My first pet chameleon (need advice)

His skin feels cold. I thought it was normal because, well, reptile skin isn't like mammals so it doesn't radiate heat..? I guess I got that wrong.
I put him in his tank and placed him under a desklight for the moment until I can prepare proper lighting.

Also, is it normal that he sleeps alot? When he sits on my head or hands he sleeps (closes his eyes). However, he's active in his tank.
If the chameleons unwell it can start sleeping in the day or if it's really stressed and scared it will close its eyes.

Go back to that damn pet store and let them have a piece of your mind!!!! It drives me crazy that they give out ALL the wrong information and don't deal with the consequences. Honestly if it was a chain store (petco, petsmart) I'd send letters to their corporate office and complain to the BBB. If it was an independent retailer I'd take out a complaint in the local paper. We can't continue to allow pet stores to mistreat animals and misinform customers. Why can we be charged with animal cruelty yet they can continually kill animals for profit and face no consequences?

Im not an expert by no means and am new to the forum as well though ive done extensive research and will try to help you as best i can..#1 scoop ALL that sand ASAP!!! Sand/substrate is a MEGA no no because it causes impactions or blockages in the intestines of the lizard if it eats it either by accident or intentionally..as for him sleeping during the day/eyes closed is not a good sighn no lights should be on at night at all not even blue or red lights those are for nocturnal reptiles only! I live in florida where you only need a UVB 5.0 reptisun and a typical 50-60 watt light bulb for heat lamp 6 inches above the outside of the cage NEVER on the inside though hope this helped your little one..ps you need a live safe plant for him to climb theres lists of non toxicplants and how to clean and prepare it to go in the cage so no toxic pesticides are on it hibiscus are safe and chams love munching on the pretty flowers :)

Oh and look up how to make a homemade dripper with a clean jug or juice bottle and let it drip down the leaves of the live plant for the cham to drink naturally also like plant keeps up the humidity a hygromiter is needed measures humidity and a thermomiter is needed to measure the cages tempereature but that obvious lol

For how long are you staying away from home? And how are you planning to take him/her home?
A UVB light is not enough, I'd keep him under the lamp as you said you do. But for the night he doesn't need any of those, it should be complete darkness.
And if you can't provide proper humidity yet (sorry but I don't know about electronic misters, I don't have one), I'd definitely try that shower I mentioned before, with warm water (not hot! Kinda like the temperature you'd use for a baby's bath). You hold your cham on your arm or a plant (like a ficus tgat he can hold on to) and start the shower above him. The water shouldn't hit her directly, she should be just next to it so she gets the vapour-ish part. This should take a while, keep her there a bit, she also might want to drink the water which would be really great, and her temperature will increase a bit also, I think.
And if you stay for a while where you are, I'd order live crickets, there are a ton of those sites, you can check how long it takes to deliver. She really needs a good meal, who knows for how long she lived on those damned frozen things.

Ragidi, I want to second Trace's observation that she appears to be a wild caught. That in itself poses LOTS of problems. The fact the animal is keeping her eyes closed is problematic.

How were you intending to ship her home? No airline will allow you to take her as excess baggage or carry on. The cheapest way is someone like Ship Your Reptiles (a site sponsor). The shipment goes through FedEx.

Shipping a chameleon that is already doing poorly is also going to make things worse. Where are you and where will is home? You can get overnight priority shipping such that you drop the animal all boxed late in the day or even early evening. They can be delivered the next morning. You absolutely should have her shipped to a FedEx hub and have it held for pick up. You will need to buy the proper supplies/packaging for shipping and very carefully follow the instructions. There are all kinds of laws and acts that apply to transporting live animals and live reptiles. You will need a heat pack.

I would not be having this chameleon out of a cage for a few reasons right now. First, she needs temps that are probably higher than the ambient room temperature. Since she is showing you that she is doing poorly (closed eyes), she will need temps on the upper range of normal for species. Both veileds and the species Trace mentioned need the same type of environment so just follow the care sheets for veileds. Second, she needs hydration. Hydration is a biggie. You need to mist her like crazy. Put in a non-toxic plant for her and keep misting. A lot. Don't worry about the cage drying out.

She needs live food. Find a pet store where you can buy crickets for the time being.

First questions: where are you, where is your final destination and when?

You really have your hands full with this girl. Everyone will do their best to try to help you, but don't underestimate the challenge you are facing.

This is why I hate pet stores stories like this drive me nuts I'd like to go there and give them a piece of my mind

Jeez! 2 years old in a cage with other chams? a pet store cage at that!? man I really wish you and your cham good luck. This cham is probably extremely stressed and malnourished. And on top of it you're about to ship it?

Well I really don't understand why a person would buy a chameleon if they were traveling by air. But that's beside the point. If you shower her make sure your shower has good lighting, I've realize with some of my chameleons since the lighting is so low when my shower curtain is pulled that some of my babies will fall asleep. Especially my rescues and won't drink.

Thank you all so much for your replies and advice. Sorry for the late reply, I was busy with last-minute errands before traveling back home.
First, yes I am really pissed at the pet store and I really wish I went back and gave them a piece of my mind x(

Alphys (I named her that :D) and I just traveled back home. I live in Saudi Arabia, Western Province. I was able to get her with me on the plane on the condition that I do not open her cage. I know it's very risky, but I did make sure to keep her warm and humid. I placed a few branches and leaves in her cage to help her feel more safe. Thanks for all the shipping advice though!

Fast forward to now:
Alphys is now sitting in a tall glass tank. I gave her three moist grasshoppers (the freeze dried ones unfortunately :( ). It's night time where I live and the stores closed for the day so I have very limited resources (until tomorrow when the stores open). I placed a spotlight over her tank (it's off because it's nighttime).

So now that she has a proper tank, here's what I'll get:

- a screen to cover the top of the tank
- tree branches
- plants
- large rocks (to help hold the plants in place)
- switch the spotlight with the UVB light bulb
- a spray bottle for misting

I'll be double checking the types of plants and trees before placing them inside her tank.

I know this will not be easy now that I also know she has been poorly living in the pet store. I will try my absolute best to give her the best living conditions. This forum is already on my Bookmarks bar in my computer and phone, so I'll be sure to check it frequently to stay educated about chameleons. I'm open to any suggestions, advice, or constructive criticism :D

Again, thank you all so much!

Thank you all so much for your replies and advice. Sorry for the late reply, I was busy with last-minute errands before traveling back home.
First, yes I am really pissed at the pet store and I really wish I went back and gave them a piece of my mind x(

Alphys (I named her that :D) and I just traveled back home. I live in Saudi Arabia, Western Province. I was able to get her with me on the plane on the condition that I do not open her cage. I know it's very risky, but I did make sure to keep her warm and humid. I placed a few branches and leaves in her cage to help her feel more safe. Thanks for all the shipping advice though!

Fast forward to now:
Alphys is now sitting in a tall glass tank. I gave her three moist grasshoppers (the freeze dried ones unfortunately :( ). It's night time where I live and the stores closed for the day so I have very limited resources (until tomorrow when the stores open). I placed a spotlight over her tank (it's off because it's nighttime).

So now that she has a proper tank, here's what I'll get:

- a screen to cover the top of the tank
- tree branches
- plants
- large rocks (to help hold the plants in place)
- switch the spotlight with the UVB light bulb
- a spray bottle for misting

I'll be double checking the types of plants and trees before placing them inside her tank.

I know this will not be easy now that I also know she has been poorly living in the pet store. I will try my absolute best to give her the best living conditions. This forum is already on my Bookmarks bar in my computer and phone, so I'll be sure to check it frequently to stay educated about chameleons. I'm open to any suggestions, advice, or constructive criticism :D

Again, thank you all so much!

Are you getting calcium, vitamins etc to dust her bugs with as well?

Go back to that damn pet store and let them have a piece of your mind!!!! It drives me crazy that they give out ALL the wrong information and don't deal with the consequences. Honestly if it was a chain store (petco, petsmart) I'd send letters to their corporate office and complain to the BBB. If it was an independent retailer I'd take out a complaint in the local paper. We can't continue to allow pet stores to mistreat animals and misinform customers. Why can we be charged with animal cruelty yet they can continually kill animals for profit and face no consequences?

Well I really don't understand why a person would buy a chameleon if they were traveling by air. But that's beside the point. If you shower her make sure your shower has good lighting, I've realize with some of my chameleons since the lighting is so low when my shower curtain is pulled that some of my babies will fall asleep. Especially my rescues and won't drink.

This animal was bought from a pet store in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Maybe you wrote your response before you realized the animal was not bought in North America. You don't have any understanding of what the pet market is like in Saudi Arabia. You can walk into a pet store and buy a hyena if you want. Or a lion.

Ragidi, glad you had no problem getting her on the flight. I love Saudia Airlines! I remember missing a flight to North America by a day. I called my mother to let her know we would be arriving the next afternoon, but looked at the date on the ticket and realized my flight would be arriving the day I was calling. My first flight had left more than 12 hours before! I called Saudia in a panic and they managed to cancel my Luftansa flight from Frankfurt to Toronto--it was leaving the gate in only minutes when I contacted Saudia Airlines--and just rebooked me that night. I didn't even have to pay any change fees. Very very flexible airline!

Please heed my advice on the salty tap water.

Do you have any connections that might be able to help you get bugs brought into the country?

Not yet unfortunately.
Your chameleon is probably a wild caught and a fairly recent wild caught. Nutrition is not your biggest worry right now because she probably hasn't been in captivity very long. Your biggest concern is hydration. Use bottled water.

I'm glad everything went well on the flight ^^ hopefully she'll settle in well, I would heed jajeanpierre's advice on the tap water situation, salt could cause your chameleon to get dehydrated instead of more hydrated. Bottled water!

Yes jajeanpierre I totally agree, Saudi Airlines are my favorite :D
And yes pet stores here in Saudi Arabia are, well, very unlike the pet stores in North America. But I digress.

I just bought a mister bottle and used bottled drinking water to fill it up. I misted the cage. Alphys then started to smack her lips. By smacking I mean she's opening her mouth, moving her tongue, then closing it. I assume it is to get moisture from the air. This made me so happy because she's getting hydrated! Also I caught two flies and put them in the cage with her at noon. It's night now and I don't see any sign of them so that means she ate them!

Oh and I also bought the Komodo dual gauge. It measures the temperature and humidity in the enclosure.

Thank you all so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom