My first experience with silkworms

Ok I will mark her eggs as keepers. She was HUGE when she hatched from her cocoon!! I have a lot that I think are going to come out like her. I am trying to play Cupid and make pairings of the really good looking ones.

Healthy genes are very important with these guys, it will save you a lot of loss in the long run.

How can I tell the difference between just taking a break, and done laying?? I don't want to move them before they are done, but it seems like whenever I think they are done they start laying again lol

They will likely lay and then die, whites don't usually lay and pair again, if they do you have some good breeders and should keep some of those as well

I found like 8 of them!!, And most of them had huge females in them! I don't know if it was the right thing to do but I cut them out, I was able to find and save 6 pairs.

And lucky me I have had 2 females breed and lay twice so far! And a 3rd is paired again right now! I have found that I have way more males than females right now so after the female lays her first batch I have been putting her in a separate box with a few "fresh" males. It seems to be working very well, we will just need to see if they are futile

As long as they come out as moth, I think it is fine. Glad that you can save them. I saw mine do double last time and I also did cut it out too. It is good for you that they can lay egg after the mate. Cheers!!

Whoo-hoo my first set of eggs have started changing color!!

IMG_20170915_153512.jpg

I now have over 15 confirmed batches of fertilized eggs!! And I have over 20 more that I am waiting for color change!! I posted them for sale :D

Did you put them in the fridge? I definitely recommend doing that, otherwise they take months upon months to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom