My first experience with silkworms

Only until they turn grey/black etc? Have the fertile look? Then you put them in for a month.

I am EXTREMELY confused right now!! I have silkworm eggs hatching from a batch from the 13th!!! I did not think they where fertile because I didn't notice any color change but thought I would keep them around a few extra days just encase, then forgot about them when I moved them. I just "found" them, and I had 1 little worm, and the rest do not look far behind!!!

I thought it took months for them to hatch without being put in the fridge???

They get some light. I have them hanging from a string in my room. They are kind of set up like they would be if they where on a leaf in the wild.

I was thinking that maybe that 1 was an odd fluke, but I have had like 5 more hatch sense. So I don't know at this point weather I am doing something wrong or right o_O.

Honestly if they are getting a photoperiod it may be why they are hatching quickly. And what's your heat levels like in the room they are in?

I'm in the warmest room to start with because I get so much sun all day. Then I got my reptiles and feeders so I have added 4 heat lamps and a heating pad... So in the warmer months it's about 75-80ish I would say.

If f they are already hatching will I still be able to get some and put them in the fridge and only hatch out smaller quantities at a time?

I'm in the warmest room to start with because I get so much sun all day. Then I got my reptiles and feeders so I have added 4 heat lamps and a heating pad... So in the warmer months it's about 75-80ish I would say.

That's why, added heat, humidity and photoperiods will cause them to hatch at a fast rate. Though I am not sure if they will be well developed or not. It will be interesting to see for sure.

We will certainly find out, because I have a worm explosion going on here!!! They look alright so far, I mean from what I can see of them being so tiny and all, but they look just like the other tiny worms.

This is when you know you have had to many eggs hatch!!

Lots of silkworms 1.jpg
Lots of silkworms 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom