My first enclosure...be gentle!

ChameleonTherapy

Established Member
I'll be getting my panther baby in about a month. Tonight I started work on his bioactive enclosure. I have branches from the woods behind my house washed and set out to dry in the sun tomorrow to add to it tomorrow.

Any suggestions?
enclosure.jpg

This is looking great! The first thing that comes to mind to be improved is adding more horizontal branches. Supposedly they're most comfortable there. You also want to add these branches in the middle and towards the top of the cage. 6-9" from the top, or so.

More plants around the middle and top would be a great addition as well. Pothos are great. They're inexpensive, hard to kill, and dover a lot of room. Dragon ledges make them very easy to suspend in the air.

For more detailed recommendation please fill this out:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I've got the t5 10.0 bar UVB light, a heat lamp, and an LED grow light from Biodude. Still trying to figure out best placement of the heat and UVB to cover the basking branch. I need to get a hook to mount in the ceiling to hang the heat lamp from so its not resting on the cage.

Final version of enclosure with all branches and 2nd pothos added up top (Back right corner). Heat lamp will be hanging from ceiling hook in back left corner (branch added for basking if he wants to be directly under 12" away), UVB will go diagonally from back right to front left (basking is 9 inches below), and grow bar will remain horizontal on front side top.

How am I doing?

enclosurev3.jpg

There's about four hiding branches you cant see in the middle of the plants. I'm thinking that curvy branch towards the front will make a good feeding branch; I plan on mounting a cup for feeding on the left screen just below that bend in the branch. That will be for the hopping bugs, all the others I think I'm gonna let roam supervised so he can hunt. Those leaves towards the front hanging over the driftwood piece looks like a primo drinking fountain.

Great job! I would pull the moss vine though. Panthers will try to chew on branches... The moss vine is an impaction risk.

I plan to. There are some stiffer vines without all the moss on them at my reptile store.
Make sure they are not the exo terra jungle vines. They have a black coating that can come off. Honestly your better off with all real branches. The fake vines break down and can cause issues if the cham chews on them or rubs their face on them. :)

Looks just perfect!
AWEOMSE pfp btw. I had a similar character that was the son of a nyph and a green dragon. Crazy cool dude.

Looks just perfect!
AWEOMSE pfp btw. I had a similar character that was the son of a nyph and a green dragon. Crazy cool dude.
Thanks! I haven’t rolled him up yet; I am waiting for a friend to start running a Roll20 game. He’s either going to be a Ranger or a Rogue.

Back
Top Bottom