station one day (totally illegal), I didn't know anything about it. When I went to pick them up from his house the next day, there were the baby turtles, sitting in their deli cups still, no food or water. I was like, WTF?!?!? "Oh, we haven't bought them a tank or food yet." I was fuming mad--mostly at my ex, but since he was unemployeed and his house was being foreclosed I knew he wouldn't fix the situation. I checked and the seller was gone from the gas station. SO, since both the kids had gotten $200 each for christmas recently from grandma (earmarked for things they wanted) I said "get your cash, kids" and we went to the pet store. Their $400 later, and a half a day setting it all up, the baby turtles had a nice enclosure and the kids learnt a valuable lesson that day about impulse buys and the responsibilities of owning a pet.

Back
Top Bottom