My first experience with silkworms

2 weeks is usually how long they take most of the time. I never cut mine, not even when most of mine were just regular white or zebra silks, and cutting it off to soon is asking for death and premature hatching from the cocoon which will cause sickly moths with various issues as far as organ formations. You need strong genetic lines in generations, even if they are just normal worms, or you asking for easily sick worms and moths that have poor egg production, fertilization, cocooning, hatching, etc etc.

The silk shouldn't be hard for a healthy moth to get out of no matter how thick it is considering the stuff that they spit on it dissolves the silk.

Thanks for your help @zordtaz & @Andee!

I'm not sure when they started cocooning, I meant to make a note of it but alas I did not. It sure feels like all four of the ever's ago though! That could just be me being excited and anxious for my first months though!

Thanks again guys, I will keep you posted

Proud new moth mama!!!!

IMG_20170912_063411.jpg

I wasn't really set up for a lot at first either, the amount of worms I had cocoon surprised me. So I had to make adjustments on the fly. I can't believe how easy I found the whole process to be. So now I'm excited to join the ranks of people who breed silkworms!!

Ummm it can take 2-4 days sometimes it takes 5 but very rarely. I will hope you get as many fertile as possible ^^ Idk if I should hope for all of them to be fertile XD that's quite a lot.

Lol if they are all fertile... :eek: idk, I hope they would all sell!! (y) one of my girls decided to lay tonight. I'm glad I check on them all the time!!

She likely will lay lots of eggs. If you can seperate her eggs, I would use them as breeders honestly. She has a healthy body shape and the father moth looks great as well.

Back
Top Bottom